Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sky Ski help

H2Idah0

My wife is a below knee amputee on the left leg. We decided to have her learn to ride the sky ski. We began last week and she is doing well getting out of the water but stuggles to stay up very long. Anyone know anyone in Pocatello or Boise Idaho that is a rider? Or the best instructional videos? Any hints out there for us?

By the way, we are having a blast trying to learn it!

My wife is a below knee amputee on the left leg. We decided to have her learn to ride the sky ski. We began last week and she is doing well getting out of the water but stuggles to stay up very long. Anyone know anyone in Pocatello or Boise Idaho that is a rider? Or the best instructional videos? Any hints out there for us?

Bill Air Junky is located in Spokane. Maybe you could hook up with him?

I have one buddy in the Boise area, Jerry, who is almost always looking for someone to come out & ride with him. PM me & I'll get you an email address.

We have had the best luck with amputees when they use their prosthetic. After they get the hang of riding the ski, they might be fine without it. But they need to be able to push/pull evenly on each side of the board.

Recently I started using training wheels for first time riders who have a problem getting up. Their just old skis that we rigged as outriggers on either side of the SkySki. Keeps the person from falling over to the side. They get up at 5 or 6 miles per hour & can concentrate on learning to steer. After getting up a dozen or so times, we pull the outriggers off & many times they get right up easily without them.

trainingwheels.jpg

trainingwheels2.jpg

Another trick is to tie a piece of string around the t-bar. It will be enough drag that the rider will have a tough time getting too high on the foil, and will force the board to stay down on the water.

BTW, we have an unsanctioned camping weekend on the Snake River coming up near TriCities. Your welcome to come out & join us.

I live in the Coeur d'Alene area. If your ever in the area, give me a call or email.

Good luck.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Hey, I live in Boise and would be glad to assist however I could. AirJunky sent me over to check you out.

Mark lives up in Idaho Falls too. He is a great guy and always willing.

And speaking of unsanctioned, I'm planning on hosting a "get together" first part of September down in Boise. All about foiling!

Talk to you soon.

Are you using a wakeboard rope? A ski rope will not work for a beginner, 3 weekends lost using the wrong type of rope.

Edited by colobuskier

It may take some time, but she'll love it once she catches the hang of it. Good on her for staying on the water! Thumbup.gif

I am an above knee amputee and I just slalom ski with one leg. I have always wanted to try a foil but no one in my area has one and they are ungodly expensive. If you are ever up in the Bozeman or Hebgen Lake area drop me a line and I would be happy to show her how to waterski on one leg. If I could figure out how to post a pic here I would send a few reference images.

Good luck.

Andrew