Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Control erratic

So if I have my speed control on and turn on my heater the speed gets all erratic and the engine runs up and drops off very fast. It basically starts to run like crap. I am not sure if it is a High Amp draw that does it because it seems like ti gets worse when other stuff is pulling power, but it might be something to do with the water the the heater is drawing. Not sure how all that works do any of you have any ideas?

BTW it is an 08 VTX with a 320.

So if I have my speed control on and turn on my heater the speed gets all erratic and the engine runs up and drops off very fast. It basically starts to run like crap. I am not sure if it is a High Amp draw that does it because it seems like ti gets worse when other stuff is pulling power, but it might be something to do with the water the the heater is drawing. Not sure how all that works do any of you have any ideas?

08=Warranty Whistling.gif

But it sounds like a power problem to me. Crossed wires.

Ya, warranty I know, but was wondering if any one else had ever had an issue like that?

09 VTX Plus1.gif

Mine does it at any speed with nothing turned on except the engine. I was told the speed control works better if you put the indicator in the upper portion of the range. I have not noticed any difference.

I assume you are referring to Precision Pro (Std Malibu Speed Control), and not Perfect Pass. Is this correct?

Peter

Yes standard Malibu Speed Control.

My 2010 VRide with standard Malibu speed control does the same thing - revs up and down very erratically.

I'm calling Malibu on Monday to get a solution.

Yes standard Malibu Speed Control.

You may have a bad power module, if things like turning on the heater screws up the speed control. Talk to your dealer about getting the power module replaced due to this scenario under your standard warranty.

If turning on large draw items like a heater or heated seat do not affect the speed control, it could be that the combination of engine power, ballast amount, and speed you are looking for requires a lower pitch prop to hold it. The speed control only responds so fast, as does the engine, if the load & drag is greater than it.

Peter

You may have a bad power module, if things like turning on the heater screws up the speed control. Talk to your dealer about getting the power module replaced due to this scenario under your standard warranty.

If turning on large draw items like a heater or heated seat do not affect the speed control, it could be that the combination of engine power, ballast amount, and speed you are looking for requires a lower pitch prop to hold it. The speed control only responds so fast, as does the engine, if the load & drag is greater than it.

Peter

It holds speed well without the heater on but soon as i turn it on everything goes to crap. I will look into the power module.

Thanks,

The heater may throw a lot of electrical noise onto the boat's power system, especially if you have a bad or loose ground.

/Steve

I noticed over the weekend that my precision pro speed control does not hold well at surf speeds. I haven't noticed any issue at wake board speed. It doesn't ask for more throttle but it does not want to set.