Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buy off the lot or custom order?

jpk

I'm wondering if you can get a better deal walking into a dealer and buying a boat off of their lot, or if you can get the same price or better by ordering a boat at the boat show or from the dealer.

I'd rather get a custom Malibu with the paint of my choice, but if I can negotiate a way better price on a boat on the lot, I might go that way.

I've heard from people that you can actually get a better price on an order if it is done at the boat shows. Is this true?

You will definately be able to save on the lot vs ordering (for the options that you get) , but remember that boats on the lot may have expensive options that you don't need and you may end up custom ordering a boat with your own colors and options and end up being less expensive than you think!

You might be able to get on 05 in the next month or two for a lot less than ordering a new 06.

I would think resale value between an 2005 (old technology as 04 pointed out) and the 2006 would be more than enough to make the purchase of a new 2006 model the way to go.

Who cares about saving $1000, order your boat and get exactly what you want. Settling for a boat on the lot is settling and if you are like me and intend to own your new Malibu for a long time, spend the little extra and order your boat. There is nothing worst than, "I wish I would have...". I know that $1000 is a lot of money but over the next X number of years is it worth it to not get the exact color or options that you are looking for. Plus, it is fun to design something and watch it come to reality.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Joe

I gotta concur with denjoe.

And its how you define a good deal. To me a good deal is getting exactly what I want, (esp. when you are break'n out that kinda money)......and not saving a $1,000 or 1-2% of total cost. Tomorrow, the extra $1000 or so you spend on a custom order will not matter.

wakbord11 - I have been testing an 06' RLXi with the DBW and the new PP, previously I was very nervous about this change after driving the MC's, not anymore. Malibu was smarter about it, they put a spring on the throttle to make it feel like a cable and it drives just like my boat with the old PP. You don't have to go all the way back to neutral to disingage. I cannot tell much difference between my 05' that has 110 hrs. and the 06' that has 1 hr. Now the new PP is a differant story, that I am not in love with, yet. It is very complex and the screen is hard to see. I am sure I will love it once I get used to it.

The new cruise and all the new gauges are a big improvement IMO. You have more info then you will ever need and it is easier to get to.

Dwayne

wakbord11 - I have been testing an 06' RLXi with the DBW and the new PP,  previously I was very nervous about this change after driving the MC's, not anymore.  Malibu was smarter about it,  they put a spring on the throttle to make it feel like a cable and it drives just like my boat with the old PP.  You don't have to go all the way back to neutral to disingage.  I cannot tell much difference between my 05' that has 110 hrs. and the 06' that has 1 hr.  Now the new PP is a differant story, that I am not in love with, yet.  It is very complex and the screen is hard to see.  I am sure I will love it once I get used to it.

The new cruise and all the new gauges are a big improvement IMO.  You have more info then you will ever need and it is easier to get to. 

Dwayne

How does it work? That is, how is the pull that it gives the skier/boarder? Do they have a speed & rpm mode? I'm probably most anxious about this of anything new on the boat.

wakbord11 - I have been testing an 06' RLXi with the DBW and the new PP,  previously I was very nervous about this change after driving the MC's, not anymore.  Malibu was smarter about it,  they put a spring on the throttle to make it feel like a cable and it drives just like my boat with the old PP.  You don't have to go all the way back to neutral to disingage.  I cannot tell much difference between my 05' that has 110 hrs. and the 06' that has 1 hr.  Now the new PP is a differant story, that I am not in love with, yet.  It is very complex and the screen is hard to see.  I am sure I will love it once I get used to it.

The new cruise and all the new gauges are a big improvement IMO.  You have more info then you will ever need and it is easier to get to. 

Dwayne

yeah,,maybe malibu has some of the "bugs" worked out. the 05 mastercraft just seems stiff as hell when u throttle. it also has the differant perfect pass set-up on it,,,i didnt care for that either,,,seems like it takes longer to engage and half the time i wasnt even sure if it WAS engaged or not,,didnt seem real reliable. BUT,,i only drive the boat once in awhile,,i am sure if i was in it more i would figure out all the "tricks"

Wakegirl - I haven't been able to ski behind it yet because I cannot figure out how to get it to calibrate in the course and the base lines are not even close. All slalom information is now on one screen i.e. skier speed and weight, KX, PX, crew weight, etc. All you use the menu button for is to highlight the data that you want to change. People that wear reading glasses had better keep a pair in the boat with them the font size is pretty small. There is also CS and CR adjustment now which is skier speed or skier rpm adjustments for when the throttle takes over. All PP are now both Digital Pro and Wakeboard Pro.

