Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1996 Malibu Sunsetter LXI

randykyra

Hey guys and gals,

Can anyone give me some insight into this boat? I’ve found one locally and I’m thinking about upgrade from our 94 Maxum 1800SR2 to this boat. We mainly tube right now but have an interest in wakeboarding, wakesurfing and skiing. I’ve been told by Malibu it’s rated for 10 people (we really need the room for 10). How is this boat in rough water? I have small kids that are just getting started in water sports and the ride in rough water is important. Is there another boat I should consider if this one won’t meet my needs? Any info would be appreciated?

Oh, I'm looking in the $12900 range.

Dontknow.gif

Edited by randykyra
martinarcher

My uncle has a 99' Sunsetter LXI and it is a great all around watersports boat. They wakeboard, kneeboard, barefoot, tube, kneeboard, etc off it. They have seen us surfing and are interested in trying it. If I can surf behind my boat you can certainly surf behind his. Does it have a wedge? If not you can always add one which will help with the surf/wakeboard wake.

I would recommend it as a great upgrade from you current boat.

If it's a '96, it's an LX not an LXi. That's a subtle, but very important difference & you may want to confirm the year & model to be sure.

With that said & assuming that it's an LX, it's a great entry level inboard that will work well at an intermediate level for what you describe. I have my doubts at how comfortable it will be for 10 people though, & if at all possible I'd try to stretch to a VLX from the same year. If you take that many people out very often, you'll thank yourself for it.

As far as the ride, you need to test it yourself. Coming from an i/o almost any inboard is going to feel harsh, but Malibu (especially from that era) does as good a job as any at that.

First just to clarify the Sunsetter LXI was first offered in ’99. With that said after owning one for 8 years it was a superb crossover boat. It’ll provide excellent wakes for slalom and good to intermediate wakes for wakeboarding with the wedge. Fitting 10 people for a long day will be arduous at best. I found 6 for a long day was much more manageable, 10 in my VLX all day would be tight as well. The rear trunk provides 18 cu.ft. of storage space. We fit all wet gear (two wakeboards and a ski). The front starboard side has a small cooler (doesn’t keep ice cold for long) but nevertheless provides a great place for food w/o taking up floor space.

The ride for a boat that provides a great slalom wake does well in moderately rough water, but if you’re in a huge open area w/ 3’ swells this isn’t the boat for you. Doubtful you'll find a SLXI in that price range if you did, walk away.

The SLX on the other hand was built in '96 and can be had for that price. It's still a good crossover boat but not being on the diamond hull the wake for slalom is bigger and harder. Storage is considerably less.

All I know is what the guy told me today. he said it was a 1996 Sunsetter LXI. I've seen it twice and All I remembered was it was a Sunsetter. I couldn't remember if it was a LX or a LXI so I called him today and he said a LXI. Here's a picture.

malibu.jpg

Yes, I know the trailer is blocking part of the lettering. Can anyone tell for sure what it is (LX LXI)?

That's not an LXi. You can tell by the missing 8" or so 'step-out' at the rear of the boat at the water line, which gives the LXi the huge trunk you will hear people talk about. That LX is on a totally different hull than the LXi (wake hull vs diamond hull)

Good looking boat, though.

Edited by rts

I would make sure you check it out throughly, The Sunsetter LX is a solid used boat. But I would be nervous about buying a boat from a guy that doesn't know what kind of boat he has.

My first Malibu was a 1995 Sunsetter and I absolutely loved it. It had an excellent resale value for me when I eventually upgraded. Good luck, you've picked a fantastic used boat.

So, just for clarification, can anyone post a pic from a similar angle for an LXi? I'm guessing the, SLX, SLXi or a Response will be my next boat, so I would be interested to see how they compare. Sometimes you find a deal that you can't let go, (especially with the weird things selling in this economy) and having that info ahead of time would be great.

10 people is not going to be fun if your going out all day. A 21ft VLX or even better and 23ft LSV would be a much better fit, but also cost a ton more. In our SSLXi I didn't like being on the lake all day with more then 6 or 7 people otherwise everyone was too cramped and always stepping over each other. I look at it this way. 3 can comfortably sit on the rear bench + the driver + one person on the observers seat + 2 in the bow. Anymore then that and someone is going to be squished.

The Sunsetter Lx will produce a better wakeboarding and surfing wake if you load it up with ballast (or 10 people). The LXi will be a better ski boat and provide more storage space. Both are really great boats!

I have a '98 Sunsetter LX, and I've have 8 adults in it and no one complained (I guess if they did I could have put them back on the dock!). This is the first inboad boat I have owned, but I really like it!

Good luck in your search.

I would make sure you check it out throughly, The Sunsetter LX is a solid used boat. But I would be nervous about buying a boat from a guy that doesn't know what kind of boat he has.

Agreed, if he doesn’t even know what the boat is he may tell you anything you want to hear. If he does know it’s an LX than he’ll be smok’in you about other things to.

I think I would keep shopping.

Edited by WakingMeHappy

Don't forget, the LXi also has the coveted rear trunk; something the LX does not have.

Hull (wake) and trunk are main reasons I held out trading in my Euro F3 until I could swing an early model SLXi.

Love my SLXi!

Here's one from a boat for sale on onlyinboards.com.

Sunsetter LXi

Edited to a picture that better matches the angle

Thanks, that's a great comparison.

I agree with other comments about a V-drive, we were out all last weekend in a 23'LSV, 4 boys 3 guys, room to spare. Could have easily gotten 3 or 4 more and not be squished. The same group has been in the Echelon LX for years, and it got a bit cramped. Although I would guess there is more beam than my '94, anything more than 8 would be a long day.

Also, randykyra mentioned tubing. If you still want to do that with that many people in the boat, you need a V-drive. Otherwise the pylon is in the middle of the boat and seating in the large rear seat is not possible because the rope will be hitting the occupants.

Thanks guys,

A lot of good info and things to think about. I really would like the room so a V-Drive maybe what I need and I've started to look for. I was out last week with 13 people and had to move to pontoon boat. My little maxum 1800SR2 is rated for 7. On a regular basis we have about 8 and at times have as many as 13. I'm holding off until the end of the season when the prices come down a little and maybe I can find a good boat at the right price. Whistling.gif

Looks like a nice boat but a little far to travel. I really like the V-drive stuff but not sure my budget will get me there. I really need it to be rated for 10 people and everything I'm finding in my budget is Direct Drive and seat about 8. Anyone have a suggestion?

Let me be a little clearer. I need room for 5-6 adults and 4-5 kids (Ages 3-9). So when I say 10 at least half will be small kids.

Edited by randykyra

You're a bit far out on your budget then. Personally I would either downsize your crew, go halfs with someone else in a better boat or keep saving.

10 in a VLX is too cramped for me. 10 in a DD would drive me crazy.

You're a bit far out on your budget then. Personally I would either downsize your crew, go halfs with someone else in a better boat or keep saving.

10 in a VLX is too cramped for me. 10 in a DD would drive me crazy.

Interesting thoughts, but I'll keep looking. I may have to increase my budget, I agree. But the season is coming to an end and I'm willing to travel to get the right boat. So, I figure time is on my side. Hey, I can always keep the maxum for another season. It's served us well so far and we've enjoyed it. But my guess is I'll find something. I may have to move to another brand but I won't stray far. Whistling.gif

Well guys I came across a insane deal on a 2001 Mastercraft 230vrs. I'm getting ready to buy the boat. I'll post pic's and details after I pick it up. You won't believe the deal. But I'll stop for now and post more soon. Yahoo.gifClap.gif

Edited by randykyra