Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I feel like a jerk but dang...

luvtheBU

Warning I am just venting....

The kids are inviting everyone and they just show up at the river as we're getting ready to launch. Now understand I have a little BU not a big BU, it has the bench in the back and the spotter seat which is reserved for whoever is holding my little man and of course the bow which has a cooler on one side and a seat on the other side. I have 3 good sized teenagers and if hubby comes that equals 6 including me and the baby. 6 is the perfect amount to not be super crowded but I understand that the kids want to bring friends so I have been letting them take turns bringing 1 friend, somehow my stepson always shows up with more than 1 friend and his GF who NEVER WANTS TO GET WET, I usually take care of that by either chilli dipping her when she's in the bow or stopping fast and letting the spray hit her in the back, she is an annoying GF. This boat is for watersports not sitting on your butt the entire time we are out there just taking up space that is already cramped because now we have 8 people on this tiny little boat.

So anyways we have had the boat for 30 days now and she has went everytime but once and the time she didn't go we all had a blast, because we weren't crammed in like sardines. So I drew the line Sunday and I said no more or I am not taking the boat out with the exception once in awhile with more than 7 people on the boat and the baby counts as one so that means 1 friend if the whole family is coming. My hubby thinks I am being mean, not so it just sucks to be packed on the boat especially with kids that don't even want to get wet and his son always gets to bring her so it's not fair to the other kids who want to bring friends too. Not to mention it is taking the fun out of going.

My question is how many people usually go with you when you go out and am I being unreasonable?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luvtheBU

• Baddog

• WakeGirl

• Michigan boarder

1. It's your boat so you make the rules. If your too crowded your too crowded and you need to put your foot down.

2. There is nothing wrong with someone not wanting to get wet and just ride in the boat IF you have enough room.

1. It's your boat so you make the rules. If your too crowded your too crowded and you need to put your foot down.

2. There is nothing wrong with someone not wanting to get wet and just ride in the boat IF you have enough room.

Plus1.gif

well saturday I had 14 people out. BIG MISTAKE! it was a case of being drunk and inviting a ton of people out, then they call me up the next day asking to go. My boat only holds 11 but I did'nt want to be a d*** and tell people they couldnt go. It becomes an even bigger pain when most of the 14 people are drinking and I have to bring a giant cooler that takes up any leg room.

Typically when we go boarding I try to keep it at 4 people or on a day when its just chillin on the lake or on the beach ill try to keep it to 10 and a cooler

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

we have a 23 and dont really like to take more then 6-8. i like having room and ride time.

Surfing, up to 8 or 9. Skiing, 4 or fewer.

I know you just bought that Echelon, but that's a slalom boat. Anything over 6 is going to be really really cramped and you have to tow from the transom all the time. Is there a dock or a sand bar you can kindof use as a home base when you're out so that everyone can come, but not everyone has to be in the boat the whole time?

uh oh, time for a 247 all ready!!

I know...RIGHT... unfortunately he didn't take the bait. I will drive buy the big BU's and point out the hords of teens on them and say...that's what another $50,000 will get ya.

Not to mention it is taking the fun out of going.

Once you find yourself saying that, it's time to put your foot down. You're the captain of your boat.

My question is how many people usually go with you when you go out and am I being unreasonable?

Nope, not unreasonable. You are responsible for the safety of all the occupants in the boat. I would communicate that to them clearly. People get hurt by ropes, tripping, etc. They also get hurt by a driver who is distracted and cannot see thru the bow or has too much chatter or chaos in the stern. Itemize the reasons that you need limited occupants and define some responsibilities, and communicate that to them. It is hard to refute good logic.

I have the same boat, and would not want more than 7. 2 in bow (that may go under water), 1 in spotter seat holding baby, driver, 2 in rear. By the time you get towels, diaper bag, gear in the boat you are way out of space. BUT, if you have 7 responsible people contributing/assisting (plus the baby) it could be a different story. Define some procedures and responsibilities, and let them earn their guests company.

Surfing, up to 8 or 9. Skiing, 4 or fewer.

I know you just bought that Echelon, but that's a slalom boat. Anything over 6 is going to be really really cramped and you have to tow from the transom all the time. Is there a dock or a sand bar you can kindof use as a home base when you're out so that everyone can come, but not everyone has to be in the boat the whole time?

