Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo Replacement - Digital to Analog

As some of you have seen, two of us (at least) are having MDC/Speedo problems with our 1998 Malibu boats. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I don't want to buy a new MDC-1600 computer, replace the calibration switches, and replace the two gauges because it would cost ~$700. So as an alternative, I'm thinking about analog gauges.

I have 2 questions:

1) With the current pitot setup, will analog gauges be compatible?

2) Are there any guages out there that would look appropriate in the dash - the background lighting is a redish color, not that that matters.

Thanks!

Check out the GPS speedo offered by Sensor1.com, I installed it in May and am very happy, $300. It is mounted to the dash, so if you are looking for a factory style, don't bother. It has a red display and is rectangular, 1.5"X3" I Had to replace the MDC in 2008 due to water leaking around the speedo box on the bottom of it. The water fried the MDC, so after repalcement I capped the tubes and searched for a GPS.

Edited by KYSportster
Check out the GPS speedo offered by Sensor1.com, I installed it in May and am very happy, $300. It is mounted to the dash, so if you are looking for a factory style, don't bother. It has a red display and is rectangular, 1.5"X3" I Had to replace the MDC in 2008 due to water leaking around the speedo box on the bottom of it. The water fried the MDC, so after repalcement I capped the tubes and searched for a GPS.

Here is a GPS speedo made by Livorsi. You can choose the trim, guage color, etc. It's on my Christmas list, about $500. Nice range for wakeboarding and skiing.

post-8942-1248703179_thumb.png

I had been considering this as well. My understanding is that the '97's had purely mechanical guages? Can someone confirm this? I thought I might just convert to a standard pitot driven speedometer as all of my other guages work correctly. The standard pitot speedo kits start at about $30 online (non malibu), but you'd have to do enough searching to find one that matched well enought that you were happy with it.

The nice thing about doing this change over, is that you already have the pick ups and tubes installed. I think you could just extend the lines under the dash to reach your new gauges, calibrate with a gps, and viola!

I could be completly wrong, anyone else have input?