Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extreme vs Boatmate Trailer

hookblade

I have a boatmate trailer and with the boat on and tower down it will not fit under a 8'high door without removing the hoop bar. Total bummer! My question to you guys is, Are they lower? How much lower are they compared to the boatmate? What elese is better other than the pimp wheels? Im sure the price for the extreme trailer is extremely high too. Does any one have a pic of a malibu on a extreme trailer? I am curious to see how it sits on it.

I have a boatmate trailer and with the boat on and tower down it will not fit under a 8'high door without removing the hoop bar. Total bummer! My question to you guys is, Are they lower? How much lower are they compared to the boatmate? What elese is better other than the pimp wheels? Im sure the price for the extreme trailer is extremely high too. Does any one have a pic of a malibu on a extreme trailer? I am curious to see how it sits on it.

I don't fit under an 8' door either. There isn't a trailer made that will let the xs tower fit under an 8' opening. I've never tried dragging the tongue on the ground to get it in though.

I dropped the trailer to fit by resetting the torsions on the axles. Simple and fast, Just remember to allow for room for bumps in the road otherwise you will have your tires hitting your wheel wells & burn your paint unless you went with Stainless Steel.

Does any one have a pic of a malibu on a extreme trailer? I am curious to see how it sits on it.

Here is a pic of my 09 VLX on a Extreme trailer. I have to take off the hoop to get it through a 7' door and the rest of the boat clears by 3" - 4".

IMG_0687.jpg

One thing that we really like on our new trailer is the "Shark Fin Steps" that come out the back of the trailer, it makes it so easy to get in the boat.

Terry

Probably not with the XS, it's much different in how it sits when lowered compared with yours J. I'd be really surprised between the increased freeboard on the new VLX & the way that the tower sits so much higher than the Illusion X if you'd even be able to get it under an 8' door. That rear hoop sits really high.

Did you happen to measure it and see exactly how much room you need?

Boatmate can likely offer some alternatives to obtain the goal.

Peter

Peter

Peter how are you? I ended up buying the boat from candlewoodeast like you suggested and I couldnt be happier with those people down there. However when I got It home I am missing about 6" to clear a 8' high door that is with the hoop on. I am going to build me a 32'x44' garage with 10' high doors to fix this problem. That way when I get home from the lake I will back it in with a couple inches to spare.

Just get the Extreme low pro option and you'll clear and 8' high door no problem. Of course this means new fenders and tires but in the end totally worth it.

Dude, that is a sick looking picture you have there. Anyway I am going to build a garage insted for extra room. Thanks for the reply.

Probably not with the XS, it's much different in how it sits when lowered compared with yours J. I'd be really surprised between the increased freeboard on the new VLX & the way that the tower sits so much higher than the Illusion X if you'd even be able to get it under an 8' door. That rear hoop sits really high.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about boats WakeGirl. COOL!!!

Peter

Peter how are you? I ended up buying the boat from candlewoodeast like you suggested and I couldnt be happier with those people down there. However when I got It home I am missing about 6" to clear a 8' high door that is with the hoop on. I am going to build me a 32'x44' garage with 10' high doors to fix this problem. That way when I get home from the lake I will back it in with a couple inches to spare.

I'm good, but who is this?

Peter

Can't say for sure. The problem with the new VLX is that it's literally so wide that it can't sit "down" in between the fenders the way that the 1st & 2nd generation VLX models could. That & the hull itself is a bit taller, so the trailer can only do so much.

With that said & for reference, our '06 VLX with Illusion X on a standard Extreme trailer would fit under an 8' door with just a few inches to spare. Malibudude's '07 with Illusion X on an Extreme low profile trailer gets in under his 7' door, so tightly that the tow spool rubs the weather stripping as it goes in. So the difference between those 2 trailers is about 8-9 inches, although to be fair his total diameter on his wheels/tires is less (he's running low profile Toyo Proxes on his, while I was running the uber-tall stock setup). So if you set it up correctly, making gains on both the trailer as well as the tires/wheels, you may be able to get there with an 8' door. But with an XS, I think that it will be very close.

