Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard workout?

Boomer

Ok, no jokes... :)

I'm not 18 or 140lbs anymore, and it seems the main limitation to my riding is simply stamina. Once I get up I do a few jumps, ride switch a while, do a few 180's, and I'm freaking beat and done. I'm guessing something like 5 minutes or less.

I am having a hard time improving since I simply can't ride long enough.

Does anyone have an idea of what is a good at-home working to improve on-water endurance?

Maybe tie my wake line to a pole and pull on it as hard as I can for as long as I can? lol. I know it sounds funny, but I'm trying to figure out what excercises work the same muscles and can help me build some endurance on the water.

I have a stationary bike, would that help at all?

Advice appreciated!

I'm by no means an expert, but I have one of those work-out weight sets you can get at Sams' Club for ~$350. I've been doing leg curls, bench press, lat pull-downs and the rowing machine and seem to have more stamina than I used to.

Last summer my stamina was down as well.

To change this, I did the following:

1. Walk at least 2-3 miles every other day, in may neighborhood its real hilly so good workout.

2. Mountain bike when possible and push myself to get some hills in.

3. Squats, enough said!

4. Ride more!!!

5. Stop riding hung over :lol: Still working on #5, especially during the long weekends.

A month ago I hooked up with a guy who is a power lifting champion. He has gotten me into a pretty good routine. We workout together 2 times a week. Tuesdays = Heavy legs Thursday = Heavy chest, shoulders and arms. 5 days a week, aerobic exercise and I'm suppose to find time to do a light workout (80% of heavy day's 2 times a weeks) Still working on getting this into my routine. Anyway, I feel great! My strength has increased dramatically. This winter I'm going to make a big push and lose some lb's, so this winter I can get more snow skiing in and then next summer 20lbs lighter and more fit = bigger air!

In the immortal words of Dean Wormer (Animal House):

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son...."

I muttered those very words yesterday as I was gasping for breath after a good long ride. (All but the drunk part applied to me then.....)

As a lifetime runner with genetically bad feet and knees I want to throw a few second opinions out there. Running on surfaces that give will definitely work you harder because that type of surface doesn't efficiently transfer your energy to running. The down side is that your running shoes are working harder to keep your feet stable on an uneven surface. You are also going to be prone to exagerating the joint movements in your ankle to maintain a comfortable pace and stability. This can lead to the infamous shin splints and knee pain from the lateral workout. With my flat feet it also causes very bruised feet. If you have a lot of weight on you, then all this could be worse. I save trail running and track running on red dog for power workouts, not endurance.

Go to roadrunnersports.com and get yourself a pair of running shoes designed specifically for your body type and running needs (cushioned, stability, weight, last type, motion control). Then you can hit the treadmill or streets and trails around the home. If you have a predictable strong running surface like pavement, and you have running shoes that are optimum for your biomechanics, then you won't have the joint problems that people try to flee from by running on cushioned surfaces like grass and gravel.

Get a road bike. Biggrin.gif Easy on the joints (I was riding mine on a trainer just 1 week after ACL/MCL surgery). Best cross-training that I've found for watersports, helps my slalom tremendously. Nothing like cranking out 50-60 miles in the Sierra's to put a hurting on ya. Crazy.gif

I use my Bowflex 3 times a week and ride my bike the other days. My work outs are in the early morning are last about 30 minutes. While the time and workouts are not that overly rigorous they keep me in tone. Also, they get you going for the day.

1. Walk at least 2-3 miles every other day, in may neighborhood its real hilly so good workout.

3. Squats, enough said!

4. Ride more!!!

5. Stop riding hung over :lol:  Still working on #5, especially during the long weekends.

A month ago I hooked up with a guy who is a power lifting champion.  He has gotten me into a pretty good routine.  We workout together 2 times a week.  Tuesdays = Heavy legs  Thursday = Heavy chest, shoulders and arms.  5 days a week, aerobic exercise and I'm suppose to find time to do a light workout (80% of heavy day's 2 times a weeks)  Still working on getting this into my routine.  Anyway, I feel great!  My strength has increased dramatically.  This winter I'm going to make a big push and lose some lb's, so this winter I can get more snow skiing in and then next summer 20lbs lighter and more fit = bigger air!

When do you do your back? Thats half of your upper body. I hope you just forgot to type that in. No weight training program is complete without wide grip chins, rows of some sort, dead lifts, and maybe some pull overs.

Ok, key take away = work out. I should have known. :)

I was a track athlete in HS, but now it's pretty difficult due to weighing more. Plus I was never a distance runner, but a sprinter. I have a very high proportion of fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscles.

I think I'll start hitting my bike and stationary bike more, see if that works. I guess anything that raises my heart rate for an extended time will increase stamina.

I was really just wondering if standard stuff like running and biking helped, or should I try specific wakeboard stuff to work the same muscles.