Well I have the wake tower so i don't have to tow from the transom, and yeah usually that's how I get tricked into letting all the little heathens on board is that they promise they'll take turns and they'll hang out on the rope swing, unfortunately the girly girl is attached to my stepsons hip and she never wants to get out and swim. ARGGGhhh. I am sooo glad my son picks fun girls who are athletic and realize there is a place for curled hair and makeup oh and I can't forget the nails. Ok so I might have a small issue with this little chica, but then I am a Mom and even though he is my stepson I'm still overprotective.

Plus1.gif

Plus1.gif

we have a 23 and dont really like to take more then 6-8. i like having room and ride time.

Plus1.gifPlus1.gif Yeah me too, I'm soo glad nobody here thinks I am being mean, I know how to have fun on the water and I've owned boats my entire life. I chose a skiboat because I love them. I didn't get africken pontoon or a deckboat. I like to get in the water and I love moving around when we are sitting still, my tan is atrocious, I have super dark arms and back and tops of my legs and everything else is white, cuz I can't even stretch out on my own dang boat.

No one shows up at the dock and gets a ride on my boat unless I have plenty of room. No, I take that back, no one shows up at the dock and gets a ride. I don't have kids though, so maybe I should shut up, but how could they not know any better? Foot down time!

If there's room sure, come along. In our ol 19' before the Bu, we had plenty of times where we rejected people from coming simply because we didn't have room. Make sure you let your kids know that there is a limit to the number of people, stick to it, and that THEY will get left on the dock, not their friends if that limit is breached. That'll stop them from bringing extra. With the GF not wanting to get wet, chillidip her enough times and she won't come anymore. he he he.

Nope, not unreasonable. You are responsible for the safety of all the occupants in the boat. I would communicate that to them clearly. People get hurt by ropes, tripping, etc. They also get hurt by a driver who is distracted and cannot see thru the bow or has too much chatter or chaos in the stern. Itemize the reasons that you need limited occupants and define some responsibilities, and communicate that to them. It is hard to refute good logic.

I have the same boat, and would not want more than 7. 2 in bow (that may go under water), 1 in spotter seat holding baby, driver, 2 in rear. By the time you get towels, diaper bag, gear in the boat you are way out of space. BUT, if you have 7 responsible people contributing/assisting (plus the baby) it could be a different story. Define some procedures and responsibilities, and let them earn their guests company.

Oh and I am a very conservative boater when it comes to bringing goodies, I have a little diaper bag that stays onboard all of the time and 2 towels and we have a small cooler, it's the only size I can fit on the boat with that many kids. Only 1 person in the bow cause these kids are huge and being 3 to 5 inches above the water line in the front makes me nervous and I can't see thru their thick heads. The friends they bring are excellent with the baby if they weren't I throw them overboard myself. Baby's needs always come first.

Oh and they are refuting the logic as I have stated all of these reasons why we will not carry more than 7 occupants including the baby anymore that's why I had to be a A$$ and put my foot down in front of their friends and with my hubby, which was treading on thin water because he doesn't yet see the problem and he thought I was being a drama queen, he still thinks it's Ok to have 8 people onboard, heck whats one more but, I am the one who gets the boat ready the boat cleaned up when done, the baby ready all of the supplies and I'm not enjoying the experience, I pay for the dang boat and I'm going to have fun. I'm sure when we have had a few trips that are fun without all of the teens they'll understand my madness, whewww it's a good thing I am always right. Ha Ha Ha.

Not to mention it is taking the fun out of going.

Once you find yourself saying that, it's time to put your foot down. You're the captain of your boat.

Yeahhh... I am the Captain, I like the sounds of that. And I definetly put my foot down, Imade it very clear that if more than one friend shows up I will make the kids choose right in front of their friends. As for the rope swing they will have to be there already to get a tow behind this boat I'm not taking that bait anymore.

"I am the one who gets the boat ready the boat cleaned up when done, the baby ready all of the supplies and I'm not enjoying the experience, I pay for the dang boat and I'm going to have fun. I'm sure when we have had a few trips that are fun without all of the teens they'll understand my madness, whewww it's a good thing I am always right. Ha Ha Ha. "

MEEE TOOOO!! (minus baby)

How about having a headcount the day before you go out, that way you dont have to turn kids away.? Rotate which kids get to have a friend(s)?

I dont have this problem too often because my girls (14,16) don't want to go on the boat anymore Dontknow.gif (but thier friends do!).

Too many can be even more scary if your the only adult...doing everything AND paying attention to everyone,thing, in the boat and on the water.

put your foot down! be safe!

(you can always say you dont have enough cga pfd's).

