Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Will Malibu change their Hull

gripnrip

With the new Natique 200 will Malibu counter with a new hull design to compete with it. I am a very loyal Malibu owner but skiing behind a Natique is very impressive and they have little wake. I do like the way mine drives and handles through the course. Any thoughts or news on this?

CC came out with a very late "me to" entry into this decades offerings of ski boats, I don't see Bu or MC doing anything with that boat. The 200 looks like they put the ski nautique touches on 2003-2006 RLXi on the outside. I have only seen pictures of it and my opinion may change when I see it in person but I don't think Bu has anything to worry about....

With the new Natique 200 will Malibu counter with a new hull design to compete with it. I am a very loyal Malibu owner but skiing behind a Natique is very impressive and they have little wake. I do like the way mine drives and handles through the course. Any thoughts or news on this?

Are you saying the 03-06 hull is better, wake wise, to the current? I haven't skied behind the current Bu hull design, but was told there is a bump on the new design.

The insinuation here is that the Nautique has a far superior wake quality compared the the current (and even the past) RLXI hulls. I disagree with that opinion. IMO by most measures the Response and RLXI wake quality is comperable, especially from about 28 - 32 off and in which is where the bigger dogs rate wakes, to the other top slalom boats. At slower speeds (26 - 32) it better IMO than some of the other "top" slalom boats. A couple of of several reasons I bought my Bu as opposed to the other comperable boats I could have bought. It is different, that doesn't make it worse. Different skis work differently for some than others, boats pretty much the same. The Bu works best for me, that's why I bought one.

Ed

I got to go with Ed on this one. I could have bought any boat but thought the Bu had the best wake. I think the 07 and newer Cut Diamond are a bit more weight sensitive than the Diamond hull Rlxi's.

My personal feelings are The CC196 has more prop wash. The MC has a crisper wake than the Rlxi. None are bad.

It's about time CC woke up. I had a SN but bought a Bu because of the open bow.

I know I am one of the few, but I am very interested in seeing how good the barefoot wake is.

The marketing hype for this New CC 200 boat is that it is supposed to revelutionize the ski boat world... They got a bunch of peeps to say that the wakes and driving are way better then the 196- and because it's better then the 196 it's way better then ANY other ski boat. Well, the little I've seen doesn't demonstrate that to me- I don't see anything new! I see a RLXi/197 'ish looking ski boat and I see what looks like a Maliview system in the dash pod. The wakes in the pictures look the same in size shape but seem to have more trash in the white water( I didn't think that was possible).

I asked several of the big dawgs around me what they could think of to improve the wakes and the unanimous answer was "nothing". I agree, the wakes aren't what is keeping me back. I like the pull of the 196 and if they can just keep that pull with the new hull they will have done some thing good.

All this is the long winded way of saying that I don't think the new boat offers anything that ski boats don't already offer....

The marketing hype for this New CC 200 boat is that it is supposed to revelutionize the ski boat world... They got a bunch of peeps to say that the wakes and driving are way better then the 196- and because it's better then the 196 it's way better then ANY other ski boat. Well, the little I've seen doesn't demonstrate that to me- I don't see anything new! I see a RLXi/197 'ish looking ski boat and I see what looks like a Maliview system in the dash pod. The wakes in the pictures look the same in size shape but seem to have more trash in the white water( I didn't think that was possible).

I asked several of the big dawgs around me what they could think of to improve the wakes and the unanimous answer was "nothing". I agree, the wakes aren't what is keeping me back. I like the pull of the 196 and if they can just keep that pull with the new hull they will have done some thing good.

All this is the long winded way of saying that I don't think the new boat offers anything that ski boats don't already offer....

Plus1.gifYes.gif

At my speed and line length (30mph+ and 15' off) Malibu is the best IMO. Mastercraft is good too but I dont like the Nautique 196. I always seem to get pulled out the front behind the Nautique, but that could also be related to Zero Off.

Plus, All the hype for the new Nautique is coming from CorrectCraft itself and all their skiers. Do you think people in those videos are just going to come out and say "Well the interior is fugly and there is way too much propwash at 22' off." No. I need to ski behind it myself or hear some unbiased opinions.

I have driven and skied behind the new SN200. It was great to drive and ski behind. I still would NOT trade my 08 RLXi for it.

The SN200 wake was turbulent but very skiable. That day I started at -28 32mph, then 34mph, then -32 34 mph, then -35 34mph. Those speeds and line lengths felt great. My wife skied -15, 28 mph, 30mph, and 32 mph. She liked the wake but said it is not any better than the LXi.

There were some nice features like the offset steering wheel, Zero off located near the throttle, and ski lockers on both sides (that had a nice step area for getting in and out of the boat). I did not like the throttle (was not DBW) and the way the bottom looked. It looked like a standard SN196 bottom with all sorts of add on features. Overall, the boat was nice.

I like the SN196, SN200, MC197, but my personal favorite is still a Response LXi.

What's "offset steering wheel" ? Is it offset from the centerline of the driver seat, from the dash, or?

Thanks,

Peter

How would you compare the pull of the 200 with that of the 196 and then also the 08 RLXi? Do all those all those boats have ZO or is there a mixture of SG and ZO. What do you mean about not liking the throttle? That throttle has to be DBW as they can't get engines anymore without DBW, or are you talking about how CC uses a cable to go back to the engine block and that feeds into the mechanism that feeds the DBW system?

I have driven and skied behind the new SN200. It was great to drive and ski behind. I still would NOT trade my 08 RLXi for it.

The SN200 wake was turbulent but very skiable. That day I started at -28 32mph, then 34mph, then -32 34 mph, then -35 34mph. Those speeds and line lengths felt great. My wife skied -15, 28 mph, 30mph, and 32 mph. She liked the wake but said it is not any better than the LXi.

There were some nice features like the offset steering wheel, Zero off located near the throttle, and ski lockers on both sides (that had a nice step area for getting in and out of the boat). I did not like the throttle (was not DBW) and the way the bottom looked. It looked like a standard SN196 bottom with all sorts of add on features. Overall, the boat was nice.

I like the SN196, SN200, MC197, but my personal favorite is still a Response LXi.

To answer the above questions:

The steering wheel is offset from CL of the drivers seat. It was very comfortable to drive. Also the gauges were all located to the right of the steering wheel. Before driving I thought it would be awkward, but it felt very comfortable quickly.

I have skied SN196, RLXi, MC197 all with ZO and PP (different years had different cruise systems). Obviously the SN200 only had ZO. Although I feel "differences" between PP and ZO, my scores do not show a difference--skiing different model year boats within a week or two.

The throttle of the SN200 was stiff and not as responsive as normal DBW in a Malibu or MasterCraft. In other words, it would engage forward or reverse and have lots of movement before the engine RPM would respond. It felt like a cable system.

The steering wheel is offset from CL of the drivers seat.

Is it truely offset or does it just appear to be offset due to the gauge cluster being on the right side? I would think if it was truely offset that would feel ackward.