The MC's can be scary to drive on small lakes because you have to pull the lever all the way to neutral before it disingauges PP, at 34 and 36 mph this can get a little hairy. Malibu's system feels like the old PP, when you pull back on the throttle the boat starts to slow down accordingly. After driving the boat I am not nearly as worried as I was about Malibu making the same blunders that MC did. Now I just have to learn this new PP.

Another funny thing is on the center info screen where the MalibuCruise is when you hit "CRUISE" it says "REPLACED BY PERFECT PASS" I guess they could not have both, which is to bad.

Dwayne

We are headed to the lake right now to try the calibration again after I studied the entire manuel.

I think the throttle by wire is a great idea, obviously still working things out though.

Sounds like the same with the PP and other new items.

If you want a DEAL then you should buy off the lot. If you want something you can keep for many years to come, then buy exactly what you want. Negotiate with your dealer - I would personally wait until Nov/Dec before you make an '06 order.

Wait until it's raining/snowing outside - make sure you're dealing with a manager or top sales guy that has the ability to work on the price - walk in on the last day of the month - have cash in hand - and be ready to walk if you draw a line in the sand and they cross it.

Also - make sure you have a list of EXACTLY what you want on the boat. Once you negotiate the deal it's very hard to go back and open things up. Remember, EVERYTHING's negotiable. If the price on the boat it hard and fast, then talk about options. If that's hard and fast then talk about what's available in the pro shop. Don't leave any door unturned.

The worst thing they can say is no.

Thanks, chathamsolutions. I think I'm going to go ahead and order my own boat based on the fact that I plan to keep the boat for a while and if the savings are only $750 to $1K, I'd rather have the options and color I really want.

I agree. I ordered my boat and got just as good a discount as floor-stock models. These boats are expensive, unless they have exactly what you want on the floor, it's worth a couple month's wait in the grand scheme of things.

The dealer had the exact boat I was looking for in stock when I was ready to buy so it made things easy. The next one will be ordered for sure because I know I'll want some custom options. Another testament to ordered boats - the factory sends you pics along the way so you can witness the birth. Thats worth the $ alone.

Does anyone know the option price to have a custom color on the hull bottom and deck? The base price only includes white, sandstone, or platinum and I want the hull bottom and deck color to match the middle color of the boat. If I'm going to get a custom order, I'd prefer to have the color scheme I want too, but only if the price for that isn't outrageous. Any insight into the cost for this option would be appreciated before I ask the dealer. Thanks!

Edited by jpk

Also an FYI - in 2003/4 it was a warranty issue to have the hull a different color then those you mention above. And since you've been told it's an upcharge, I'm guessing this will still hold true.

------------------

Date:

Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:10:20 -0700

"Amy Mauzy"

To:

[email protected]

Here are the other color combinations you asked for, Andy. Sorry it

took

me a little longer. We have been swamped.

-------------- Warranty Info --------

Gelcoat Coverage

Malibu Boats West, Inc. warrants the gelcoat on your 2003 Malibu for a

period of 24 months with no hour limitation.

This warranty covers any repairs needed to correct defects in materials

or workmanship in the gelcoat finish of each new Malibu boat supplied

by

Malibu except for the exclusions or items listed under the caption

"What

is not Covered" or as indicated below.

This warranty is provided to the original and subsequent owner(s) of a

Malibu boat originally distributed by Malibu Boats West, Inc. and which

is originally sold by a Malibu Boats West, Inc. authorized Malibu

dealership.

*Exception

The above gelcoat warranty applies only to boats with standard white or

platinum colored hulls. Boats with optional solid gelcoat color

schemes

are void of this warranty.

-------------------------------------

Also remember that a hull or deck base color other than White, Platinum

or Moonbeam requires an up charge.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Thanks,

Amy

----------------

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify and correct some comments about the DBW and cruise functionality on the '05 MasterCrafts, you DO NOT have to put the boat in neutral to disengage the speed control, just pull back on the throttle just like PerfectPass. Second the resistance or "stiffness" of the throttle can be adjusted by tightening or loosening a screw. Sorry to perpetuate the former threadjack, just wanted make some corrections.