Done all of the above but had the absolute best results from these guys:

http://www.nwpersonaltraining.com/

Unbelievable how efficient a workout can be when guided by a professional personal trainer. Emphasis-PROFESSIONAL. The results are dramatic.

Not Biff at the local gym thats for sure.

Not for everybody but has solved my accountability problem! Yahoo.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw this thread for the first time. In regards to running: whether on soft or hard surfaces, the absolute best thing I ever did was start a running group that meets every Saturday at Six Thirty (hence our name -- The SAST Group). Knowing that there will be someone(s) waiting and expecting you to join them for a run is the best way to stay on task.

In my case it deosn't hurt than most of the members of my group are the choicest looking, best conditioned, smartest and most interesting babes in my hood. Heck even when I am the slowest in the group (often) I still have a pretty good view.

3. Squats, enough said!

4. Ride more!!!

5. Stop riding hung over :lol:  Still working on #5, especially during the long weekends.

A month ago I hooked up with a guy who is a power lifting champion.  He has gotten me into a pretty good routine.  We workout together 2 times a week.  Tuesdays = Heavy legs  Thursday = Heavy chest, shoulders and arms.  5 days a week, aerobic exercise and I'm suppose to find time to do a light workout (80% of heavy day's 2 times a weeks)  Still working on getting this into my routine.  Anyway, I feel great!  My strength has increased dramatically.  This winter I'm going to make a big push and lose some lb's, so this winter I can get more snow skiing in and then next summer 20lbs lighter and more fit = bigger air!

When do you do your back? Thats half of your upper body. I hope you just forgot to type that in. No weight training program is complete without wide grip chins, rows of some sort, dead lifts, and maybe some pull overs.

Heavy Legs: Squats (feet wide apart), Dead Lifts (feet wide apart), Inner/outer thigh, hamstring curls, calf extensions, hyper back extensions.

Heavy Chest: Bench press, Lat Pull downs, incline press, overhead press, side lats, rear deltoid extensions, biceps, triceps.

On the other days, variations of these same exercises, just at 80% of max lift. At present I get in for this about 1-2 days on a good week. The heavy lifting days, are 3 hour workouts, and really build strength (quickly). Aerobic wise, I walk our dogs through our neighborhood every morning, 2-3 miles in a hilly neighborhood. Also, on Mondays I hit a "Core" class.

Luckily, a buddy of mine introduced me to John. He has won numerous Power Lifting titles and has a good work ethic. He has also worked with top athletes like Mark Maguire when he was witht he A's. The biggest thing for me, is having someone to workout with. I have gone many times by myself, and just got bored. When you have a partner, you are more motivated.

Done all of the above but had the absolute best results from these guys:

http://www.nwpersonaltraining.com/

Unbelievable how efficient a workout can be when guided by a professional personal trainer.  Emphasis-PROFESSIONAL. The results are dramatic.

Not Biff at the local gym thats for sure.

Not for everybody but has solved my accountability problem! Yahoo.gif

Yup! Many 24hr Fitnesses have Personal Trainers available as well, for a reasonable price. They have started to include personal trainers with many of there memeberships. I have seen a few people at our gym take advantage of it, and if anything, it gives you a person to work out with who can guide you and get you started on a program.

3. Squats, enough said!

4. Ride more!!!

Heavy Legs: Squats (feet wide apart), Dead Lifts (feet wide apart), Inner/outer thigh, hamstring curls, calf extensions, hyper back extensions.

Heavy Chest: Bench press, Lat Pull downs, incline press, overhead press, side lats, rear deltoid extensions, biceps, triceps.

On the other days, variations of these same exercises, just at 80% of max lift. At present I get in for this about 1-2 days on a good week. The heavy lifting days, are 3 hour workouts, and really build strength (quickly). Aerobic wise, I walk our dogs through our neighborhood every morning, 2-3 miles in a hilly neighborhood. Also, on Mondays I hit a "Core" class.

Luckily, a buddy of mine introduced me to John. He has won numerous Power Lifting titles and has a good work ethic. He has also worked with top athletes like Mark Maguire when he was witht he A's. The biggest thing for me, is having someone to workout with. I have gone many times by myself, and just got bored. When you have a partner, you are more motivated.

That looks like a solid routine. I'm glad your doing some back work in there. My only question is why does it take you 3 hours to do that routine. Are you doing a power lifting routine with long rest (2-5 minutes) between sets?

My leg routine is as follows

Squats. 6 sets from 30 reps at start increasing weight to final set of 4 reps. Full range of motion down past parallel. Foot position depends on time of the year. Wide in the spring to get ready for water sports. Close in the fall to get ready to snow ski.

Front squats. 4 sets 12-6 reps full range of motion as well. Alternate having heals on a 1 inch board or flat on floor.

