Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Set on D3/X5

Chef23

I just got in from my first two sets on my new D3/X5. It is a 68.5" with the HO Venom off of my 69" Charger.

The ski accelerates well and stops on a dime. Right out of the box I ran my initial 15 off pass and got 5 at 22. I have been making 22 out off the dock about 70% of the time on the Charger so it was pretty encouraging.

Initial thoughts are the ski is fast and turns much quicker than the HO (no big surprise there). I did have a couple of issues with the ski stalling a little on my off side in the turn. The D3 doesn't ride as high in the water as the Charger (not that I expected it to) but seems to accelerate at least as well.

I think as I get comfortable on it and get it dialed in this will help me go deeper than the Charger. Unfortunately I only have a month or so of serious skiing left.

I was coming from an HO Phantom and have already improved my PB about 1.5 passes without even adjusting the fin from stock yet. I think I'm going to keep the stock fin setting through this year and see how deep I can get, then just mess with the fin in the off season. I am working through 35' now. I am also having troubles with the ski stalling coming out of the corner on my off side, it's come close to sending me into some bad crashes so far, especially at the 32' loop.

I was coming from an HO Phantom and have already improved my PB about 1.5 passes without even adjusting the fin from stock yet.  I think I'm going to keep the stock fin setting through this year and see how deep I can get, then just mess with the fin in the off season.  I am working through 35' now.  I am also having troubles with the ski stalling coming out of the corner on my off side, it's come close to sending me into some bad crashes so far, especially at the 32' loop.

I was away with the family so I haven't had a chance to get out on the ski again yet. I am going again tomorrow morning. I wasn't sure if it was ski set up with the stalling or just me. I am going to give it a couple of more sets with the stock binding and fin set ups and see how it does.

I am not as deep into short line as you are so I don't think the wing is going to be as critical. I am hoping this ski will help me get through 28 and hopefully through 32 next year.