Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

prop slipping and transmission whining

outside the wake

I had our youth group out last evening and had 4 in the boat and 4 on two tubes. I began to notice a slip when I was going hard on turns and also noticed a metally sounding whine at slow speeds coming from the transmission. The combination of the two had me going back to the dock. I have since talked to a friend that told me the prop slipping was cavitation. I checked the transmission fluid and it appears OK. The shaft was dripping water way to fast (stream) so I need to adjust it. That wouldnt have anything to do with either of these issues would it? I am a little skittish as this is my first inboard and as a long time boat owner I am pretty sensitive to strange noises. The boat had 100 hrs on it when I bought it. It is a 2004. I had to take it back because of a vibration and the prop was tuned which stopped it. I am hoping the previous owner did not drive it that way very long and screw anything else up. I bought it this spring and have put 50 hours on it and love it. Do any of you have any experience with either of these problems?

I had our youth group out last evening and had 4 in the boat and 4 on two tubes. I began to notice a slip when I was going hard on turns and also noticed a metally sounding whine at slow speeds coming from the transmission. The combination of the two had me going back to the dock. I have since talked to a friend that told me the prop slipping was cavitation. I checked the transmission fluid and it appears OK. The shaft was dripping water way to fast (stream) so I need to adjust it. That wouldnt have anything to do with either of these issues would it? I am a little skittish as this is my first inboard and as a long time boat owner I am pretty sensitive to strange noises. The boat had 100 hrs on it when I bought it. It is a 2004. I had to take it back because of a vibration and the prop was tuned which stopped it. I am hoping the previous owner did not drive it that way very long and screw anything else up. I bought it this spring and have put 50 hours on it and love it. Do any of you have any experience with either of these problems?

Water dripping from around the packing gland has nothing to do with transmission slippage or prop capitation. But yes, you do need to tighten the packing nut. About 1 drop every 10 - 15 seconds is good. Trans slippage can be caused by low fluid level,... check that first. The V-drive should be checked immediately after shutting the engine off. Loosen the dipstick first and then start the engine and let run for a few minutes. Shut engine down and check quickly before all the fluid drains back into the bottom of the tranny.

Water dripping from around the packing gland has nothing to do with transmission slippage or prop capitation. But yes, you do need to tighten the packing nut. About 1 drop every 10 - 15 seconds is good. Trans slippage can be caused by low fluid level,... check that first. The V-drive should be checked immediately after shutting the engine off. Loosen the dipstick first and then start the engine and let run for a few minutes. Shut engine down and check quickly before all the fluid drains back into the bottom of the tranny.

I have an XTi which is direct drive. I will check the fluid again and go ahead and change it. The service tech said the packing could cause a whistleing noise which may be what I heard. thanks

I have an XTi which is direct drive. I will check the fluid again and go ahead and change it. The service tech said the packing could cause a whistleing noise which may be what I heard. thanks

added some transmission fluid adjusted the packing nut and everything is better. Thanks for you input- Keep it between the buoys

For clarification I meant to say Velvet Drive instead of V-drive above. Sorry if this cause any confusion

The props on our boats are buried well beneath the hull. I think cavitation is extremely rare if not non-existant.

Not true. You can experience mild cavitation pretty easily in a hard turn or if running heavily loaded. Blow-out is another story.

When you check the tranny fluid do you pull it immediately when the engine turns off and look at it or do you quickly wipe the dipstick and stick it back in before it all drains down and then check it again. It just seemed strange to me to check it after the engine has been running because I figured of course there's going to be oil all up and down the dipstick if you've got things moving in there. I could be way off here....just thinking about the way you check motor oil...

I had my tranny slipping quite a bit today and a guy I was with told me to change the tranny fluid, but none of my mauals would tell me how much to put in if I got all the old stuff out. I have a 96 Response with a little over 100 hours on it and I'm almost positive the guy I bought it from never changed the oil.

When you check the tranny fluid do you pull it immediately when the engine turns off and look at it or do you quickly wipe the dipstick and stick it back in before it all drains down and then check it again. It just seemed strange to me to check it after the engine has been running because I figured of course there's going to be oil all up and down the dipstick if you've got things moving in there. I could be way off here....just thinking about the way you check motor oil...

I had my tranny slipping quite a bit today and a guy I was with told me to change the tranny fluid, but none of my mauals would tell me how much to put in if I got all the old stuff out. I have a 96 Response with a little over 100 hours on it and I'm almost positive the guy I bought it from never changed the oil.

By all means change the fluid now. Ideally it should be done at least every other year or sooner depending on the hours you put on it in a season. Do a search on the how to, it's been covered a couple of times and not too hard to do. I use a drill driven pump to suck most of it out and into a clean milk jug. Then I fill another really clean milk jug with the same amount of fresh tranny fluid and am back in business in ~30 minutes.

By all means change the fluid now. Ideally it should be done at least every other year or sooner depending on the hours you put on it in a season. Do a search on the how to, it's been covered a couple of times and not too hard to do. I use a drill driven pump to suck most of it out and into a clean milk jug. Then I fill another really clean milk jug with the same amount of fresh tranny fluid and am back in business in ~30 minutes.

Thanks for the response...I ended up using the advice of someone on here that recommended draining the fluid you had and keeping track of how much you pulled out and put the same amount back in and re-check. I have a sweet pneumatic vacuum bleeder called the "Vacula" that I always use to bleed the brakes on my motorcycles and that worked great to drain the fluid. I only pulled out a little over a quart and it turns out the tranny should take around 2 quarts. I did end up adding some more and the next day the boat/tranny ran great with no slipping at all.