Leg Press. 3 sets 12-8 reps knees all the way to chest.

Leg curls 4 sets 12-6 reps

Calf raises 3-4 set

Ab work. Alternate different stuff.

I do every set to near failure. Hard to go to full failure on legs. Any machine work I go to failure.

I rest on a 60 second cycle between sets. 75-80 seconds on really heavy sets.

Takes me almost exactly 1 hour.

I do deadlifts on a different day. I don't think that I can put full efforts into good squats and good deadlifts on the same day.

Between stretching, and then 4-5 sets of each excercise between the 2 of us, we usually are there about 3 hours.

Most of the time requirement also goes to changing plates (squats, dead lift, bench press). Plus, he is doing around 600lbs squats while I am at around 285+lbs, for now :).

We typically go straight from squats to dead lifts = murder! :lol:

Between stretching, and then 4-5 sets of each excercise between the 2 of us, we usually are there about 3 hours. 

Most of the time requirement also goes to changing plates (squats, dead lift, bench press).  Plus, he is doing around 600lbs squats while I am at around 285+lbs, for now :).

We typically go straight from squats to dead lifts = murder! :lol:

Squats and dead lifts back to back are a challenge. I used to squat 375-400 lbs (to parallel not below) regularly. I weigh about 165 lbs. I don't do more than about 300lbs. anymore. I concentrate more on range of motion. I go really low and work on form and balance. I also don't use a belt when squatting. I feel like that maintains my core strength better. I was frequently getting minor muscle injuries when I was squatting heavier. I'm not a very big guy and with the # of reps I was doing it would just feel like it was crushing the sh*t out of me.

I do back and tris on a separate day.

Wide grip chins 4 set 12-6 reps

Barbell rows 4 set 12-6 reps

Dead lifts 4 sets 12-4 reps

Pullover machine 3 set 12-8 reps

Cable press down 5 sets 20-6 reps

Close grip bench 4 sets 12-6 reps

Over head tri press super set with dips 3 sets

ab work

Drew, Sounds like a pretty good workout.

I am going to try and mix my other days, with a similar routine.

I haven't lifted heavy weights in 24yrs, so I am still working my way into it. On the squats and dead lifts, we are going wide stance and toes angled out, parallel to the floor. Also working on form. My friend only likes to lift heavy this way. Less stress on the knees.

I'll see where I am at in 6 months... should be at least 350lbs on squats, and I doubt I will go much passed that, too much stress on the back as you pointed out.

On our benching days, we will sometime work in rack work, which is sometimes harder than the bench press itself, go figure......

BTW, we are only doing up to 8-10 reps warm up, and then moving up in weight until ultimately we get to 2-4 reps to failure. And then repeat. Usually takes 4-5 sets.

I usually work from 12 reps and add weight until failure at about 6 reps. Some times I go heavier and do 2-4 reps like your doing to change up what the muscles are used to. Its also good to work in some speed days with progressive resistance if you have time. Box squats, bench with chains or bands, squats with chains. 50-60% of your 1RM for 3 rep sets 5-8 sets. Explode through the movement to build speed. Power is force plus speed.

But who has time to do everything. :(

Edited by painterdrew

Ok, I went riding yesterday, and it felt like I had a little more stamina. The limiting factor was my hands wearing out, and feet cramping up.

Need to work on grip strength, maybe get one of the spring-loaded hand workout thingies, and squeeze it all day? Maybe lose 50 lbs, so it's less resistance on the water?

As for the feet, my search continues for bindings I can wear over 10 minutes...

Just ride more (I'm sure the excercises listed above will help too...)

One thing to work on is ridding multiple sets and push yourself a little longer when riding. When you go out - how much do you ride? Do you quit when you get tired? Maybe try working on riding switch after you get too tired to jump (in control)

Next time you hit the water - think of it more as a workout... after you are done playing. If you were lifting weights, you wouldn't just go home once you start getting tired - you'd push yourself. I know I used to quit earlier when I got tired while riding...

SacRiverRat also make a great point. Riding in itself and pushing yourself more, can help you help build stamina.......... SacRiverRat had the last 2 months off from work, and his stamina has increased dramatically :)

SacRiverRat also make a great point.  Riding in itself and pushing yourself more, can help you help build stamina.......... SacRiverRat had the last 2 months off from work, and his stamina has increased dramatically  :)

I wish my skills had improved as much, but I have noticed a significant improvement in stamina, as well as recovery time.

Other thing to try is to fall a bit more often. I find that I can ride a lot longer when I'm trying new tricks, and fall more - giving myself little breathers, and shorter mini-sets.

So next time you start getting tired - just drop in for a rest, then keep going. And remember, even though you are boarding for fun, you also want to improve your staminia... so earn that beer! Biggrin.gif