Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I Can't Get Up On The Skinny Ski

Baddog

Make sure you are not wearing a real baggy bathing suit. If I wear certain board shorts, they act like parachutes, try putting on a shorty to see if that helps. The driver should be watching you carefully to see how you need the power rolled on. Keep at it, it will come.

After another successful launch I have come up with this thottle recipe

Smooth progression to 1/4 throttle until its evident tips coming out and ski is aligned.

Slow progressong to 1/2 throttle watching to see that the skier is emerging.

Once you can see the skiers back foot or a good portion of the ski, throttle up to get to cruising speed.

Let me know if this works out. I have a pretty good success rate this year so far getting people up 6 for 7.- i.e. my frustration of not being able to get up myself.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• bobofthenorth

• davemac

• Sunsetter95

After another successful launch I have come up with this thottle recipe

Smooth progression to 1/4 throttle until its evident tips coming out and ski is aligned.

Slow progressong to 1/2 throttle watching to see that the skier is emerging.

Once you can see the skiers back foot or a good portion of the ski, throttle up to get to cruising speed.

Let me know if this works out. I have a pretty good success rate this year so far getting people up 6 for 7.- i.e. my frustration of not being able to get up myself.

Ive found every skier to be different, some need to be dragged before throttling, some need a full of throttle slam but most respond to a progressive roll on. It is key to watch your skier, years ago I switched to a 4 blade prop which really helps me as a driver to delver a smooth, smooth roll on because of the torque, that being said what works for my hull- engine combo may not suit others.

Ive found every skier to be different, some need to be dragged before throttling, some need a full of throttle slam but most respond to a progressive roll on. It is key to watch your skier, years ago I switched to a 4 blade prop which really helps me as a driver to delver a smooth, smooth roll on because of the torque, that being said what works for my hull- engine combo may not suit others.

For sure, definitely have 3 different preferences out of 4 people that I ski with including myself. For me, bring it on from a idling drag, my buddy likes a fast, fast drag, and my wife likes to be still. In all cases though I roll the throttle in vary degrees but ususally tell them to hit the stops for me.

For sure, definitely have 3 different preferences out of 4 people that I ski with including myself. For me, bring it on from a idling drag, my buddy likes a fast, fast drag, and my wife likes to be still. In all cases though I roll the throttle in vary degrees but ususally tell them to hit the stops for me.

I used to think BF pulls required the most finesse, but age and wgt. of my skiing clan has changed my mind. We used to be able to deep start on a oar behind a 115 OB but we weighed a buck fiddy. I have started skiing on a HO triumph and bagged the Conelly concept because it starts much easier and performs great for me.

We recently took the plunge and bought our first V-drive. Having skiied all my life behind outboards it feels like I have had to relearn everything to get a good set behind the VTX. I don't remember a time where I failed coming out behind the old OB but now it was a comon occurance this spring for the boat to leave me behind. I share your frustration but have relearned a few things.

1. Keep your head down, chin to your chest.

2. With the unlimited power of these boats driving is key, too little power hurts less than too much.

3. I count, stops me from trying to stand up right away. Used to be a count to "2 one thousand" with the OB but I find a slow pull and a count to 4 or 5 works good for the new boat, any harder and I pull hamstrings.

4. Stay calm and patient. A fatman ski makes getting out easier but you'll miss the skinny ski on your first hard cut. Its worth the couple of extra seconds to come out on a real ski.

It keeps getting easier every time, just have to get used to things.