Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 vRide Electrical Issue

The Voodoo Cowboy

Hey All,

Well i've encountered my first real issue with my Bu and it's starting to kick my butt. We were house boating at Shasta over the past weekend and on the last morning we were there I fired up the boat and went to fill my ballast tanks and the switches were dead. I then proceeded to check all of the other switches on the panels and they were all dead from the horn to the blower. I checked all the breakers on the panel and none of them were tripped. I checked the main breaker mounted on the engine and it was fine as well. I then pulled off the breaker panel to check the tightness of the power connection and it was snug as can be. I pulled both switch panels off and didn't see any loose connections or anything that appeared to be abnormal. I then checked the battery terminal connections for tightness and made sure they are corrosion free. I've also checked the connections on the 2 leads for my Perko switch and made sure that the breaker was not tripped there as well. I've swapped the batteries around and still nothing. Am I missing anything? Is there an actual fuse buss located somewhere that I've overlooked? I'm stumped at this point Dontknow.gif The only thing my boat will do is start up and play the stereo.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey All,

Well i've encountered my first real issue with my Bu and it's starting to kick my butt. We were house boating at Shasta over the past weekend and on the last morning we were there I fired up the boat and went to fill my ballast tanks and the switches were dead. I then proceeded to check all of the other switches on the panels and they were all dead from the horn to the blower. I checked all the breakers on the panel and none of them were tripped. I checked the main breaker mounted on the engine and it was fine as well. I then pulled off the breaker panel to check the tightness of the power connection and it was snug as can be. I pulled both switch panels off and didn't see any loose connections or anything that appeared to be abnormal. I then checked the battery terminal connections for tightness and made sure they are corrosion free. I've also checked the connections on the 2 leads for my Perko switch and made sure that the breaker was not tripped there as well. I've swapped the batteries around and still nothing. Am I missing anything? Is there an actual fuse buss located somewhere that I've overlooked? I'm stumped at this point Dontknow.gif The only thing my boat will do is start up and play the stereo.

Using a test light I was able to trace out the cause of this issue. I had power all the way to the breaker panel and from the breakers to the dash switches. Seemed odd that the wires were hot but not the switches. I then started tracing out grounds and had none whatsoever. I started moving wire bundles around from behind the dash and found that the main ground wire that supplies all the grounds at the distibution block was disconnected. The nut had vibrated off and the cable had fallen off the post. So I threw a star washer and a nyloc nut on there and it's good to go. Problem solved. Hopefully this may help someone else in the future if they have a similar issue.

Good job. So where is the "main ground wire"? Under the dash? Are all the grounds tied into the same place?

Yeah the main grounding block is tucked way up under the dash. All grounds are distributed from there. Kind of a pain to locate with all the wires in the way.