Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fender recs

HRemington

Oh boy, it's been so long I feel like a virgin again and I know I'm gonna have to listen to a bunch of crap from Tuscarora. I hate to start off with a lame question, but, you know, you gotta wade in before you start swimming.

Just got back from a skiing vacation and my boat setup now requires keeping it on the water all week behind a floating boathouse. I've not needed fenders before, but do now. I didn't feel like I was representing the Crew® well with my redneck fenders consisting of two cruddy ski vests draped over the gunwales tied with pieces of ski rope.

What kind fits our boats well? I am leaning toward a couple of either the Taylor Made® low freeboard type in Overtons or the Dockmate® flat hinged-style. I would like something not too bulky to store in the boat. Also, where and how do you attach to work best? Do you prefer some of the pricey adjustable cinch dealie contraption thingies, or just tie with rope?

Okay Jack and Jerry, let me have it, but be gentle. :)

Not sure what would fit your boat best Hank, but I have to publicly say WELCOME BACK BUDDY!! Clap.gif I may have pmed you the other night, but I did refrain from giving Jack, Jerry & Michael the head's up that you were back in town. So at least I spared you that. :lol:

If your week long situation allows for it, I have had best results tying a couple of basic bumpers to the dock instead of figuring out how to hang them properly from the boat.

Got these from Overtons and love them (mostly for temporary docking situations). Get black (white ones get mildew rather quickly).

hinged dockmates

If I knew I was to be using same dock for extended period, I just use the traditional round fenders, and attach them to dock if possible. I think I even got mine at Walmart for short money. I use a shorter one in back (less freeboard).

Got these from Overtons and love them (mostly for temporary docking situations). Get black (white ones get mildew rather quickly).

hinged dockmates

If I knew I was to be using same dock for extended period, I just use the traditional round fenders, and attach them to dock if possible. I think I even got mine at Walmart for short money. I use a shorter one in back (less freeboard).

I just 'upgraded' to this type of fender this year and I can say they work really well. I like them much better than the traditional round inflatable ones.

And as far as attaching them to the boat, I just use my front and rear pop up cleats, with a short loop of dockline that I 'pre-fit' in the driveway so they would hand correctly.

I got mine when I saw them at a Boaters World going-out-of-business sale for about $5 each.

Edited by rts

I've got a pair of the hinged style ones, It depends on where you have them on your boat as to how well the protect. On my boat tied to the bow rail lets them hang better then on a cleat, and the don't protect as well as a round style because they let the dock or other boat a lot closer do to the fact that there only a couple inches thick.

So I mainly use the round style.

If your week long situation allows for it, I have had best results tying a couple of basic bumpers to the dock instead of figuring out how to hang them properly from the boat.

This is what we do, as well. I do have two of the round type that I leave on the boat for trips to the fuel dock.

Plus1.gif I agree this is the best idea and very common.

Plus1.gif I agree this is the best idea and very common.

I'll vote for that one too. Also do you have a tower on your boat? We had a little incident on the first day at DHL when a fully loaded Air Nautique came a little too close to the houseboat. $400 gelcoat repair and all is well again. The stupid thing is I really thought I had everything protected, guess I didn't anticipate a 5 foot wave.

After the incident I ended up using 4 round fenders tied to the house boat. I also placed one of those long Dockmate rafting fenders on the side railing of the house boat to keep my tower from hitting it.....again!

If your docking against the back of the houseboat, along it's "swim platform", maybe some of the transom style fenders would work well in combination with some other stuff.