Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Bogs and dies - Need a little help

Need a little help!!

Single owner of 2001 Sunsetter LXI w/ 190 hours all lake..No problems to report until just this year..

Issue -

Dropped boat...wouldn't start replaced battery...started but ran rougher than normal..old gas about 1/8 of tank...replaced with full tank of high test 93 octane..seem to runn much better for 30 minutes...brought down to neutral...died in middle of lake...could not restart...turned over fine sounded but would not start..sounded like a fuel or spark issue...even kill switch...replaced kill swith and laniard...no change...confirmed spark at plugs and disti cap...confirmed fuel through lines to carb....NO fuel seemed to get inside carb???? completely dry...used carb cleaner spray and she started right up....hit the throttle to pull skier and bam....died again....seems not to be getting fuel....

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?

Carb issue

Water in Fuel issue?

Thanks for the help.

Need a little help!!

Single owner of 2001 Sunsetter LXI w/ 190 hours all lake..No problems to report until just this year..

Issue -

Dropped boat...wouldn't start replaced battery...started but ran rougher than normal..old gas about 1/8 of tank...replaced with full tank of high test 93 octane..seem to runn much better for 30 minutes...brought down to neutral...died in middle of lake...could not restart...turned over fine sounded but would not start..sounded like a fuel or spark issue...even kill switch...replaced kill swith and laniard...no change...confirmed spark at plugs and disti cap...confirmed fuel through lines to carb....NO fuel seemed to get inside carb???? completely dry...used carb cleaner spray and she started right up....hit the throttle to pull skier and bam....died again....seems not to be getting fuel....

Carb issue

Water in Fuel issue?

Thanks for the help.

Consider the basics. If you have fuel pressure after the pump look at the filters. Depending on which Carb you have there may be a mesh screen on the inlet side of the carb. Inspect, clean and replace.

Sounds like a bad diaphram in the fuel pump. Often times they will fail without warning.

Bad news is that you will have to replace the entire fuel pump. I just had to replace mine in my 93 Echelon. If the pumps sit for a while during the year (especially in harsh tempuratures) the diaphrams in the pump deteriorate and eventually with clam up...and no fuel flow.

Check your fuel pressure to confirm. If you can start the engine by spraying carb cleaner into the intake then you are getting spark.

I vote fuel pump.

You stated that you got fuel through lines to carb, but no fuel in carb. I assume you are talking about the lines after the pump, if so, it sounds like pump is fine. Your carb might need an overhaul or replaced.

Need a little help!!

Issue -

Carb issue

Water in Fuel issue?

Thanks for the help.

where the gas line goes into the carb there should ge a filter or screen, clean it.

You stated that you got fuel through lines to carb, but no fuel in carb. I assume you are talking about the lines after the pump, if so, it sounds like pump is fine. Your carb might need an overhaul or replaced.

Had one do something that sounded like what was described. I had a stuck needel valve in the carb. Overhaul kits are cheep and will take about an afternoon to get done. The quick way is to get an overhauled unit and install it. Couple of hours at most. Good Luck

REW

01 should be FI (no carb). I'd check the fuel filter first. Cheapest and easiest to replace and you know you had old gas so it could have gummed up the filter. If that doesn't work then check pressure and fuel pump