Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in the bow

twiggy

Over the weekend I hit a roller and had water come over the bow. Ended up with water under the seat cushions. Is there not a drain or plug to get that water out of there. Also I have noticed that I am getting water in my ski locker. I have the plug in do you think the plug is just leaking.

Over the weekend I hit a roller and had water come over the bow. Ended up with water under the seat cushions. Is there not a drain or plug to get that water out of there. Also I have noticed that I am getting water in my ski locker. I have the plug in do you think the plug is just leaking.

The water in the ski locker is normal as long as it is not too much. Considering you took water over the bow you should expect some water down there. The drive shaft allows some water in as a way to cool the shaft so you can expect some from that. Also, people getting in and out of the boat will bring some water in as well. Use a towel to dry up as much water under the seats as possible then leave the seats open to dry out for a while.

I took a monster wake over the bow this weekend from a daily rental boat in what was supposed to be a no wake zone in a narrow channel. The first thing I did was open the ski locker to try to get the water to go down there. Unfortunately, that seems to be the low point in the boat, and the bilge will not pump it all out. A shop vac, or a large sponge usually will get it out.

Water in the ski locker can also come from the cover leaking if you are forced to leave the boat out in the elements. Mine leaks like a sieve.

To get the wter out of the locker I open the plug and drive for a bit in a bow high attitude to move the water into the main bilge area, then close the plug and drain via the bilge pump. Easy.

Something Malibu could do is put a one way check valve in between the bow locker and the main bilge that lets water flow back but not forward. Lets face it, if you hit a wave its coming in the bow, and the lowest part of the boat sitting idle is the bow locker, and there is nothing there to pump it. So you have to do what baddog did, which is a PITA trying to squeeze into the locker and screw in the plug, while underway, with the door slapping you in the back. And the bilge pump is perfectly located for this(at least on the RLXI). Its right on the other side of the bow locker. It makes perfect sense though, you hit a wave, it all goes in the bow, you drive the boat for a few minutes moving the water into the main bilge and then stop and then just turn the pump on and idle for a while.

Im thinking about doing this, but im not sure how to go about it and also not sure if its worth it, considering most of our boating is done on private lakes.

I put me a tiny bilge pump up there in the ski locker. My ballst pumps and bag up there tend to leak some as well as all the other sources of water, waves over the bow, coolers, etc. I piped the pump discharge into the bilge. What the little pump pumps out the main bilge pump has to pump it out of the boat. Not the greatest set up but it works for Beau.

We use those 150 Lb water filled ballast 'bricks' sometimes. It sure is easier to drain them into the ski locker than lift them up over the gunwale.