Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where do I stick the garden hose?

She was plum full of gas when this happened, my no start issue. I replaced the battery and I just removed all spark plugs turn her over no water, I went and bought new spark plugs just put them in. Now where do I put the garden hose so I can turn her over

You could just pull the raw water pickup off of the hull fitting & stick the hose up inside. Best to get a Fake A Lake to run in the driveway in the future, JMO. Did you gap the plugs correctly before you put them in?

Yes, what Wakegirl says is another option. Let us know if she fires up. You can call me @ 480-365-8989 if you want. //Brian

I gave up hubby's getting irritated, says I'm obsessed, no I am just p*ssed because we have missed two awesome nights. I am pretty sure I gapped them right I bought on of those thingies when I bought the plugs and hubby measured and gapped them the same. I wanted to take it back down to the river but it's too dark. What the heck could it be?

You can try to start it for a few seconds with no water feeding. Just try long enough it see if it will fire up. Don't let it run any longer than 10 seconds or you will burn up the impeller in your raw water pump. That might give you some satifaction.

Yep that's the plan somehow I gotta sneak away tomorrow and get it going. With the EFI can I spray starter fluid in the air filter? I'm taking pics tommorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. I also found the leak, it's definetly the shaft packing nut thing, it was just streaming in as I was trying to start it tonight. That's gonna be fun to get to. the nuts are right between the engine whole and the back cover.

You can try to start it for a few seconds with no water feeding. Just try long enough it see if it will fire up. Don't let it run any longer than 10 seconds or you will burn up the impeller in your raw water pump. That might give you some satifaction.

i

I am too paranoid to do that, I'll wait till morning I guess. I wish I was mechanically inclined, allthough tonight hubby showed me how to change the plugs.

Yep that's the plan somehow I gotta sneak away tomorrow and get it going. With the EFI can I spray starter fluid in the air filter? I'm taking pics tommorrow so you can see what I'm talking about. I also found the leak, it's definetly the shaft packing nut thing, it was just streaming in as I was trying to start it tonight. That's gonna be fun to get to. the nuts are right between the engine whole and the back cover.

Remove the airfilter first and hold the throttle open and spray a little in. Then try to start. Just do this enough to determine if you have a fuel problem. Don't try to run it on starter fluid very long,...just a few seconds.

It's easier to talk to someone over the phone and explain what to do. But I understand your being hesitant to call. I didn't know until just a couple of posts ago that you are a female. I understand how odd that might seem to you husband if you were to call some other guy this late at night to talk about boats.

It's easier to talk to someone over the phone and explain what to do. But I understand your being hesitant to call. I didn't know until just a couple of posts ago that you are a female. I understand how odd that might seem to you husband if you were to call some other guy this late at night to talk about boats.

Oh I already have your number in my phone I just need step by step instructions and it's too dark now, hubbyh already thinks I am crazy obsessed, so I am pretending that it's all cool, till tommorrow, I will probably be calling you tommorow as soon as I get her to the river. /Thanks for the help.

What time will you be going? I'm at work now as I work the night shift here at Intel. I will be sleeping tomorrow during the morning til early afternoon. If you call before 8 AM Pacific time or after about 2:30 that will be fine. Hope you get her going. It's a real bummer when the boat's down I know. Talk to ya soon. Gotta go tend to some tools.

What time will you be going? I'm at work now as I work the night shift here at Intel. I will be sleeping tomorrow during the morning til early afternoon. If you call before 8 AM Pacific time or after about 2:30 that will be fine. Hope you get her going. It's a real bummer when the boat's down I know. Talk to ya soon. Gotta go tend to some tools.

I work with a couple of guys like that myself! Biggrin.gif

Oh it'll be after 2:30 for sure, I work 8 to 6pm but I brought BU to work with me today, my hubby wants me to try and pull a spark plug out of the engine and try to start it to see if I have spark, I am such a chicken at first so right now I am working up the nerve to go do it.

Spark plugs generally will not cause an engine to not start. Check for spark at the distributor cap coil wire. Remove the wire (center wire) and stick a screw driver in there and hold the metal part of the screw driver 1/8 inch from a metal part of the engine then crank her over you will see the spark if there is one. The starting fluid is a great idea to isolate the fuel and ignition system.

martinarcher
Spark plugs generally will not cause an engine to not start. Check for spark at the distributor cap coil wire. Remove the wire (center wire) and stick a screw driver in there and hold the metal part of the screw driver 1/8 inch from a metal part of the engine then crank her over you will see the spark if there is one. The starting fluid is a great idea to isolate the fuel and ignition system.

