Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Strut Bushing

I have a 04 wakesetter LSV. Ran over someones rope which wrapped between the prop and strut on the shaft. Got it off and some of the bushing came out as well. Idled back home and took a look. Seems to be no shaft or prop damage. Does anyone know what is involved in changing the bushing only. Dealer says that the whole strut must be raplaced which I can't believe. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 04 wakesetter LSV. Ran over someones rope which wrapped between the prop and strut on the shaft. Got it off and some of the bushing came out as well. Idled back home and took a look. Seems to be no shaft or prop damage. Does anyone know what is involved in changing the bushing only. Dealer says that the whole strut must be raplaced which I can't believe. Any help would be appreciated.

I just had my whole strut replaced. My dealer/service guys let me help out with the replace and install. I noticed that the bushings are replaceable. IIRC, you can contact www.marinehardware.com and they have the replacement bushings. If you notice next to the strut on the shaft part, you will see two set screws. Those are the ones that hold the bushings on. You still have to take the strut off to install the bushings. A new complete strut is about $225. It's about an one and a half of labor.

After watching and helping how to install, it is a DIY job.

Strut has to come off, can't see why it would need to be replaced -- hard to imagine how a ski rope could damage it. The bushings are readily available and replaceable - SkiDIM has 'em.

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1119

Getting the shaft off can be challenging, as can removing the old strut bushings. If you're going to do it yourself, might be worth looking at the A.R.E. strut and bushing puller that SkiDIM sells.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SHSBPULLERG

There's a video of that thing in use

I don't mean to sound like a shill for SkiDIM, but I've seen that ARE puller in action and it REALLY simplifies the job.

Edited by Big Mac

I Just changed mine, I built a puller. I found this http://www.strutpro.com/index.htm It sould take about an hour with a tool like this. Remove prop use tool done. No pulling rudder or shaft.

My dealer always tries to convince customers to get the new strut too because the bbushings themselves are 60 bucks, and they have not had good success with doing bushing removal in terms of time and damage. so, they either send out the strut for bushing removal or try to convince to replace.

How easy is your prop/shaft to turn by hand? This will tell you if the strut is damaged. Should turn easily but not free spin(continue after you let go). Remove the prop the remve the hub on the other end of the shaft (after unbolting). Pull the shaft. Get a hacksaw and take the blade/frame apart. Feed the blade through the strut bearing and re-assemble hacksaw with the blade upside down. Cut into the bearing with the inverted blade (you will be cutting into the rubber part first and then the brass sleeve). You don't have to cut all the way through the whole bearing,... just get it almost through at the back end where you can see. Next get a chisel with ~3/16" wide blade. The brass sleeve around the rubber part of the bearing is very thin. So just a few taps near your hacksaw cut with the chisel and hammer will get it started tearing. Once you get it started your pretty much home free. It comes out easier than you think.