Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead-drop in oil pressure

jkendallmsce

Have other hammerhead owners had low and in this case no oil pressure issues?

I just changed the oil, using Castrol SAE 15W-40 and a WIX 1069 oil filter. I am using the new Indmar dipstick, which is supposed to add 1 quart of oil to the crankcase. The oil was checked that morning and was at the full mark on the dipstick. There are approx 2 hours on the engine since the oil was changed. The engine has approx 70 hours on it.

After a 30 second run at WOT, and now back at idle, the low pressure warning light triggered showing 0 psi.

I am curious if others have experienced the same problem, and if changing to a straight 40 weight will help.

thanks in advance

jkendallmsce
What year is your boat?

O psi at idle does not sound good Whistling.gif

The hammerhead is the same for all year produced, some of the emission controls have changed to accomodate regulatory requirements, but the engine has remained the same.

But it is a 2007 Response LXI

After getting my boat back from an oil change, on the first run i had no oil pressure but oil.

Turned out to be the connection at the oil pressure sending unit, located right next to the filter.

(the connector was off).

It is possible the connector was loose, and then came off after your run.

Might check there first.

Edited by Soon2BV

I just changed the oil, using Castrol SAE 15W-40 and a WIX 1069 oil filter. I am using the new Indmar dipstick, which is supposed to add 1 quart of oil to the crankcase. The oil was checked that morning and was at the full mark on the dipstick. There are approx 2 hours on the engine since the oil was changed. The engine has approx 70 hours on it.

After a 30 second run at WOT, and now back at idle, the low pressure warning light triggered showing 0 psi.

I am curious if others have experienced the same problem, and if changing to a straight 40 weight will help.

thanks in advance

I originally had quite a bit of oil pressure problems on my 06' Hammerhead. If you do a quick search of my posts, you will find my problems spelled out. I had the same exact situation you have going on. Indmar and Malibu finally came up with a band-aid solution. I now run 50 weight racing oil and one quart extra than the original amount. Earlier this year they sent out new dipsticks to all Hammerhead owners that basically raised the oil level by that one extra quart. Not a true fix, but at least I don't have my oil pressure dropping to zero at idle anymore.

jkendallmsce

thanks in advance

I originally had quite a bit of oil pressure problems on my 06' Hammerhead. If you do a quick search of my posts, you will find my problems spelled out. I had the same exact situation you have going on. Indmar and Malibu finally came up with a band-aid solution. I now run 50 weight racing oil and one quart extra than the original amount. Earlier this year they sent out new dipsticks to all Hammerhead owners that basically raised the oil level by that one extra quart. Not a true fix, but at least I don't have my oil pressure dropping to zero at idle anymore.

I am wondering if the lack of oil pressure and other problems is why Malibu is dropping the Hammerhead? 50 weight seems like sludge when comparing to the newer engines and specially the low operating temp of 160. I could see that if running much hotter temps. I have a Honda hybrid for work and that uses a 0W-20.

What are you using for 50 weight oil? Synthetic?

I

thanks in advance

I am wondering if the lack of oil pressure and other problems is why Malibu is dropping the Hammerhead? 50 weight seems like sludge when comparing to the newer engines and specially the low operating temp of 160. I could see that if running much hotter temps. I have a Honda hybrid for work and that uses a 0W-20.

I

They want me to run Valvoline VR1 racing oil. It is not synthetic. Yes it is thick and slow to fill the crankcase with!

What year is your boat?

The hammerhead is the same for all year produced, some of the emission controls have changed to accomodate regulatory requirements, but the engine has remained the same.

For clarification, no it isn't. It changed in '05, prior to that it was a completely different engine. '05-'09 was 383 ci, prior to that it was 350 ci with completely different specs & problems that went with it. That was the reason for his question.

thanks in advance

I

You'll never get the true answer but the reason for engine oil consumption is because of too much clearance, bearings, pistons, valve guides and oil rings, the only other reason is cam bearing clearance but there are not many options in that regard. Indmar hammerheads were not designed correctly, whether it be from eng. design or GM not catching this problem in time. These engines are not "that" high performance to require racing oil but I think things were taken out of content when they were built and some changes were made without really thinking this through or at least running the engines on a first article basis. At the temps. these motors run at , there is no reason to run that type of oil much less burn any at all, I truly think that there should be some replacements of the short blocks as the real cure.

The best answer that I've gotten on the issue was that the 383 Hammerheads were built "loose". That's part of the reason that some customers were told to drive them hard from the start. Mine ran with lower than what you would expect oil pressure, but never gave me any issues. I didn't do Indmar's break in, I drove it hard from the start - it never burned a drop & didn't get many of the low pressure warning buzzers. After I went to 20/50, I didn't get any, even at the end of a 50 hour cycle.

I have a 2007 with the hammerhead. So far I haven't had any problems with it. When it is fully warmed up I have between 48 and 52 psi of oil pressure at about 2700 rpm. At idle it drops to about 27 psi. Is this a normal range for the engine? Is this what most people have? I only have 34 hours on my boat though and don't run it hard. It rarely if ever sees more than 3000rpm. I don't think I have an oil burn issue but have to admit I haven't checked it lately. I will probably only put about 25-30 hours on this year.

