Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft removal problems

Need help please.

I have an 88 skier DD. i hit a submerged rock last night at the lake and trashed the prop and bent the shaft. im sick. i was able to get the prop off ok but for the life of me i cannot get the shaft off of the coupling that bolts to the tranny. i have read all of the posts talking about shaft removal and they all talk about a nut that hold the shaft to the coupling. my skier does not have a nut. the coupling on my boat has two bolts with jam nuts that screw into the coupling to pinch agianst the shaft. i have pulled the bolts loosened the packing nut so the shaft will slide back and forth easily with the coupling bolts removed. i have also sprayed with penetrating oil. no such luck.

Thanks in advance for your help,

I feel your pain. If shaft is bent, you'll probably just be replacing, right? Just cut the shaft as the replacement shafts come with a new coupling (that's what I've been told anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

Update!!!!!

I was able to press the shaft out of the housing by using 4 pieces of 3/8" allthread and 8 3/8" nuts and a socket. I removed the original bolts slit the shaft and coupling just enough to put a 1/2" socket agianst the shaft and the nut on the transmission. then installed the allthread and nuts rotating and tightning evenly pressing the shaft out of the coupling. It took a while but i was able to remove it. I priced a new shaft and it was over $300.00 to replace it. I took the bent shaft to a machine shop that Straightens drive shafts etc. and they did it for $85.00. I also went to a 13 X 11.5 ACME prop, WOW what a difference. Great hole shot, 3 miles an hour on the top end and got my rpms up around 5000 at full throttle with no vibration on the rebuilt shaft. Also for the 85 dollars they welded up, ground and polished the groove on the shaft where the packing rides.

Update!!!!!

I was able to press the shaft out of the housing by using 4 pieces of 3/8" allthread and 8 3/8" nuts and a socket. I removed the original bolts slit the shaft and coupling just enough to put a 1/2" socket agianst the shaft and the nut on the transmission. then installed the allthread and nuts rotating and tightning evenly pressing the shaft out of the coupling. It took a while but i was able to remove it. I priced a new shaft and it was over $300.00 to replace it. I took the bent shaft to a machine shop that Straightens drive shafts etc. and they did it for $85.00. I also went to a 13 X 11.5 ACME prop, WOW what a difference. Great hole shot, 3 miles an hour on the top end and got my rpms up around 5000 at full throttle with no vibration on the rebuilt shaft. Also for the 85 dollars they welded up, ground and polished the groove on the shaft where the packing rides.

Sounds like you got your money's worth. Please post back if you have any issues with that shaft. I've had a hard time before getting shops to do any welding on a prop shaft. Many of them don't want to take responsibility if it breaks and causes damage to the boat

Great idea I will need to remember that. Although I would rather not hit a rock ! Cry.gif I think the redline is 4400 rpm if it is a merc comp ski 260? I run a 13x11 only at 6200' elev. were power is way down. 5000 rpm may not be a happy place for that motor.

My skier is and 88 but it has a 320 horse aftermarket marine engine in it. i talked with a malibu mechanic and he told me 5000 rpm will definitly not hurt a small block chevrolet engine. i am also around 5000 ft.