Great advice - just be sure to not touch the metal part of the screwdriver while someone cranks the motor. I've been bitten my the coil before - it won't harm you, but it hurts! Mad.gif

If the engine is EFI then do not spray starting fluid in it. There is no need t supply it with starting fluid. when you turn the key on the inj will prime the engine, that is all it needs. If you have new plugs, fire at the plugs and fuel it will start. it may not run good or for long but it will start. An engine is just a air pump, it only needs O2, fuel and fire to start, it needs proper tuning to stay running.

Refering back to your thread, "I feel like a jerk but dang..., How many people go boating with you?",.............

I would say give the GF the fake lake and a hose. Tell her to have some fun and stay off the boat. Now she can get wet on shore and you have one less person in the boat. Whistling.gif

If the engine is EFI then do not spray starting fluid in it. There is no need t supply it with starting fluid. when you turn the key on the inj will prime the engine, that is all it needs. If you have new plugs, fire at the plugs and fuel it will start. it may not run good or for long but it will start. An engine is just a air pump, it only needs O2, fuel and fire to start, it needs proper tuning to stay running.

That's true if the fuel system is working properly. If not, the starting fluid will allow the engine to kick and run for a second or two. If that happens then you will know you have spark but no fuel getting to the motor.

Dang ! I wish I could get My Wife to change the boat plugs and the IMPELLER TOO ! luvtheBu your Awesome Rockon.gif

Hope you get the boat all tuned up.

Dang ! I wish I could get My Wife to change the boat plugs and the IMPELLER TOO ! luvtheBu your Awesome Rockon.gif

..let alone buying me a boat. I must be plaing it all wrong.

Did you try the spark thing? I'm guessing pulling a plug, leaving it connected to the plug wire, laying in on it's side with the threaded part touching the engine, cranking and looking for spark. That might take 2 people, one cranking one watching the plug.

I have to learn it cost to dang much and they take too long to fix it if it brakes and you have to take it to the marina, I get PMS when it's over 75 degrees and we aren't out on the water, plus I promised hubby I would so I could fib about the true meaning of BustOutAnotherThousand, I couldn't talk him into a new boat with warrany so I got hopefully a good used boat that just needs basics. So far he has taught me to pull plugs, gap plugs and put back in. Now he wants me to pull out plug leave it attached to coil and try to dry start to check for spark.

I like XT104 idea, because Wakegirl said check distributor, I just wasn't sure what I should be looking for. I am a little confused though, you pull out the center wire, is there a plug in there? Do I put the plastic part of the screwdriver in there and then point it towards the engine and leave it about 1/8 in away and have someone start it?

martinarcher

I have to learn it cost to dang much and they take too long to fix it if it brakes and you have to take it to the marina, I get PMS when it's over 75 degrees and we aren't out on the water, plus I promised hubby I would so I could fib about the true meaning of BustOutAnotherThousand, I couldn't talk him into a new boat with warrany so I got hopefully a good used boat that just needs basics. So far he has taught me to pull plugs, gap plugs and put back in. Now he wants me to pull out plug leave it attached to coil and try to dry start to check for spark.

I like XT104 idea, because Wakegirl said check distributor, I just wasn't sure what I should be looking for. I am a little confused though, you pull out the center wire, is there a plug in there? Do I put the plastic part of the screwdriver in there and then point it towards the engine and leave it about 1/8 in away and have someone start it?

It's easy.

Locate your distributor (it is where the other end of all the spark plugs come together on the back side of the motor).

There will be nine "spark plug" wires coming out of the top of it. The 8 outside wires are spark plug wires and the center one is the one you are after (the other end goes to your coil).

Unplug the center wire from the distributor. The other end will still be connected to the coil.

Holding the screwdriver by the plastic handle, insert the "driver" or metal end into the end of the wire you just removed.

While holding the screwdriver in the wire, move the metal shank of the screwdriver within an 1/8" of the metal engine block.

Have someone crank the engine and watch for spark jumping from the screwdriver shaft to the block - you can do this in the driveway because the motor will not start (no electric will get to the spark plugs).

Let me know if you have questions. Once again - don't touch the metal part of the screwdriver while cranking the engine. There will be electric flowing through it. Not anything that will harm you, but it hurts.