We are breaking the cga pfd's allready, but we are on the river and they aren't as big of sticklers here. Headcounts the day before are awesome but my boys always try to weasle one in hours before we leave, like they are doing right now. I got 2 of them texting me as we speak trying to throw a 2nd friend in the mix for this evenings boating. They are relentless little buggars.

... my stepson ...

... his son ...

Be careful of your choice of language in a blended family. If you are going to make it work, you need to refer to him as "our son." As for taking turns on each child bringing someone, that seems fair and should be applied equally to all.

... my stepson ...

... his son ...

Be careful of your choice of language in a blended family. If you are going to make it work, you need to refer to him as "our son." As for taking turns on each child bringing someone, that seems fair and should be applied equally to all.

Oh that was for description of the people only, but you are right I should've said "our son". Actually they all have nicknames that they have been given affectionately by us, Justin's is Pyro, Joe's is P.I.T.A. Devin's is Destructo and Mike is Big Mike and little Ethan is EJ. Taking turns is the right thing to do but they always try to gang up on me when it comes to having people on the boat, they just did this as I was in the middle of posting this.

"I am the one who gets the boat ready the boat cleaned up when done, the baby ready all of the supplies and I'm not enjoying the experience, I pay for the dang boat and I'm going to have fun. I'm sure when we have had a few trips that are fun without all of the teens they'll understand my madness, whewww it's a good thing I am always right. Ha Ha Ha. "

How about having a headcount the day before you go out, that way you dont have to turn kids away.? Rotate which kids get to have a friend(s)?

I dont have this problem too often because my girls (14,16) don't want to go on the boat anymore Dontknow.gif (but thier friends do!).

Too many can be even more scary if your the only adult...doing everything AND paying attention to everyone,thing, in the boat and on the water.

Agreed, use the foot. Draw the line at a hard number & stick to it. Like anything as a parent, if you cave on it, they will know that they will always be able to push you just a little farther. This is IMO a safety issue & one that you shouldn't screw around with.

One thing that I would suggest....if your kids like this so much, involve them in the preparation when you go out & the care of the boat. Have them help you load it, unload it, prepare food for the day, detail it, wipe it down, etc etc etc. Teach them maintenance - oil & tranny fluid changes, waxing & interior care. Our boys know the drill & that they'll get thumped if they don't help out. The payoff for them is that they get to learn how to drive & in a few years will be pulling our butts all over the lake. They don't get to do that if they don't put the time in, period. They also know how much work & energy goes into a day at the lake, so it's not taken lightly. Generally this encourages them to encourage their friends to help out as well, it's the opposite of a vicious cycle. :)

The head count is a good idea, but frankly we don't invite people (the boys included) that are going to be a PITA & make things uncomfortable. Space is too tight on any boat for that.

Agreed, use the foot. Draw the line at a hard number & stick to it. Like anything as a parent, if you cave on it, they will know that they will always be able to push you just a little farther. This is IMO a safety issue & one that you shouldn't screw around with.

One thing that I would suggest....if your kids like this so much, involve them in the preparation when you go out & the care of the boat. Have them help you load it, unload it, prepare food for the day, detail it, wipe it down, etc etc etc. Teach them maintenance - oil & tranny fluid changes, waxing & interior care. Our boys know the drill & that they'll get thumped if they don't help out. The payoff for them is that they get to learn how to drive & in a few years will be pulling our butts all over the lake. They don't get to do that if they don't put the time in, period. They also know how much work & energy goes into a day at the lake, so it's not taken lightly. Generally this encourages them to encourage their friends to help out as well, it's the opposite of a vicious cycle. :)

The head count is a good idea, but frankly we don't invite people (the boys included) that are going to be a PITA & make things uncomfortable. Space is too tight on any boat for that.

My sons nickname is PITA but he is not a PITA on the boat if he was he wouldn't go either. Yep GF is history unless it's Pyro's turn for a friend. This is how nice I am, the hubbies kid's Mom even comes on the boat and I don't make it weird. I am a NICE TOLERANT PERSON, but 6 big people is my MAX CAPACITY.

I am off to the river now...Luv ya all!!!!! Rockon.gif

Sounds like you and your family are really enjoying the boat...Good For You! That's what it's all about...family and friends out on the water.

But, please, make sure you have enough PFD's for everyone you take...it's not just the law, it is good practice in case something none of us wants to think about happens.

I really enjoy your posts...you and yours seem to be having a great time with a great attitude, and it reminds me of why I have my boat.