Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

750 Fly High Sacks -- "Auto Drain"?

Olive

I recently replaced by hard tanks in my 04 VLX and installed the "tank busters" (thanks dgoose!) -- lately I've notice if we're wakeboarding that the bags drain post filling? The water isn't leaking -- and it is not going through the discharge or vent -- it "has" to be going through the fill pump (too much positive pressure?) -- 1) has anyone else had this problem; and/or 2) what about installing a ball valve -- open for filling and then closing to retain the full sack? Your thoughts? Thanks!

I recently replaced by hard tanks in my 04 VLX and installed the "tank busters" (thanks dgoose!) -- lately I've notice if we're wakeboarding that the bags drain post filling? The water isn't leaking -- and it is not going through the discharge or vent -- it "has" to be going through the fill pump (too much positive pressure?) -- 1) has anyone else had this problem; and/or 2) what about installing a ball valve -- open for filling and then closing to retain the full sack? Your thoughts? Thanks!

If it is actualy draining thru the fill line. all you should need to do is run the fill line with a antisiphon mounted higher than the top of the bag. you could also try to loop it but the antisiphon is the way to go. hope that helps.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=994

That's too much money for those! Just add a loop in your current system or pick up some ball valves from home depot for a few bucks.

I agree, that is a lot for a little piece of plastic, I did find them for a little less at another retailer.

For what its worth, I had the tubes looped up as high as I could get them, but the sacs still drained! The valves would work for sure, but I wanted to keep it as automatic as possible.

Maybe 12VDC solenoid type valves connected to the fill pump's circuit?

Is the waterline above the thru hulls? You might be getting a "siphon" effect from the thru hulls? I think thats whats happening with mine because it is draining the center tank also. I checked and my air vent for the center is "Y"ed into my rear hard tank vent line. I don't have an issue untill we start to surf. I just turn the pumps on every other rider.

My vote would be to install a check valve, that way you can keep it fully automatic.

I did that back in the days that I used 3/4" hose but now I use 1" id and the check valves aren't at Lowes so I'm too lazy to hunt them down.

And the reason I use the 1" id is for the super fast fill up and don't want to compromise that.

Olive, I have an 00 Vlx and was having the same problems...only mine were draining out the drain line. This occurred from the initial take off the drain lines were under water, then when up on plane they came out of the water creating a natural siphon which drained the sacks. All I did was put ball valves on the fill and drain lines. I made sure to make them easy to reach so I can quickly close them up. Since I already keep an eye on the bags when they fill by opening the lockers (so as not to add too much weight), it isnt bad simply closing them off when they are all full.

Olive, I have an 00 Vlx and was having the same problems...only mine were draining out the drain line. This occurred from the initial take off the drain lines were under water, then when up on plane they came out of the water creating a natural siphon which drained the sacks. All I did was put ball valves on the fill and drain lines. I made sure to make them easy to reach so I can quickly close them up. Since I already keep an eye on the bags when they fill by opening the lockers (so as not to add too much weight), it isnt bad simply closing them off when they are all full.

I think I'll try that approach -- as I'm not sure if I'm losing our the fill or the drain -- still vs the 250 hard tanks, these fly high sacks are great for surfing... perhaps the retailers will include them in the kit going forward?

Olive-

We haven't seen or heard about that happening yet, but I'm sure we can figure out a solution for you. Assuming you ordered the kit from us (you reference TankBuster in your first name), give us a ring and we'll figure it out.

For anyone else with this problem, if you want it to be fully automatic you can install a check valve (we have them in 3/4" and 1" sizes) or a vented loop. If you don't mind doing a little work then you can use a ball valve and manually open and close it. A solenoid valve is more expensive than the entire system if you want one that won't impact system performance, so that probably doesn't make sense for most people.