Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

adding ballast

kutchi C

I have a sunscape 23 lsv and wanted to know how much it could cost to add the rear ballast. I also wanted to know if it takes away any storage space.

The cost is really dependent on the level of automation that you're looking for. If you want to flip a switch to both fill and drain the bag, it's gonna cost you a$200 - $250 per side for the Bakes add on design without the sacs, which are $150 each for the 750s. If you're ok with manual, it's $80 - $100 for a pump plus the sacs.

When empty the sacs are flat so you still have the storage availalbe. When they are full, they take up the entire space next to the engine.

I wanted to know how much it would cost to add the factory ballast.

Ah. Sorry, I assumed you already had that. I have no idea what that might cost, but I'm betting it's going to be cost prohibitive due to the amount of labor required to get the tanks under the floor. If you're really handy, it might be a DIY project, but it's not something I would be interested in tackling. You should contact your dealer to get a cost for that one.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately it's not possible to add the factory ballast system to a boat that was built without it. The tanks go in during the construction of the boat, and Sunscapes have a different floor that does not have the cavity for the rear tanks.

Your only option at this point is to install a bag based system, which will be in the neighborhood of $600-800 not including labor, and will take up storage space in the rear lockers when the bags are full.

Not hi-jacking: I forgot all about that, the 750's take up the whole rear locker, I'm planning to do that and add a W711 bow sac which takes up the whole bow. What the hell are we going to do with all the stuff that we store in those compartments (Bumpers, dock rope, anchor, life jackets, kids beach toys, rafts, etc!!!)

Not hi-jacking: I forgot all about that, the 750's take up the whole rear locker, I'm planning to do that and add a W711 bow sac which takes up the whole bow. What the hell are we going to do with all the stuff that we store in those compartments (Bumpers, dock rope, anchor, life jackets, kids beach toys, rafts, etc!!!)

Some stuff has to be left behind

I only take enough life jackets for who is coming out. I don't have bouys and dock lines, because I don't want to hang around at the docks. Storage is for pontoon boats.

I only take enough life jackets for who is coming out. I don't have bouys and dock lines, because I don't want to hang around at the docks. Storage is for pontoon boats.

Ouch, dropped the P-word on me, I have 3 or 4 nice bar/restaurants and a sandbar where we tie up, bumpers and dock line have to stay!! I'll still do the bow sac, but now I'm thinking about moving a 750 around externally.

I'm officially Hijacking now, sorry Kutchi, but maybe you'll find some of this useful.

Edited by nemire12

Ouch, dropped the P-word on me, I have 3 or 4 nice bar/restaurants and a sandbar where we tie up, bumpers and dock line have to stay!! I'll still do the bow sac, but now I'm thinking about moving a 750 around externally.

I'm officially Hijacking now, sorry Kutchi, but maybe you'll find some of this useful.

Port side storage is pretty big. I wish I had a rest. to go to.