Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Purchase new v-ride or leftover '07 LSV?

familytoy

I've been lurking on the site for a couple weeks learning about Malibu's. Thanks for all the great information.

I currently have a '86 Mastercraft Prostar in great condition and runs nearly flawlessly. We do the majority of our boating on Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland. As many may know, it's a great slalom boat but with the closed bow has limited space. My family and I wakeboard and with an extended pylon it's not a bad boat for learning but we have basically outgrown the boat. Especially now that my 8 year old daughter started jumping the wake this summer. I slolam ski and would like the next boat to have a fairly flat wake at 32+.

I recently stopped at a local Malibu dealer looking for used wakeboard boats and came across a leftover '07 Wakesetter 23 LSV. The boat is pretty much loaded, even has the Hammerhead 383 engine. We like the size of the boat, but even as a 2 year old (soon to be 3) left over the price is still a little high for us. I've also been looking at the v-ride to save some money though I have not seen one in person yet. I was talking with the salesman last week and he mentioned that the 2010 v-rides have a redesigned paint scheme and will not come with the "ride" lettering on the sides and back (I really did not like it). That being said, he is pricing out a 2010 23 v-ride with some added options (heater, power wedge, etc). I should have those numbers laster this week.

One of the problems with my current boat is it does not lilke rough water. Deep Creek lake can get windy which will generate some white caps. Nothing like the the ocean or bay but big enough to make the ride very slow and bouncy. The lake can also get busy on the weekends which makes the main channel really rough and causes me to really have to slow down, at times to just above idle. This is really bad when we are trying to get to happy hour! Rockon.gif

Will either the 23 LSV ir v-ride handle the chop any better? I really want to spend more time on the lake if we buy a new(er) boat.

Will either put our a decent slolam wake? I'm not a pro but do enjoy getting on the ski every now and then?

How does the v-ride compare with the Wakesetter LSV? I would really like to hear from someone that has had both.

Thanks in advance for your help.

As I recall the Vride won't have the bow ballast tank option, which may very well play a big role in how the boat handles the chop. But I haven't riden in it either.

I think considering the slalom ski wishes, that I'd check out the VTX. Quite a few skiers out there who like that boats' wake & rough water capabilities.

Won't the 2007 Wakesetter and the 2010 V-Ride have the same hull? I don't know about slalom sking, but I would jump all over a left over 07 23 LSV at a good price!

I think you're looking for at least a 23 footer. The VTX is only 20'.

I think you should consider the VTX with diamond hull if you want a boat that can both ski well and wakeboard well. The VTX will have a much higher freeboard than your Prostar and therefore feel safer in rougher water. The bow ballast will help you take the chop better as well.

Edited by Cory
I think you're looking for at least a 23 footer. The VTX is only 20'.

True. But if you don't have the need for the 23' interior, the VTX hull is about the best rated slalom wake on a v-drive.

And if your not able to get the bow ballast in the 23' Vride, there might be concerns in the rough water.

To the OP: How big is the typical crew that you take out? Is there a reason that you're hung up on the 23' size?

To answer these questions:

Q: Will either the 23 LSV ir v-ride handle the chop any better? I really want to spend more time on the lake if we buy a new(er) boat.

A: The '07 23LSV & '09'/'10 23' Vride are the same boat. Not the same finish, but the same hull & deck. They will perform identically.

Q: Will either put our a decent slolam wake? I'm not a pro but do enjoy getting on the ski every now and then?

A: Compared with your MC? No, it will be terrible on either boat. Compared with an I/O? It will be pretty good. It all depends on where you're coming from. Demo the '07 & see for yourself, the '09/'10 Vride won't be measurably better or worse.

Q: How does the v-ride compare with the Wakesetter LSV? I would really like to hear from someone that has had both.

A: Again, same boat. The '07 will be much, much nicer in terms of finish & appointments. As mentioned, the bow ballast is an issue since it won't be available on the Ride. Also, I'm not sure that the rear tanks on the Rides will be under the floor the way that they are in the '07. Something to ask about.

not sure if it makes a difference but the 07 23 LSV has the diamond Hull. I'm not sure how much of a difference that really makes for skiing.

I don't know about slalom sking, but I would jump all over a left over 07 23 LSV at a good price!

fijidaniel - if you want to talk numbers contact me via email. I'm not sure how posting prices/quotes goes over on this board.

It's too bad they don't still make the 23 XTi. That sounds like it'd be the perfect boat for you guys. If you're not dead set on a 23' boat, I'd suggest looking at the 21' boats. The Sunscape 21 LSV will put out a decent slalom wake for recreational skiing and can board really well also. The 20 LSV is a phenomenal slalom V drive, but that's getting pretty short it sounds like. Both the 20 and 21 LSV can be had in Wakesetter trim with ballast, tower, wedge, etc.

Any 23 foot boat will feel like a cabin cruiser in the chop and rough water compared to your prostar regardless of bow ballast. If your wakeboarding 95% of the time I wouldn't even factor in the slalom wake. You could always find someone with a ski boat to give you a slalom run on occasion assuming you dont like your new slalom wake. Otherwise the 5% you spend wishing you had a slalom wake but don't will be overshadowed by how much you love your new boat. Once you see the wakeboard wake you'll be daydreaming about wakeboarding only.

And as your kids get older you'll be glad that you purchased the 07 LSV. It will cost you less now to go to the LSV than if you buy a smaller boat now and trade in a few years.

I would probably get the 07 or a nice used boat. Heck even a VLX is going to feel big compared to what you have now.

Is the boat at Chessie?

i have an 08 LSV, but 21 foot not 23.

We just spent a long weekend at dale hollow, and in the rougher part of the lake we were comfortable at 30 mph with some fairly high chop. I think at that speed the hull comes out of the water enough that it cuts through pretty smoothly. And the boats are heavy enough that they feel solid.

We also spent some time on the course (my son is in the Purdue ski club and skis with them behind a new Nautique).

At 28 MPH, we could get him a decent wake with 4 in the boat - driver and observer in seats and 2 others up front.

We probably had 650 pounds of people. Fuel made a big difference - it was much better with 1/4 - 1/2 tank.

He said it was clearly not the Nautique, but still pretty good. As the driver, it was not too hard to stay in the course.

I would probably get the 07 or a nice used boat. Heck even a VLX is going to feel big compared to what you have now.

Is the boat at Chessie?

No, it was not Chessie. I called Chessie this morning and all their leftovers have been sold except for a '08 Sunscape.

I'm still looking......

Is the boat at Chessie?

No, it was not Chessie. I called Chessie this morning and all their leftovers have been sold except for a '08 Sunscape.

I'm still looking......

didn't know if deep creek was still in business, but glad they are

I just got back a another dealer that had a '08 Sunscape with Power wedge but no ballast. The price seemed OK but I'm a little concerned regarding the ballast issue. With just the wedge the boat will generate a bigger wake than I currently have with my Mastercraft but how long will it be until I'm regratting not have the ballast. Also, he stated he could added the ballast bags but I thought factory ballast was all under the flloor and did not take up storage space. Is that correct or does the factory ballast utilize the storage space?

I just got back a another dealer that had a '08 Sunscape with Power wedge but no ballast. The price seemed OK but I'm a little concerned regarding the ballast issue. With just the wedge the boat will generate a bigger wake than I currently have with my Mastercraft but how long will it be until I'm regratting not have the ballast. Also, he stated he could added the ballast bags but I thought factory ballast was all under the flloor and did not take up storage space. Is that correct or does the factory ballast utilize the storage space?

Ballast tanks are under the floor in the Wakesetters, not in the Sunscapes.