Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strong Enough Battery

I went to NAPA 2 weeks ago and asked for a starting battery for my 06 VLX with the Monsoon 340. The owner of this NAPA recommended their NAPA 540 Cranking amp Marine battery. I asked if he had anything stronger and he replied, "This battery will start any boat on the water." Being there are many large engine boats on the lakes near there, and that he sells a lot of stuff to those boaters, I followed his recommendation.

Sure enough when I installed the battery, it had a tough time turning over. I had to put the perko on all, using my deep cycle stereo battery also, rather than just the starting battery.

When I brought the Battery back to NAPA I told the owner that I was having a tough time starting with the battery. He tested it and said it was working fine. I asked him if He had any stronger batteries that I could exchange it for and he started yelling at me. I couldn't believe that I was being yelled at (he didn't have anything stronger). I tried to remain calm and simply ask for a return since my purchase was on his recommendation. Again he continued to yell at me that I could not get my money back.

My dad was with me in the store both times I was there (buying and attempt to return). I asked him if I missed something and He was just as astounded at the situation as I was. We asked for a district supervisor and he only gave us a warehouse supervisor. Does anyone know how NAPA's structure works? We collected the battery and didn't buy the 2-cycle oil we were about to purchase and left.

I've found another company to no longer patronize (it seems to be a lot recently). Does anyone have any incite on this situation? Has anyone else noticed the customer care drop dramatically in the recent year or 2? I've been dreading every time I have to deal with purchases more than groceries.

I assume I need to look for a battery with about 1000 cranking amps, correct?

martinarcher

That is crap. I would have had to do some yelling back at that tough guy. So did you end up returning it or just left with the battery? It was his mistake for selling you a small battery. I would demand they take it back. batteries aren't cheap!

I use a group 34 marine deep cycle battery on mine. I got it at at the local store in town and I think it's rated at 950 Cold Cranking Amps. 540 sounds way too low.

Edited by martinarcher
That is crap. I would have had to do some yelling back at that tough guy. So did you end up returning it or just left with the battery? It was his mistake for selling you a small battery. I would demand they take it back. batteries aren't cheap!

I use a group 34 marine deep cycle battery on mine. I got it at at the local store in town and I think it's rated at 950 Cold Cranking Amps. 540 sounds way too low.

I agree,

and as far as the yelling goes, Im and eye for and eye type of person. How big a boy was he, maybe you should have taking the conversation out side? Thumbup.gif

Biggrin.gif

I agree I would probably be looking for a 650cca or better but you have a newer boat with EFI and that thing should fire straight away. A 540 should not have trouble spinning it up, its just not a good long term battery for that application. Fairly common to get a bad battery now and again. I would try autozone or interstate if either of those options are available. People are stupid and don't appreciate the benefit or value of having a customer. Napa stores are indenpendtly owned so if in fact he was the owner, not a lot of recourse with him personally but I would think corporate would help you out in getting you another battery.

Always pay with a credit card... then dispute the charge if something like this happens.

09 Owners Manual says:

Minimum Battery requirments

650 cca / 700 mca / 120Ah

Edited by cyoda44

The 540 CA is not COLD cranking amps. the CCA is 465. I'm not a happy camper. I will dispute the charge since it's on my credit card. I'm thinking about standing around on a busy saturday and handing out fliers to potential customers. I figure it would only take about 2 hours to most than cost him that much in business.

Edit: on the street of course

Edited by Jimmypooh
The 540 CA is not COLD cranking amps. the CCA is 465. I'm not a happy camper. I will dispute the charge since it's on my credit card. I'm thinking about standing around on a busy saturday and handing out fliers to potential customers. I figure it would only take about 2 hours to most than cost him that much in business.

Edit: on the street of course

If you kept the battery then there is no need to dispute the charge, why risk it for a $60 batt? Sell the battery or use it on your lawnmower or something.

You could always send the battery back via midnight airmail through his store window Guns.gif Of course you wouldn't get your money back, only a twisted satisfaction until the police showed up at your house. Whistling.gif

Always pay with a credit card... then dispute the charge if something like this happens.

09 Owners Manual says:

Take the owners manual with this info and tell him screwed up. Now you have proof.

If he doesn't let you exchange it, sell the battery on craigslist and go down to costco and get an Optima. Just make sure you charge the battery vefore you install it.

BTW, if the town is small enough, you could post a warning in the automotive section of craigslist Whistling.gif if you were so inclined......

09 Owners Manual says:

Take the owners manual with this info and tell him screwed up. Now you have proof.

If he doesn't let you exchange it, sell the battery on craigslist and go down to costco and get an Optima. Just make sure you charge the battery vefore you install it.

BTW, if the town is small enough, you could post a warning in the automotive section of craigslist Whistling.gif if you were so inclined......

That might be the best option. It doesn't take much time. Dontknow.gif

martinarcher

09 Owners Manual says:

I would take the manual in and get your money back by returning the battery. If he doesn't give you your money back than I would take different measures. With the manual saying you need a minimum of 650 CCA you have some serious ammo since his "magic do it all" battery is under 500.