Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

blower or blow up?

Steve16r

blower or blow up?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. do you everstart yor boat without using the blower?

• yes i use the blower every time
    • no i never use the blower until....
    • no i never use the blower
    • i use the blower and open the engine cover.
    • no blower but i do open the engine cover
  2. 2. have you ever had a back fire threw the intake

• no
    • yes
    • i dont know my stereo is always on full blast

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baddog

• smeagol

• REW

• MalibuTime

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep I use it only for a minute or two, I don't have the patience to wait the full 4 minutes the warning sticker says, I guess it's better than nothing at all.

I tow the boat to the lake and feel that the vents take in fresh air and blow out any vapors. If I have the boat sitting in the water over night. I will turn on the blower before starting.

When we get in the boat, blower stays on until we're back at the dock. It's a cheap part. Better safe than sorry. We burned out 3 blowers in our last boat.

Edited by CrazyTegger

I always run the blower before starting whether the engine is warm or not. I also run the blower if I am below cruising speed, so when we wakeboard, the blower is always on especially if we have an inexperienced rider who is constantly falling. I agree with the above posts, it is a cheap part and it is better to be safe than sorry.

I use it on all cold starts. I will run it if the boat has been sitting for time. I don't run it between skiers or after a short shut down.

Plus1.gif

I always run the blower before starting whether the engine is warm or not. I also run the blower if I am below cruising speed, so when we wakeboard, the blower is always on especially if we have an inexperienced rider who is constantly falling. I agree with the above posts, it is a cheap part and it is better to be safe than sorry.

So what you're saying is that it's on all the time.....

I've been told that gas fumes are heavier than air and therefore SINK through the air. Thus opening your back hatches isn't going to do anything but allow the air/fuel vapor mixture reach the magic percentages for boom boom. Maybe someone can clarify that for me but the blower is there to suck out the fumes from the bottom of the compartments.

Edited by CrazyTegger

Yes, I have started my boat without the blower on. rarely. I always have it blowing before starting the boat cold.

I see my voltage drop while it's on, so I have it turned off (and the stereo too) when I slip into the water. When I drive, I have it on under cruise speed.

I just lift the lid while i'm sorting my crap out. Always like to take a look in there anyway.

Same here especially if its been in the hot sun under the boat cover and that engine is sooo perty. Love.gif I also turn the blower on at the staging area and let it run pretty much the whole time we are out, unless it's a day trip then it's on and off.

I don't think its as important as when boats were carburated but I still run my blower for a minute or two before cold starts and if I have been sitting for awhile.

When we get in the boat, blower stays on until we're back at the dock. It's a cheap part. Better safe than sorry. We burned out 3 blowers in our last boat.

Why??

Even if it is a cheap part there is absolutely no reason to run it all the time.

Yes, always use your blower... Story I heard is there was a question if he really used his blower.

http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/view/112374/81/

Firstly, take note that it was only a Mastercraft . . . so who cares? Glad he wasn't hurt too badly.

Secondly, I am sure it was simply a ploy so he could buy the Malibu he always wished he had.

I tow the boat to the lake and feel that the vents take in fresh air and blow out any vapors. If I have the boat sitting in the water over night. I will turn on the blower before starting.

Rockon.gif Yep thats what I do.

Word of caution. Run your blower no matter what, Particularly after refuelling. I have first hand experience at being the meat at the BBQ and I can tell you it is hot. Luck to still be here.