Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaking oil bath hubs...how to remove and fix

thethrillofspeed

One of my oil bath hubs is leaking. Not at the rear, but appears to be at the front (outside) where the silver piece goes into the hub. I guess there must be some sort of seal there. Now how in the world do you remove the hub? I need to get this fixed asap as I have plans to take my boat to the lake this weekend.

There is no seal, gasket, or O-ring on the front. It is a tight interference fit. To remove the cap, you hit it from the side with a rubber mallot, turning the hub after every hit so you strike it in a different place. You don't have to pound it, just hit it. It will eventually wiggle out. It you can' t turn the hub because the wheel is on the ground, then strike it from the left, then the right.

Thanks for the speedy reply! Interesting. Ok, I think I can handle that. How do you put it back in? A light coat of RTV and tap in in square? Or should I just go buy a new cap?

Edited by thethrillofspeed
Thanks for the speedy reply! Interesting. Ok, I think I can handle that. How do you put it back in? A light coat of RTV and tap in in square? Or should I just go buy a new cap?

No RTV just get a new O-Ring put it in place and gently tap it back in. However before you do that check to make sure its not just leaking from the allen screw that threads into the hub itself. You have to pull the wheel in order to get to it. I had mine leak from there once.

The wheel is off right now and I'm checking to see if the leak is coming from the allen screw. I'm hoping that is the case and that will be an easier fix.

No RTV just get a new O-Ring put it in place and gently tap it back in. However before you do that check to make sure its not just leaking from the allen screw that threads into the hub itself. You have to pull the wheel in order to get to it. I had mine leak from there once.

My 2003 hubs have no O-ring. Is this a feature of newer hubs? I also put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the treads of the allen head plug. Therefore you do not have to overtighten them, risking stripping the threads out.

My 2003 hubs have no O-ring. Is this a feature of newer hubs? I also put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the treads of the allen head plug. Therefore you do not have to overtighten them, risking stripping the threads out.

My Trailer is a 2006 and I just recently had to pull the rotors and it had a 0 ring just inside of the hub where you pull off the cap. I can't answer about earlier trailers. If there is no place in the hub for an O-ring I guess it doesn't have one. Dontknow.gif