Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Quick DIY on teak, yes another one

Alright, I made the mistake of reading some DIY on here and not properly assessing the condition of my swim platform prior to refinishing it. In my defense it didn't look to bad but it had been stained or varnished. I cleaned and scrubbed and top coated and realized I should have gone straight to a** kicking.

I busted out my power sander, I have read this is a no no, on a 15 year old platform, rest assured you will not hurt anything, and went through about 5 large sheets of 80 grit to humble the stain. Don't be afraid to grind on it, there is a lot of wood there. I have heard that the heat from the sander creates probs, I doubt it, sitting in the sun all day will put a lot more heat in it than a good sanding. It balled like mad and consumed most of the paper but once I got through the stain it was like butter. Good idea to have a fine wire or stiff bristle brush to sweep away the dust as you sand.

I followed with a couple of passes of 220 then swept the dust and wiped it down 2x with a damp cloth to remove any fine dust and let it sit for an hour and top coated with some Howard products Feed-n-wax. http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

Looks great, will post a pic in the daylight. I like the finish of the feednwax but I am not sure how long this product will hold up, but it was cheap and easy and again, looks the part.

Doug

Edited by Douge

I did the same thing. The previous owner coated the teak platform with polyurethane! Cry.gif

That first year I sanded like a mad man. Mad.gif I only used teak oil which I do after every lake trip and sometimes in between trips if the boat sits for a couple of weeks. Now, every spring I only do a light sanding and start over with teak oil. There’s no doubt my teak looks good. Yahoo.gif

I did the same thing. The previous owner coated the teak platform with polyurethane! Cry.gif

That first year I sanded like a mad man. Mad.gif I only used teak oil which I do after every lake trip and sometimes in between trips if the boat sits for a couple of weeks. Now, every spring I only do a light sanding and start over with teak oil. There’s no doubt my teak looks good. Yahoo.gif

How long does teak on the platform have to dry before putting it in the water. And on the flip side I assume the platform has to be dry before you can apply the teak.

How long does teak on the platform have to dry before putting it in the water. And on the flip side I assume the platform has to be dry before you can apply the teak.

There's a lot of humidity in MS, but in the sun the teak oil dries in less than an hour. If the teak is wet (water) don't apply the oil till it's dry.

[

When I freshen mine up occasionally with a new coat, I let it dry overnight, under a covered boat lift. Good to go the next day.

martinarcher

I cleaned mine with a two part cleaner called TE-KA teak cleaner and then hit it hard with the power sander after we bought the boat. You are exactly right - sanding doesn't hurt these platforms at all. It really helped to get the imperfections out of the surface of the wood (chips from skis and board fins) I used Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil Sealant to finish it off and it is still looking really good 6 months later. It certainly was a rough gray looking platform when I started.

Teak3-800.jpg

I like the TE-KA cleaner as well. I usually use it every two or three years, or when it starts looking dingy, then just Teak oil. I coat mine with oil and let it sit in the sun while I cut the grass. By the time I am done it is dry enough to move back into the garage.

I used a belt sander on mine also when I got our boat. The platform was in looking really bad. I sanded it, cleaned it, oiled it, and it was good as new. I later installed a wedge access door but did it a bit different than the article in the DIY section.

I later installed a wedge access door but did it a bit different than the article in the DIY section.

Can you post any pics? That is one of my list of winter items.

Yeah, I belt sanded mine and hand sanded inbetween the slats, etc. Took a lot to get it there, but it cleaned up like new. I put a fresh coat of oil on it every 3 weeks or so. Keeps it in great shape. I used Starbrite products too.

I later installed a wedge access door but did it a bit different than the article in the DIY section.

Can you post any pics? That is one of my list of winter items.

Yeah, I belt sanded mine and hand sanded inbetween the slats, etc. Took a lot to get it there, but it cleaned up like new. I put a fresh coat of oil on it every 3 weeks or so. Keeps it in great shape. I used Starbrite products too.

In the left pic you can see that I put a SS latch in the door. I also added some anti splash guards to the last slot in the platform. I put those in because when I slowed down, the people in the rear seat would getting soaked from the splash off of the wedge. I have several more pics at home and can send them to you so you can decide what install style you wish to do. I can say that I have had at least three guys on the platform with no issue. I think we have had four people at one time too! Of course, one was thrown off soon after.... Biggrin.gif

post-144-1248277906_thumb.jpg

post-144-1248277923_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sunsetter95

if you are just using teak oil you shouldnt need to sand it. I take some bleachwater to it with a stiff bristle brush, let it dry and then put a fresh coat of teak oil on it. I do it twice a season. takes no time!