Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stain on stainless steel

In my wisdom of removing the hard water scales off the hull....I left the acid covered rag sitting on the power wedge bracket. Now I have an ugly stain on the steel. Which product will remove this? Or is this another one of those sh#**y lessons learned. Thanks crew.

Dave

For our stainless steel sink at our cottage, which gets covered with water spots from our well water, I've yet to find a cleaner that will do anything to the stains. I end up scrubbing with the blue scrubby side of a 3M dish sponge. I'm probably buffing it more than cleaning it though. I don't know the finish on a PW bracket looks like so you might run the risk of fine scratches.

Probably gonna be a s***ty lesson learned. But you could try a steel wool SOS pad and then buff with some finer steel wool but you'll probably still end up with fine scratches. What's the lesser of 2 evils, that's your call.

The acid etches the metal, not coming off.

You can clean hard water deposits off of stainless with acid, just don't let it sit for more than a minute or two. You can use something as strong as a bowl acid if you have build up, just apply scrub and rinse thoroughly, repeat if necessary, repeat rather than letting the acid sit longer.

In my wisdom of removing the hard water scales off the hull....I left the acid covered rag sitting on the power wedge bracket. Now I have an ugly stain on the steel. Which product will remove this? Or is this another one of those sh#**y lessons learned. Thanks crew.

Dave

If it is just a stain, I would think you will be able to polish it out. This may involve using some 1000+ grit wet sand paper, then a good buffing with polishing compound. Try to contact a metal plating and ploising shop around you home, they may also be able to offer suggestions. Good luck.

martinarcher

Dave

If it is just a stain, I would think you will be able to polish it out. This may involve using some 1000+ grit wet sand paper, then a good buffing with polishing compound. Try to contact a metal plating and ploising shop around you home, they may also be able to offer suggestions. Good luck.

Plus1.gif If you remove just a bit of metal you should be good to go and the stain will come off with it. I would try a buffing wheel with some polishing compound or 1000/1500 grit paper. Never-Dull would put a real nice shine to that wedge and bracket. Thumbup.gif