Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone invested in a Boatpix shot of your boat?

malibu_flyer

Boatpix pictures worth the price?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. 250$ for one picture, is this fair

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the picture, quality
  2. 2. Have You been buzzed

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you purchased a Boatpix shot?

• Yes
    • No
    • No, returned proofs, none worth keeping

Hey all,

I spent an awesome week last week at Lake Billy Chanook with some close friends and my family and had a great time, the weather was perfect. We had a few blowouts in the afternoon a couple of days, but on Sunday we got buzzed buy a Boatpix.com Heli while my son was boarding and that was pretty cool. I'm sure a few here have been buzzed before , but has anyone actually purchaced a picture? 250$ for one shot seems stiff, but on the other hand, having a shot of you in the boat with your family from a helicopter is pretty freekin cool I think.

We rented a surfboard and had a blast on that, and that 250$ would help with a board that we will definatly be adding to our toys for the boat. Should I just send for the proofs and chek them out?

I had the boat pix's copter fly over me and the family about a month ago on the Columbia River in Wenatchee.... I did a search on boat pix's website to see if you could view them before purchasing and about fell out of my chair when I saw the price... It would be cool though but not for that price.

Edited by RockinRod
$250 for a picture is crazy...but then again people drop a grand on senior pictures and way more on weddings...

JSP,

What did you drop on your wedding photos?

Hey all,

I spent an awesome week last week at Lake Billy Chanook with some close friends and my family and had a great time, the weather was perfect. We had a few blowouts in the afternoon a couple of days, but on Sunday we got buzzed buy a Boatpix.com Heli while my son was boarding and that was pretty cool. I'm sure a few here have been buzzed before , but has anyone actually purchaced a picture? 250$ for one shot seems stiff, but on the other hand, having a shot of you in the boat with your family from a helicopter is pretty freekin cool I think.

We rented a surfboard and had a blast on that, and that 250$ would help with a board that we will definatly be adding to our toys for the boat. Should I just send for the proofs and chek them out?

I would. A proof doesn't cost anything & what the heck, maybe it's an incredible shot.

the heli is the real cost here. not the pic? i am reminded of a saying in aviation, what makes an airplane or helicopter fly? $$$$$$$$$ hence the expensive photos. i would pay if the photo was good.

$250 for a picture is crazy...but then again people drop a grand on senior pictures and way more on weddings...

JSP,

Not sure, but I know it was a lot! Crazy.gif

When I said proofs- that's not quite accurate. You have to give your CC info before you get the pics. They send the pics to you and you keep what you want, charge you for the one's not returned. I did a search on a few other forums and the responce was mixed to the pics were definatly worth it. The whole cc info prior to even seeing the shots is what worries me. I wish there were at least thumnail shots to preview.

They buzz the big-boat marinas in my area a lot. I've had my cruiser photographed. They wanted $400 for those. So looks like they might have a sliding scale! :-)

I know quite a few folks who have purchased the shots - and they are indeed very nice. I can't see the expense personally - but many can. There's absolutely no other option for having your boat photographed from a helicopter - so it's an exclusive opportunity and as such - expensive.

On most of the big boats, the owners burn $400 in fuel to travel 30 miles up the lake for a burger - so the expense is all relative. Folks in $50k Malibu's...or the Cigarette/Formula/Donzi Go-Fast-Be-Loud style boats that run $100k plus in just a few strokes of the pen...seems like the photographer probably converts a reasonable number of shots to sales.

When I said proofs- that's not quite accurate. You have to give your CC info before you get the pics. They send the pics to you and you keep what you want, charge you for the one's not returned. I did a search on a few other forums and the responce was mixed to the pics were definatly worth it. The whole cc info prior to even seeing the shots is what worries me. I wish there were at least thumnail shots to preview.

That changes things. There are too many ways to offer a free low-res proof, even if it's watermarked. No excuse for that if you ask me.

JSP,

the cost of wedding photo's weighed against the number of times those pics are looked at once you are married, is outrageous. Not saying the photographer isn't worth the money but as a consumer it is not a great investment.

JSP,

the cost of wedding photo's weighed against the number of times those pics are looked at once you are married, is outrageous. Not saying the photographer isn't worth the money but as a consumer it is not a great investment.

Overpriced? Absolutely! But we have lots of different wedding photos up around our house and my wife used a bunch when she scrap booked our first year of marriage so they do get looked at/used with us.

The ones that IMO are more of a joke are senior pictures! My mom went crazy with all of us kids photos. She probably dropped a grand or more on each of us kids and I couldn't even tell you where those photos are at. I wasted a whole day driving around with some weirdo photographer who made me do all the typical poses. Stand in a wheat field, up against an old barn, lean on a brick wall, etc...I would much rather have had her just give me the money and let me waste it on crap....but I'm not bitter Whistling.gif

He was max 30 ft off water, in a hover, pacing with the boat. First one side, then the other. My son Jumping back and forth all the time. His first words getting back in the boat were " that was pretty cool!", with a big smile on his face.

He was max 30 ft off water, in a hover, pacing with the boat. First one side, then the other. My son Jumping back and forth all the time. His first words getting back in the boat were " that was pretty cool!", with a big smile on his face.

Hmm, if there are any pilots that can weigh in, but I think flying 30' off the water is a no no with the FAA, especially tracking a boat (that you don't know and is just out boating around). I think there are some minimum heights you are supposed to be flying at. Not sure though.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

They are low enough to be disturbing if you did not know what's up. My best guess would be 200 feet. They buzzed some other boats before they got to me, so I had some time to figure it out. Still, it was unsettling to have a chopper hover over my boat while a dude was hanging out the door pointing something at me and my crew. If I had a bottle rocket on board, I might have been tempted. On the other hand, high speed maneuvers to avoid being photographed could have been fun too. BTW.............. Bicep posers were a 2 to 1 favorite over bird floaters.

Because of the cost of operating a helicopter I can understand the cost. But even with that said there's no way I'm paying that kind of money for a picture. I can take a lot of pic with my own camera. If I want an aerial shot I'll have my son climb a tree at the lakeshore and I'll buzz under him.

JSP,

Overpriced? Absolutely! But we have lots of different wedding photos up around our house and my wife used a bunch when she scrap booked our first year of marriage so they do get looked at/used with us.

The ones that IMO are more of a joke are senior pictures! My mom went crazy with all of us kids photos. She probably dropped a grand or more on each of us kids and I couldn't even tell you where those photos are at. I wasted a whole day driving around with some weirdo photographer who made me do all the typical poses. Stand in a wheat field, up against an old barn, lean on a brick wall, etc...I would much rather have had her just give me the money and let me waste it on crap....but I'm not bitter Whistling.gif

Is she still scrap booking your on-going marriage or has she already decided it is easier just to scrap you?