Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 VTX wakes

JOno567

hey guys i am new to this website and was wondering how you weight your VTX and if you use the wedge or not to get the biggest wakes. Also, would you say this boat has a steep or mellow wake, or, are you able to change this with different weighting options??

PLEASE POST PICS OF YOUR WAKE IF U HAVE ANY :)

really appreciate it Thumbup.gif thanks

awesome!! we go boarding on the river aswell. the first picture is just near butterfly farm isnt it?? pretty sweet wake u have there, just wondering.. can u make the wake any steeper by adjusting ballast or speed??

awesome!! we go boarding on the river aswell. the first picture is just near butterfly farm isnt it?? pretty sweet wake u have there, just wondering.. can u make the wake any steeper by adjusting ballast or speed??

Having a wedge will add more/steeper ramp to the wake. With a power wedge you can dial it in to a nice crisp peak. For maximum factory wake, add the bow ballast option and lots of friends.

i havent really tried diffrent weighting places,

i dont know if you just run the two rear tanks it would make the boat sit deeper in the rear and make a it a bit more verticle,

but the wedge makes it so much more versatile and you can adjust the peakiness

we have the red and charcoal vtx up there, we ride every weekend rain or shine, and put in at the windsor ramp,

Edited by boat1956

wow what a small world!! we go in at windsor aswell! maybe we'll have to catch up sometime.

'the black pearl'- is there a difference between a power wedge and manual wedge?

- is it worth getting the bow ballast for the extra $900?

thanks heaps guys :)

yeh sure we will catch up, if you see us up their give us a wave or if we see you we will give you a wave,

what boat do you have?

sorry for sort of misleading the thread

Wakeboarding:

I use just center ballast full and no wedge, for my wife and daughter. Beginners that want small air...but they are getting better. they like to ride at 18.4 MPH.

For me i ride at 20.4MPH rear hard tanks half full, center full and 2 clicks of wedge up from full down position "Auto Wedge". It's a good full wake not too steep.

Wakeskate:

18.4 MPH, no wedge, Half rear tank and full center

Surf:

8.8 to 10.8 MPH Full center, rear hard tank and rear locker sac "400Lb" full and all passengers on the sac side. <150Lb wedge down all the way....you might go 1 or 2 clicks up for heavier riders 200+Lb.

Hope this helps.

PS... everyone takes pics but my wife. Cry.gif

Edited by cyoda44

cyoda44, how do you wakeskate at 18.4mph? the water is so soft at that speed when you slam the tail into the water to ollie its just mushy and doesnt pop you up. and the drag has to be killer on your arms.

wow what a small world!! we go in at windsor aswell! maybe we'll have to catch up sometime.

'the black pearl'- is there a difference between a power wedge and manual wedge?

- is it worth getting the bow ballast for the extra $900?

thanks heaps guys :)

12v Tease2.gif

Seriously though, there are 3 types (at least) of wedges, with probably more than one generation of at least the fixed wedge

1) fixed wedge (manual) - locks up, or locks down - not sold anymore, replaced by the 'floating wedge'

2) floating wedge (manual) , locks up, or unlocks and floats in the down position free to move, but is self optimizing (have never used one, but they are supposed to be pretty good).

3) power wedge, just what is sounds like, move up and down electrically, plus when down you can adjust the position which affects the downforce and resulting wake.

I would order the bow ballast if I had it to do over. I think it was like $500 US though or something like that.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

does bow ballast actully help that much? i have heard from my dealer that it is only to keep the bow down when you run power wedge and doesnt affect the wake at all?

can anyone answer that

cyoda44, how do you wakeskate at 18.4mph? the water is so soft at that speed when you slam the tail into the water to ollie its just mushy and doesnt pop you up. and the drag has to be killer on your arms.

Beginner..... just trying to figure out how to ride... pointers are welcome. The board gets a little too "slippery" when i go 20MPH

Not the best picture of the wake (nor is it from an '09 Biggrin.gif )

DSC_1280.JPG

...and who needs a big wake to get big air anyways:

DSC_2388.JPG

You need to get the "big boys" over to the corner more instead of sitting in the middle of the sunpad.

You need to get the "big boys" over to the corner more instead of sitting in the middle of the sunpad.

I can't stop laughing. You are absolutly correct!

Not the best picture of the wake (nor is it from an '09 Biggrin.gif )

DSC_1280.JPG

...and who needs a big wake to get big air anyways:

DSC_2388.JPG

I was thinking the same thing, but not bad to have a little fun even with what they have :) anytime on the water is good Thumbup.gif

cyoda44, it will feel "slippery" for the first couple times but you will get used to it. just ride with your back foot all the way back and your weight even over the board. it is super hard to learn to ride at 18mph because the sped tires you out fast and doesnt allow you to learn tricks.

We ride around 20.4-21 mph at either 65-70ft. with our vtx (wake hull). We have all 4 tanks full with an additional 640 lb bag down the center of the boat and another 440 lb bag in front of the back bench. The wedge is in the full down position and we get the following wake: http://gallery.me.com/j.blazeiko#100010/P1010032

There are 4 people in the boat as well. Not the best picture as it was pulled from a video but it shows you that the vtx can throw out a pretty big wake with a little extra weight in it.