Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfin Board details

Ndawg12

Well when I bought my boat I thought that just wakeboarding is all I needed to do. But from hearing everyone talk it sounds like surfing is the funnest thing to do on earth with clothes on!! So I'm gonna cave and buy 750lb sac and pump for the surf side seat and a board.

I want to get the right sized board, I feel that this is the most important factor, I also think I want it to be a surf style not skim board.

So here's the simple question if you care to answer, how much do you weigh and how long is your board???

170lbs - Inland Surfer Blue 5'4" surf style board

- Inland Surfer Yellow Loogey 4'5" skim style

We started out in our Vride the same way, and still primarily wakeboard but surf 20% of the time. Surf style is really fun and obviously a bigger board is more stable and perfect for beginners. But, as you progress adding a skim style board is another fun element. Both are really fun depending on the day etc.

Putting the bags on the seats and manually filling was how we set it up, but this summer we removed the above ground hard tanks in the rear lockers and dropped in the 750lbs sacs. It makes setting up for surfing so simple, and with two people in the boat we have a great surf wake on both sides. If you have the hard tanks in your vride the cost to add that kit probably isn't much more than buying the pump and 750lb bag

Well when I bought my boat I thought that just wakeboarding is all I needed to do. But from hearing everyone talk it sounds like surfing is the funnest thing to do on earth with clothes on!! So I'm gonna cave and buy 750lb sac and pump for the surf side seat and a board.

I want to get the right sized board, I feel that this is the most important factor, I also think I want it to be a surf style not skim board.

So here's the simple question if you care to answer, how much do you weigh and how long is your board???

We have found that the volume of the board is probably the most important measure. (True for surfing and wakesurfing). In general the more you weigh the more volume you need. It also depends on skill level... The better the surfer - the less volume you need. Also depends on the style of surfing. If you want skim style the volume will be much less. Surf style more.

We surf with 4 boards. We have people from 110 lbs to 250 lbs. All volume estimates are approx.

Phase 5 skim board - 4'6" Volume = 12 L

Hyperlight Broadcast 5'6" Volume = 16 L

Shredstixx JaMako 4"11" Volume = 24 L

7S Super Fish 6'8" Volume = 43 L

As a rule of thumb - divide your weight by 10 - and that's an approximate "target" volume (in L) of your board. Adjust with skill level and style.

Attached is a Surfboard Volume Calculator - we use this for selecting surfboards for people buying board for surfing (ocean waves). It can help calculate the volume of a board (enter length, width and thickness).

BVC.xls

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well thanks for everyone's help, I think I'm going to go with a 58" board. Does anyone know why these things are so expensive? I think it would be fun to grab some styrofoam, a fiberglass kit, some paint, some polyeurethane, some sticky padding, and a case of beer!! I hear people talk about changing the foot grip, what is everyone using?? Whistling.gif