Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Temperature gauge

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about my temperature gauge. I was houseboating last week and I noticed that the temp gauge was stuck at just under 160, it is in a display that also includes the fuel, oil pressure and volts, all 3 of those work fine. Thanks for your help.

at the rear of your engine, there is a plastic looking box (i think it is on an '01 anyway, that is where it is in an '00), it is in there.

Cannon plug is the connector between boat and engine wiring. Located at rear of drivers side cylinder head. Mark it before pulling apart as Electricjohn has advised it is not keyed. When you say that the temp gauge is stuck at 160, does it stay at 160 with key off? Does it zero out when key turned off and jump to 160 as soon as key turned on? Or does it start out at zero and won't climb past 160 as engine warms up and if so, what was water temp you were boating in? What engine?

Skier92,

It stays at 160 all the time, key on, key off, going hard or idling, it never moves. Water we were in was 68 degrees according to my water temp gauge. Engine is the 325 hp monsoon.

Thanks

Pull the wire for the temp gauge off the engine. If the gauge moves, your temp sensor is faulty. If it doesn't, the problem is with the wiring or gauges.

BTW, the wire that you are looking for is a single (usually tan) wire going to the sensor on the front of the engine (not the one with 2 wires on top of the engine).

It's a starting point, anyway.

I took the wire off the sensor and grounded it, the gauge never moved. Does anyone know how to remove the gauge, is it a simple process. thanks

I don't know if a lack of any ground would leave the temp gauge in the 160 position, but if the problem were an open circuit due to bad connection in the cannon plug, grounding the temp sending wire would have no effect. Pull cannon plug apart and repeat ground test with test lead from boat side of plug to ground. As for gauge removal, remove four face screws from dash panel, pull panel outward. Gauge bracket should be accessible.