There will be a lot of people that will tell you that it's uncommonly good, but the truth of the matter is that really you don't hear that often from people when they aren't having problems. Usually it's just when something has gone wrong, or even a perceived problem shows itself. Anyway, don't fret about it, you've got good oil pressure & shouldn't have any problems.

BTW, a good WOT run every once in a while is a good thing for the engine. It blows everything out, & that motor in particular needs that on occasion. It's a grumpy motor that likes to be run hard. :)

At 150 hours on the engine.....it is still burning nearly a quart every 10 hours. Cry.gif It runs great and I really don't think they will offer up any more assistance at this point in time. I hope the new engines have less problems than the HH. I love the motor, but would not buy one again if given the chance.

If you go th Indmars web site and look at the tab"product line" you will find PDF for 2003 and up owners manual. It clearly states on page Appendix A that for the 6.2L 383 hammerhead that you use 40W Marine Oil. I have had no problem with my 2006. It does have a low reading at idle, but goes to 40-45 when pulling. On page Appendix B it also states a 4psi at idle (hot).

thanks in advance

Try running it with less oil (one quart low) what you are describing happens when too much oil is in the crank case and it starts to foam up which causes the drop in pressure. You are better to run with too little oil than too much and use the recommended weight, also, check your oil level on the water.

jkendallmsce
What year is your boat?

For clarification, no it isn't. It changed in '05, prior to that it was a completely different engine. '05-'09 was 383 ci, prior to that it was 350 ci with completely different specs & problems that went with it. That was the reason for his question.

What year did Malibu put the Hammerhead in their boats? I thought 2005 was the first year for the HH? Goes to show you, you never know it all!!

thanks in advance

Try running it with less oil (one quart low) what you are describing happens when too much oil is in the crank case and it starts to foam up which causes the drop in pressure. You are better to run with too little oil than too much and use the recommended weight, also, check your oil level on the water.

That is exactly opposite of what I have to do. If the oil level gets 1/2 quart low, it shows low oil pressure consistently. If I keep it at the new level as suggested by Indmar, I no longer get the alarm and low oil pressure.

thanks in advance

I

They want me to run Valvoline VR1 racing oil. It is not synthetic. Yes it is thick and slow to fill the crankcase with!

+1 Here.... We've done two oil changes so far and no issues so far.....

jkendallmsce
I have the 07 Hammerhead. Ran it hard from the get go. Burns no oil and at idle the oil pressure runs 14-15

I have good oil pressure at idle also. 5 minutes after that 30 second WOT run, the oil pressure returned to its normal operating range, which for this engine is 15-20 psi at idle.

It is not the idle I am concerned about. It is the short time frame after WOT that I am concerned about.

You should have a min 10 psi for every 1000 rpm you are running.

The only thing I can think of is the high RPM run put all the oil up in the engine and ran the sump dry, but your already running an extra quart so... Dontknow.gif

This is a Looong shot but if it happens every time maybe you dropped the oil pick up off the pump, it's happened before on hi performance small block Chevy's with pressed in pick up tubes. Thats why hot rodders weld or braze the tube to the pump or bolt it to the windage tray.

What ever the case it is very strange and would concern me too. :unsure:

What year is your boat?

What year did Malibu put the Hammerhead in their boats? I thought 2005 was the first year for the HH? Goes to show you, you never know it all!!

This is Marketing 101, if you drastically change the product then you need to change the product's name. Malibu began putting an engine that they called the Hammerhead in their boats in 2001. It was a 350ci with 365 hp (similar to a ZZ3). In 2003 it went to 375hp, & in 2004 it was 385. But from '01-'04, it was basically the same engine. In '05 they went to the Stroker, which was the 383ci (a stroked 350ci) - a very different engine through & through. Why Malibu stayed with the same name....I'll never know, but it sheer stupidity if you ask me. The confusion that it's created has been impressive to say the least.

What year is your boat?

This is Marketing 101, if you drastically change the product then you need to change the product's name. Malibu began putting an engine that they called the Hammerhead in their boats in 2001. It was a 350ci with 365 hp (similar to a ZZ3). In 2003 it went to 375hp, & in 2004 it was 385. But from '01-'04, it was basically the same engine. In '05 they went to the Stroker, which was the 383ci (a stroked 350ci) - a very different engine through & through. Why Malibu stayed with the same name....I'll never know, but it sheer stupidity if you ask me. The confusion that it's created has been impressive to say the least.

Wow, I thought it was a stroker since 2003 :unsure:

jkendallmsce
What year is your boat?

Now I am confused. I had 1998 Response LX, with the monsoon. I think is was 325 hp for that year. Somethings I like better about that boat than my 2007...and it cost half as much!! SO for 2001, Malibu had both the monsoon and the hammerhead? ANd both were 5.7 L? Was that what Malibu called the Corvette engine? The engine they put in all the corvette boats??

I am now wishing I had stayed with the monsoon. It is bullet proof and PROVEN. I guess since the stroke is increased, the HH has a wimpy hole shot when compared to the monsoon. And all that added HP/TQ does practically nothing for the top end speed.

I thought the HH came out in 2005 and was always 383 ci. Thanks for correcting me.