Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

slipping and whining

outside the wake

I had our youth group out last evening and had 4 in the boat and 4 on two tubes. I began to notice a slip when I was going hard on turns and also noticed a metally sounding whine at slow speeds coming from the transmission. The combination of the two had me going back to the dock. I have since talked to a friend that told me the prop slipping was cavitation. I checked the transmission fluid and it appears OK. The shaft was dripping water way to fast (stream) so I need to adjust it. That wouldnt have anything to do with either of these issues would it? I am a little skittish as this is my first inboard and as a long time boat owner I am pretty sensitive to strange noises. The boat had 100 hrs on it when I bought it. It is a 2004. I had to take it back because of a vibration and the prop was tuned which stopped it. I am hoping the previous owner did not drive it that way very long and screw anything else up. I bought it this spring and have put 50 hours on it and love it. Do any of you have any experience with either of these problems?

How long has it been since you changed the tranny fluid?

I talked with the service manager and he agreed the slipping is probably some cavitation, he said the packing being loose can sometimes create a whistle, I am going to tighted that and see if it quits, if not I thought I would change the tranny fluid. the boat has 150 hours on it 50 of those with me. The dealer was supposed to have serviced it but I doubt they changed it. thanks for your reply