Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trailer hitch reciever drop

I just bought my neighbors 03 response and need to pick up the trailer. I am going to buy a new drawbar to haul the trailer but do not know what inch drop drawbar I need. I was thinking a 2 inch drop. I want the trailer to be level but the trailer is in storage and I can not get to it to measure until I go to pick it up. I am going to pull with either an 07 Tahoe or a silverado 4x4 1500. I know this is a random question but any input would be great. Thanks, Jason

I thought the drop was primarily due to balancing a trailer when there is not enough tongue weight to have a stable ride. Here, a boat has plenty of weight to go straight out without a problem. I do not like my chains and electrical dragging so I use a straight out hitch and have never even noticed the trailer there. I have a GMC Denali Truck and so maybe comparable to your Tahoe although I have 20# rims. It works good for me and appears close enough to level for me. Most importantly, I do not even notice the trailer there except in the gas mileage and it is harder for me to speed.

MalibuNation

I pull my 2003 21' Sunscape w/ dual axles with a 2003 1 ton Ford 4wd and use a 4" drop. I'm guesing 2-3" drop would be fine for your setup.

i pull my 08 Sunscape (Boatmate TA) with a 2008 Silverado Crew Cab (1/2T 4x4).

I have a 2" LIFT from my receiver and the trailer rides perfectlly level.

I would pick up the boat with whatever you have, and then go to a flat parking lot and see what adjustment needs to me made.

A bar and ball is pretty inexpensive to get a level ride, even if you need one for each tow vehicle.

I just bought my neighbors 03 response and need to pick up the trailer. I am going to buy a new drawbar to haul the trailer but do not know what inch drop drawbar I need. I was thinking a 2 inch drop. I want the trailer to be level but the trailer is in storage and I can not get to it to measure until I go to pick it up. I am going to pull with either an 07 Tahoe or a silverado 4x4 1500. I know this is a random question but any input would be great. Thanks, Jason

I have an 07 Yukon Denali and a 2004 wakesetter on a Boatmate TA trailer and had to use an 8" drop to get it level.

I would pick up the boat with whatever you have, and then go to a flat parking lot and see what adjustment needs to me made.

A bar and ball is pretty inexpensive to get a level ride, even if you need one for each tow vehicle.

I'll second that. You want the trailer to ride level or as close as possible. The hardest part is figuring out how much your suspension is going to compress once the weight of the trailer is added.

What I have also done in the past is level the unconnected trailer using the tongue jack. Measure the distance from the bottom of the coupler to the ground. Then measure the distance from the bottom of the hitch receiver to the ground on the unloaded vehicle. The difference between the two is your "therotical drop" (or rise if the trailer is higher than the receiver). Depending on tongue weight your vehicle should drop 1-2 inches when loaded. So take the "theoretical drop" and subtract and inch or so to compensate for the suspension compressing.

Can you tell I'm an engineer? Biggrin.gif