Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help, RPM gauge and Perfect Pass freaked out...

Took my wife and kids out this AM and all was well...at first. About 1.5 hours into our trip, my RPM gauge and Perfect Pass (was not in use at the time) started flashing and beeping at me. The RPM needle started jumping all over the place. Eventually they both flat lined and quit working but the boat kept running normal. My battery was showing 14, oil pressure normal and temp normal. Had the stereo on but turned way down low and it began cutting in and out.

We made it back to the dock and I shut off the boat and tried to restart...nuthin! I assume this is a battery problem and everything was working because of the alternator but should I be worried about anything else???

What voltage is your battery showing with the engine not running? Sounds more like a connection problem since it was showing 14v while running. I'd start by cleaning the terminals well. Sometimes they look clean but can get a little glaze on them and not make a good connection. How old are your batteries?

Two battery system, one is brand new one is a year old. My connections are perfectly clean but I need to check them for tightness. I called Perfect Pass and they told me to check the connection under the dash but I think it's the battery because of the way my stereo was cutting in and out.

I don't know, I'll check it tonight when I get home. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Just thought I'd jump back on here and let everyone know this was all due to a low battery. I went home and put a good slow charge on both batteries and now problem is fixed. I tested the batt's prior to charge and reading was 9 volts.

Charge your batteries is the lesson...I guess. Thanks for the help though!

Two battery system, one is brand new one is a year old. My connections are perfectly clean but I need to check them for tightness. I called Perfect Pass and they told me to check the connection under the dash but I think it's the battery because of the way my stereo was cutting in and out.

I don't know, I'll check it tonight when I get home. Any other thoughts are welcome.

I know we were having a stereo problem and after spending time trying to fish it out somehow the battery switch was flip to 1 and not both. Might be worth a quick look.