Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RRRRR RRRRR RRRRR Won't Start, What the heck???

I'm dieing here, I left work grabbed the boat, it has never not started. It is a 1994 Malibu Echelon with a 454 EFI. Battery is a little older but it still turns it over. The only thing different today was that it was about 5 gallons to being empty and it was super hot today, I filled it all the way up tonight and when Pyro was backing it in the water he did it kindof fast, I don't know why that would matter but I'm giving all details, so anyways he backs it down as far as I think he is going to and I start it, it starts right up then he inadvertantly backs another two feet into the water, caught me off guard but the engine died none the less, why I don't know I instantly tried to start it back up and rrrr rrrr rrrr nothing I pulled the neutral buttom floored it, (did I flood it?, the prior owner said he did this when it wouldn't start) anyways same thing rrr r rrr rrrrr nothing. I went to my work got my jumpbox hooked it up headed back to the river and still nothing. Now it's 9:30 and I won't be able to sleep, can anyone help?

It doesn't have one that I can see, all my other boats had one I think by the nuetral button, heck I cannot remember.

Do you have exhaust flaps (can't imagine you don't or are they damaged/missing?)I would hate to think you got water pushed up the exhaust pipe if you really were backed in hard. That could lead to the symptoms. It is also possible the back pressure from backing killed the motor, but you didn't get any water in there. I am not really sure what to check, maybe pull a plug and check it. Could have flooded it, then soaked the plugs to where they didn't want to fire.

Another possibility is perhaps some water got forced into you fill neck. If the gas cap gasket is deteriated this could happen. Especially if water gets splashed up over the transom. If water gets in the tank it goes straight to the bottom and gets picked up immediately. Try spraying a little starter fluid in the throttle body and see if it fires. If it does you may have found the problem. If it does not,... start checking your ignition.

I'm gonna run home in a few and check that out. He backed me in pretty hard and fast, then shocked me with another 2 feet after I had it going, I was trying not to yell at him but I wanted to. What if I did get water in the exhaust?

I just bought my boat and went through the ignition system and it was in very poor condition. I changed out the plugs and was surprised the boat even ran. Replaced rotor, cap, ign wires and plugs. If this hasn't been done that would be the first thing on my list. Second would be a carb service.

Do you have exhaust flaps (can't imagine you don't or are they damaged/missing?)I would hate to think you got water pushed up the exhaust pipe if you really were backed in hard. That could lead to the symptoms. It is also possible the back pressure from backing killed the motor, but you didn't get any water in there. I am not really sure what to check, maybe pull a plug and check it. Could have flooded it, then soaked the plugs to where they didn't want to fire.
I just bought my boat and went through the ignition system and it was in very poor condition. I changed out the plugs and was surprised the boat even ran. Replaced rotor, cap, ign wires and plugs. If this hasn't been done that would be the first thing on my list. Second would be a carb service.

It is fuel injected but I havn't checked the plugs yet. I am running home pretty soon to check plugs and exhaust.

I'm gonna run home in a few and check that out. He backed me in pretty hard and fast, then shocked me with another 2 feet after I had it going, I was trying not to yell at him but I wanted to. What if I did get water in the exhaust?

Well there is certainly more than one way to read that one... Whistling.gif

Clean 'er up there, Shine, we try to keep this close to a family site. But, heck, now that I read that passage again it is more interesting.

Luv, how steep was the ramp? If you only had 5 gallons in the tank and a modrately steep angle, could have simply run out of fuel at the pick up in the tank.

Clean 'er up there, Shine, we try to keep this close to a family site. But, heck, now that I read that passage again it is more interesting.

Luv, how steep was the ramp? If you only had 5 gallons in the tank and a modrately steep angle, could have simply run out of fuel at the pick up in the tank.

Baddog makes a good point here,... 5 gallons is not much fuel in a 32 gallon tank (that's what my Echelon holds). Luv, I re-read your original post and I take it that you didn't fuel the boat up to full until the evening after. Is that right? So forgive me for asking the obvious,... but have you tried starting on a full tank in your driveway?

If you did get water in the exhaust and it got into your engine,...just remove all the spark glugs and turn the engine over several times with the starter and blow it out. Do this very soon so that minimal corrosion sets in. Put the plugs back in and see if it starts. If not,...try a little bit of starter fluid (or gas) in the throttle body and try starting again. If it starts briefly then dies again you have fuel system issues or maybe water in your tank. If still nothing,... start looking at the ignition. Do you know what type ignition system you have?

I love you guys and I'm chuckling to myself right now, no I filled her up plum full. I replace the battery and I just removed all spark plugs turn her over no water, I went and bought new spark plugs just put them in. Now where do I put the garden hose so I can turn her over?

I love you guys and I'm chuckling to myself right now, no I filled her up plum full. I replace the battery and I just removed all spark plugs turn her over no water, I went and bought new spark plugs just put them in. Now where do I put the garden hose so I can turn her over?

Call me at 480-365-8989

Do you have a fake-a-lake? It is basically a commode plunger with a water hose connection plumbed into it. Attach the hose and fix it to the bottom of the boat where your water pickup is.

Biggrin.gif nothing like a little innuendo to end the day...

Biggrin.gif nothing like a little innuendo to end the day...

Let's face it: you probably can't go to jail for inuendo. I hope that's true anyway.