Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 HO Monza fin adjustments

thealy

I recently moved from a 1999 CDX to a 2009 A1 to a 2007 Monza. I am trying to get the fin adjustments on the Monza dialed in. I am having a tendency to overturn on my onside and underturn on my offside. The bindings are in the neutral middle position. Anyone have any suggestions of what changes I should make first? I ski at 34mph.

I recently moved from a 1999 CDX to a 2009 A1 to a 2007 Monza. I am trying to get the fin adjustments on the Monza dialed in. I am having a tendency to overturn on my onside and underturn on my offside. The bindings are in the neutral middle position. Anyone have any suggestions of what changes I should make first? I ski at 34mph.

Two friends on that ski put a Schnitz Speed Slot Fin on and said it turned dramatically better. One for sale on ski-it-again http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain...postid=SIA07903

One of the guys on the old Nicholl's site mentioned modifying the stock fin by moving the wing rearward -- using the stock rear screw position to be the new front one and then drilling a hole rearward to mount the new rear screws. It absolutley changes the characteristics by keeping the nose of the ski down on the offside (I'm LFF) - this modification is supposedly the same physics that the Slot Fin will give you. I'm sold on that one.

Most people agree that the ski works the best with the fin as far back as it will go, I'm still experimenting with that one.

GT has/had a Monza and probably has the most experience with fin tweaking, hopefully he'll chime in. It would help to throw out ski size, binding type, body weight, and if you ski the course what rope length.

I can speak to the slot fin a bit.

I was struggling with my off-side on that ski while my on-side felt great. Gave the slot fin a try and it was like magic. On and off-sides now turn very similar and it's more predictable. DFT adjustments are a non-issue. You just put it all the way back. So you only have depth and tip to worry about.

Definitely worth the extra coin.

Two friends on that ski put a Schnitz Speed Slot Fin on and said it turned dramatically better. One for sale on ski-it-again http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain...postid=SIA07903

Do you know if it is as easy as removing my existing fin an replacing it with the one on ski-it-again? Or would I need a new fin box or something? Thanks for you help!

If the Speed Slot doesn't work out for you, call HO at 800-938-4040. They were able to e-mail me specs for a ski while we were on the phone.

The best investment you can make for the Monza is Schnitz's Speed Slot Fin. This fin takes a historically well known inconsistent ski and makes it consistent. Spend the $100 on the fin, it's worth every penny.

Did you ever sell the A1? I finally had a chance to try the S1 and decided the A1 was the one for me. New A1 should be here tomorrow!

The best investment you can make for the Monza is Schnitz's Speed Slot Fin. This fin takes a historically well known inconsistent ski and makes it consistent. Spend the $100 on the fin, it's worth every penny.

Did you ever sell the A1? I finally had a chance to try the S1 and decided the A1 was the one for me. New A1 should be here tomorrow!

I did sell my A1 via ski-it-again. Maybe I should have given it more time but the Monza felt like it would turn better for me (well at least on my on-side). I am certainly struggling with inconsistency this year, hopefully a new fin will help somewhat. After this I will just except the fact it is me and not the ski :) .

Guest GalaxyToad

The Monza is a great ski and I liked it both ways (stock fin and speed/slot)

2005-2007 Monza with the stock fin at 34mph I'd set:

6.840" long (jaws)

2.515" deep (head of the caliper)

0.725" DFT (head of the caliper)

wing starting at 7 degrees upside down

HO boots both 1 hole back from center

Ranges to stay within:

6.825" - 6.845"

2.510" - 2.525"

0.710" - 0.730"

wing 7-9 degrees upside down

If you find yourself trying to color outside those lines, reset to the above recommended numbers and get someone to videotape some passes.

The strength of the speed/slot tends to be evening out the onside/offside manners of the ski. If you elect to use it, note that it is physically thinner than an HO fin and may not sit still. I etched the inside contact surfaces of my fin box and the fin to make it sit still and hold its numbers. Initial set-up for that is:

6.542" long (tips, inside the slot to the front edge)

2.5605" deep (head of the caliper)

Remove the rear adjustment screw of the Monza's fin box and install the fin all the way back against the box.

The wing is extremely low drag and fixed at 9 degrees. Works great.

pm me if you need to go farther than that.

Ski Hard!

The offside turn is the bane of the Monza. Definitely go with a slot fin it makes a huge difference. I skied my old Monza with a slot fin and with a fin set up by GalaxyToad and it was better with the slot fin.