Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Driver seat too low

-BS-

Ok, I dug and dug through the forums and couldn't find much on this. My drivers seat is a bit too low for my liking (I'm 6' 1") and I'm interested in raising it.

Is there a mod kit available to raise the driver's seat a few inches (09Vride) or are people piecing together their own mod kits? Anyone have anything that has worked well and stood the test of time? Pictures would be helpful. Actually, any advice would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I explore all the options available to me before I start drawing something up myself.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

There was a post about this not long ago but I can’t find it.

I had the same problem but was too cheap to buy a new seat or a bolster kit. I removed my seat and added a couple of 2x4’s painted tan so they would blend with the seat color. Pay attention to the length and you’ll still be able to move the seat back and forth. I’ve had this “cheap fix” set-up now for three years and it works great.

I do not know what your seat looks like, but I have an '04 VLX with the bolster seat and it was still too low for my liking without the bolster up. I added 2 layers of 1" square aluminum tubing between the seat and the swivel/slider. All I needed was the tubing and longer SST bolts. Real easy.

Patrick

Ok, I dug and dug through the forums and couldn't find much on this. My drivers seat is a bit too low for my liking (I'm 6' 1") and I'm interested in raising it.

Is there a mod kit available to raise the driver's seat a few inches (09Vride) or are people piecing together their own mod kits? Anyone have anything that has worked well and stood the test of time? Pictures would be helpful. Actually, any advice would be much appreciated. I just want to make sure I explore all the options available to me before I start drawing something up myself.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

I used TREX deck scrap and a hole saw. Cut (4) 1.5" disks. The hole saw even predrills the mounting hole for you. You need to buy (2) more 1" longer stainless bolts for the front mount and the old front bolts will be used for the back mount. Put the TREX discs and the original black plastic discs in the front stack and just the TREX for the rear.

It was the perfect hight for me 6'1" and much, much better for my 5'4" (really 5'2") wife.

Good Luck!

Dwayne

I used TREX deck scrap and a hole saw. Cut (4) 1.5" disks. The hole saw even predrills the mounting hole for you. You need to buy (2) more 1" longer stainless bolts for the front mount and the old front bolts will be used for the back mount. Put the TREX discs and the original black plastic discs in the front stack and just the TREX for the rear.

It was the perfect hight for me 6'1" and much, much better for my 5'4" (really 5'2") wife.

Good Luck!

Dwayne

How much did it raise it by? ie. How tall is TREX?

edit: Same goes for the rest. How much taller did you end up with? Woudl you have made it taller if you did it again?

Edited by Jimmypooh

Good Luck!

Dwayne

How much did it raise it by? ie. How tall is TREX?

edit: Same goes for the rest. How much taller did you end up with? Woudl you have made it taller if you did it again?

I played with several different heights and found a 4" rise to be perfect.

4" ??? WOW! That seems like a whole lot. I would lake seat off and play with hieghts. For the 07RLXI, 1" was perfect.

Dwayne

4" ??? WOW! That seems like a whole lot. I would lake seat off and play with hieghts. For the 07RLXI, 1" was perfect.

Dwayne

Seems like a lot, yes, but I have gotten so used to it that I can't imagine going any lower.

I used Baddog's method a couple of years ago but went with 5.5" pipe nipples. I like to be see over the windshield. I just don't feel right if I'm sitting below it.

I used Baddog's method a couple of years ago but went with 5.5" pipe nipples. I like to be see over the windshield. I just don't feel right if I'm sitting below it.

Well you're a Badger fan. How right could you feel at any time?

Now, if you were to be, say, a Spartan fan . . . . .

Edited by Baddog
Patrick, can you post a pic? do you think 1x2 or 2x3 aluminum tube would work?

Wonder what wall thickness?

I don't have any pics, but I used 1/8" wall tube from OSH or Depot. 1X2 or 2X3 would work as well.

Good luck!

Well you're a Badger fan. How right could you feel at any time?

Now, if you were to be, say, a Spartan fan . . . . .

Ha ha...I don't mind the Spartans. Izzo is basically a Wisconsinite.

• 6 months later...

Take your seat to an upolsrty shop have them make an insert that is the same sixe as your current seat cushion have them make as tall as you want when not useing it toss it under the seat that way your not stuck with the seat up all the time

I removed the lower bracket, took it to a metal fab shop and had them bend a new bracket with 3" added to it. The total height of the new bracket is 5". I think I would prefer it to be a little lower, 4" total height might be perfect but it is still comfortable at 5". 5" might work great when the bow is raised or while surfing. Total cost was $75.00 and it looks clean. I would like to get it powder coated black to hide it a little better.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/justincox28/34878421.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/justincox28/d124c11e.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/justincox28/7ddb70ed.jpg

Edited by justincox28
  • 2 weeks later...

I removed the lower bracket, took it to a metal fab shop and had them bend a new bracket with 3" added to it. The total height of the new bracket is 5". I think I would prefer it to be a little lower, 4" total height might be perfect but it is still comfortable at 5". 5" might work great when the bow is raised or while surfing. Total cost was $75.00 and it looks clean. I would like to get it powder coated black to hide it a little better.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/justincox28/34878421.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/justincox28/d124c11e.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz238/justincox28/7ddb70ed.jpg

Plus1.gif one rep point for you! great design... hope you don't mind me borrowing it.

I think some black powder coat would be nice Drool.gif

In CA, we have to have a throwable life preserver, I have a 2" thick square throwable that fits nicely into my seat....

Cheers !!! I did that for 12 years and never had a problem :-)

Cheers !!! I did that for 12 years and never had a problem :-)

i just installed a bolster seat, works perfect, down when boarding, up when surfing............

Good Luck!

Dwayne

I am doing the same project with my boat. I have the seat off and was wondering if you need to remove the square base from the floor in order to remove the bolts... Or can you slide the tracks off the guide somehow??