Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another "Bad Day" Story

Ndawg12

I know you said it was a bad day but nobody was hurt, there was no damage, and a big learning lesson so I'd say it was a good day! I love learning lessons when they are free!

That remains to be seen until I take her out again....this weekend!!! I'm over it now, starting to get the itch again, it's only Tuesday!!!

That itch will never go away...... Thumbup.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• WakeGirl

• MalibuNation

• aaudii5150

If you have that much water in the boat, immediately get the noise straight up in the air and kick all pumps on to drain...

15" of water in the boat & you wouldn't be concerned about hydro-locking the engine? I don't know about your boat, but if I had 15" of water in mine, my amps would be in the water, the engine would be 1/2 under, the sub would be 1/2 under, the water would be over every seat bottom, etc. I think I'd cut the engine IMMEDIATELY in hopes that the intake would not suck any water into the engine.

Definitely work on drying that baby out. ServPro has fans for rent that will draw all the moisture out. Or just get every fan you can find, buy 5 or 6 of those Dry-z-air dehumidifiers, shop vac all the water from everywhere, including under the seats & engine cover.

The time I swamped mine was at Lake Billy Chinook. I just opened everything up when I was back at the houseboats and it didn't take long to have it all dried out in the dry heat. I did pull all of the stuff I keep squirreled away in the boat to allow it to dry also. I'm always pretty amazed at how much stuff I have in there.

MalibuNation

Nemire, you sure have had a time with your boat.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my left front leg of my lift was low in the water ... thought it was strange ... being the shallow end it's sandier. Raised it and all was fine. A week ago it was sunk again ... my neighbor works at a gravel pit and got some stones just bigger than pea gravel and was going to put it under that foot.

Got home last night and my boat lift was really leaning towards the left as now my rear left leg sunk. Actually it was leaning on the dock and the wheel to raise/lower the lift was wedged against a pole and dock. It looked like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. What would have happened if it didn't rest against the dock???????????

Got a neighbor and luckily I beefed up my dock this year and it's now sturdier and I pushed again the canopy of the lift and was able to get enough room to turn the wheel and lower the boat. Once the boat hit the water it wasn't leaning as much. Even with the tower down it barely cleared the canopy.

I've got a mystery to solve this weekend ... did a pin come out? At the deep end I have pallets to stop the lift from sinking in the muck so bad - did a foot slip off this? Pretty freaking and scarey situation.

I keep a spare pirrahna ballast pump and a long hose on my boat for just such occasions. Keep the boat flat and pump out ASAP. I wired alligator clips on the pump and I can have it hooked up and stuck in the center opening so fast you would think it happens to me all the time :unsure: In an emergency you can help yourself out of a world of damage with a pump on hand. I also have practiced shutting the valve on a ballast pump and unscrewing it and leave it in the bottom of the boat to pump out even more. At first it fills your tanks then pumps out. At minimum it transfers away from your engine in less than 5 minutes. Not fast enough? Then undo another one and throw it in. Everyone should have this solution in mind if you get a hole, a wave, a hose that was left off from winterization, a plug left off...we have heard them all haven't we? And if not for your own stupidity, to save a friend or fellow boater. Imagine if someone pulled up with a ballast pump and said "hey plug this up to your battery and pump out that water. You would have been so thankful I am sure you would have slipped him a 20.

Edited by Macutak
MalibuNation
I keep a spare pirrahna ballast pump and a long hose on my boat for just such occasions. Keep the boat flat and pup out ASAP. I wired alligator clips on the pump and I can have it hooked up and in stuck in the center opening so fast you would think it happens to me all the time :unsure: In an emergency you can help yourself out of a world of damage with a pump on hand. I also have practiced shutting the valve on a ballast pump and unscrewing it and leave it in the bottom of the boat to pump out even more. At first it fills you tanks then pumps out. At minimum it transfers away from your engine in less than 5 minutes. Not fast enough, undo another one and throw it in. Everyone should have this solution in mind if you get a hole, a wave, a hose that was left off from winterization, a plug left off...we have heard them all haven't we? And if not for your own stupidity, to save a friend or fellow boater. Imagine if someone pulled up with a ballast pump and said "hey plug this up to your battery and pump out that water. You would have been so thankful I am sure you would have slipped him a 20.

Been meaning to do this too ... since 2003 Whistling.gif

Edited by MalibuNation
I keep a spare pirrahna ballast pump and a long hose on my boat for just such occasions. Keep the boat flat and pump out ASAP. I wired alligator clips on the pump and I can have it hooked up and stuck in the center opening so fast you would think it happens to me all the time :unsure: In an emergency you can help yourself out of a world of damage with a pump on hand. I also have practiced shutting the valve on a ballast pump and unscrewing it and leave it in the bottom of the boat to pump out even more. At first it fills your tanks then pumps out. At minimum it transfers away from your engine in less than 5 minutes. Not fast enough? Then undo another one and throw it in. Everyone should have this solution in mind if you get a hole, a wave, a hose that was left off from winterization, a plug left off...we have heard them all haven't we? And if not for your own stupidity, to save a friend or fellow boater. Imagine if someone pulled up with a ballast pump and said "hey plug this up to your battery and pump out that water. You would have been so thankful I am sure you would have slipped him a 20.

Great idea! I'll have one ready to go this weekend.....

I put a second bilge pump in right next to the factory one. One time I saw the carpet wet on my old SLXI when I stepped into her in the morning. That was a HDS leak, but I'll sleep better when I leave her in the water now that I have duel pumps off of different batteries.

Edited by Faceplant409
I put a second bilge pump in right next to the factory one. One time I saw the carpet wet on my old SLXI when I stepped into her in the morning. That was a HDS leak, but I'll sleep better when I leave her in the water now that I have duel pumps off of different batteries.

I wondered about doing that as well. I also considered just getting a more powerful pump. (Maybe one that stays upright all the time instead of leaning over on its side. Mad.gif

Edited by Macutak
Sorry to hear of the bad day, but just remember that it could have been a lot worse.

As far as the pump goes, it's pretty normal to have that happen. Aerator pumps will allow water to get past them, it's just something that you have to live with since it's the nature of the beast. I usually just shut the valve on the fill pumps for both the center & front tanks once they were full or empty to keep them that way. But yeah, auto-filling/draining is very normal.

I have never noticed that with the rear tanks..??

Glad everyone was ok....I have a problem with my '05 Wakesetter wanting to fill the rear starboard tank when I'm above ~10knots. I was told that from '06 and up the factory made use of an anti-siphon valve. I will probably end up installing a couple to see if it works. Here they are-

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=994

bob