One other thing, if the current trailer has the torsion suspension as Ballast suggested, it shouldn't be a problem to lower it. Do that with lower profile tires/wheels & I think that you may get there. Cheaper than changing trailers I would think. Just a thought.

Peter

I'm good, but who is this?

Brian Binette, I was interested in a new vlx a few months back and you had reffered me to candlewood east seeing I live in CT. Remember?

Peter

Can't say for sure. The problem with the new VLX is that it's literally so wide that it can't sit "down" in between the fenders the way that the 1st & 2nd generation VLX models could. That & the hull itself is a bit taller, so the trailer can only do so much.

With that said & for reference, our '06 VLX with Illusion X on a standard Extreme trailer would fit under an 8' door with just a few inches to spare. Malibudude's '07 with Illusion X on an Extreme low profile trailer gets in under his 7' door, so tightly that the tow spool rubs the weather stripping as it goes in. So the difference between those 2 trailers is about 8-9 inches, although to be fair his total diameter on his wheels/tires is less (he's running low profile Toyo Proxes on his, while I was running the uber-tall stock setup). So if you set it up correctly, making gains on both the trailer as well as the tires/wheels, you may be able to get there with an 8' door. But with an XS, I think that it will be very close.

One other thing, if the current trailer has the torsion suspension as Ballast suggested, it shouldn't be a problem to lower it. Do that with lower profile tires/wheels & I think that you may get there. Cheaper than changing trailers I would think. Just a thought.

Well, I guess that answers my questions. Thanks.

Yep mine is so close that I'd be hard pressed getting a piece of paper in between the tow eye and the garage header.

I forgot that the '09 they widened the beam 2" and therefore isn't able to sit inside the fenders as mine can. Nevertheless you can gain some room w/ the low pro option just not sure it'll be enough.

Another option is to get an adjustable hitch, that way you can lower the bow down when you’re at home and in conjunction w/ the low pro trailer concept be able to fit it in. Keep in mind I’ve got an Extreme no a Boatmate.

Yep mine is so close that I'd be hard pressed getting a piece of paper in between the tow eye and the garage header.

I forgot that the '09 they widened the beam 2" and therefore isn't able to sit inside the fenders as mine can. Nevertheless you can gain some room w/ the low pro option just not sure it'll be enough.

Another option is to get an adjustable hitch, that way you can lower the bow down when you’re at home and in conjunction w/ the low pro trailer concept be able to fit it in. Keep in mind I’ve got an Extreme no a Boatmate.

I just noticed that the boat is sitting on top of the fenders. Huh? Next time I will do my homework before buying the trailer. But as far as the boat goes, there was no homework needed it sold itself.

Well, the limitations with the size of the boat in conjunction with width limitations on the trailer give you only so much room for the boat, regardless of the brand. 102" is as wide as the trailer can be, so you're sort of stuck when the boat itself has a 100" beam.

I just noticed that the boat is sitting on top of the fenders. Huh? Next time I will do my homework before buying the trailer. But as far as the boat goes, there was no homework needed it sold itself.

Mine is also sitting on top of the fenders with the Extreme trailer, as Wakegirl says there is only so much you can do with a boat that wide. BTW, my spindles were also dropped a little by the dealer to make sure it fit into a 7' opening.

Terry

Well, the limitations with the size of the boat in conjunction with width limitations on the trailer give you only so much room for the boat, regardless of the brand. 102" is as wide as the trailer can be

It's funny that the limitation on the trailer is 102", yet the guide posts are around 108" or so from tip to tip. How do they get away with that? Dontknow.gif I built special guide posts that fold in to get the boat through my 9' wide door in the back of my garage because I got tired of always pulling them off.

Terry

You seem to be very knowledgeable about boats WakeGirl. COOL!!!

Dude, you have NO idea....

She can tell the difference between a ford and a chevy motor too...

Patrick Love.gif

Oh you don't want to go there. :ford:

Oh we did go there and so will you..... Chevy_anim.gifChevy_anim.gifChevy_anim.gifChevy_anim.gif . It is your destiny....... Crazy.gif

Destiny = Bankruptcy???

They went bankrupt because, they built them so good once you buy one you never need to buy one again.