Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Snap Out Carpeting. Would you?

scottserena

Ordering a 2010 23 LSV next week. I am so pumped. The more I look at the new tower the more I like it.

QUESTION:

What you think of the snap out carpet option? Most other manufacturers (Mastercraft, Tige, Natique) this is pretty much standard. I am not sure which way to go.

On one hand it seems cool to be able to take the carpet out and wash it down. And if it ever gets stained to be able to order a new kit (no idea how much). I also kind of like the way it looks.

The other brands do not have carpeting on the uprights of the seats, it appears Malibu still will.

The the other hand, does crap just get trapped underneath? Does the carpet shrink in the heat?

Which way would you order?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottserena

• WakeGirl

• shade

• 68Slalom

I would definitely go for the snap out carpet. This has been one of my biggest complaints about my 2007 WS. In fact, I wish Malibu would get rid of the carpet above the fiberglass floor and just fiberglass all the way up to the seat bottom. This would make clean up so much easier. With fiberglass all the way up to the seat bottom and a few drain holes in the floor all you would have to do is hose it off and wipe it dry. Also there would be no more wet, stinky carpet when a wave comes over the bow (not that that ever happens when I'm driving). If I had the snap out carpet I would probably leave it out until it was time to sell, unless the fiberglass floor got too hot under foot. It doesn't seem to get too hot on my buddies MC X2 and his is black, but he also has the big Z5 bimini top which casts a big shadow.

BTW, the MC X2 w/ the SS package is by far the way to go as far as cleanup. I wish Malibu had this setup available. Snap out carpet, 3 drain holes, and a 5-10 gal fresh water holding tank w/ Jabsco water pump and garden hose w/ nozzle on board for cleaning the boat at the lake.

JM2C

Edited by shade
I would consider snap out to be a step down from the Malibu luxury look and feel. No way.

That luxurious look and feel of carpet is already starting to wane in my VERY meticulously maintianed 2007 WS.

I've never had any problems with the carpet getting too wet or stinky. In 2 yrs I've only pulled my insert out one time to vacuum under.... only because I felt like I should.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I would disagree that the snap out carpet isn't as luxurious. I'm quite certain that it's MUCH more expensive to produce a "finished" floor than a carpeted one. Outside of the ski boat world, all high end boats have gelcoat floors, although a few I've been in have Pirelli flooring. The gel cleans much easier and doesn't wear out.

I've not been in any Cigarette with carpet in the helm area. Just my $0.02

had a chaparral with snap in carpet, i though it looked cheap. and with the bu it if get dirty i just take my home floor carpet cleaner use the hand attachment. works very nice and not that hard to do.

Edited by kentjina

Having the snap-out carpet (in my opinion) gives the boat a cheap run-about kind of feel. I personally think that the quality feel and finish of the malibu's would suffer greatly with fiberglass flooring - especially if it were fiberglass all the way up to the seat bottoms.

i dont know - I don't have too much of a problem keeping my carpet cleam - and when it does need cleaning, a little hand-held carpet cleaner does the trick nicely.

I would definitely go for the snap out carpet. This has been one of my biggest complaints about my 2007 WS. In fact, I wish Malibu would get rid of the carpet above the fiberglass floor and just fiberglass all the way up to the seat bottom. This would make clean up so much easier. With fiberglass all the way up to the seat bottom and a few drain holes in the floor all you would have to do is hose it off and wipe it dry. Also there would be no more wet, stinky carpet when a wave comes over the bow (not that that ever happens when I'm driving). If I had the snap out carpet I would probably leave it out until it was time to sell, unless the fiberglass floor got too hot under foot. It doesn't seem to get too hot on my buddies MC X2 and his is black, but he also has the big Z5 bimini top which casts a big shadow.

BTW, the MC X2 w/ the SS package is by far the way to go as far as cleanup. I wish Malibu had this setup available. Snap out carpet, 3 drain holes, and a 5-10 gal fresh water holding tank w/ Jabsco water pump and garden hose w/ nozzle on board for cleaning the boat at the lake.

JM2C

That is pretty cool, wonder why Malibu didn't do something like this Whistling.gif

JM2C

That is pretty cool, wonder why Malibu didn't do something like this Whistling.gif

Its really cool. I think it is only available on the MC Saltwater Series.

Had it in an old I/O and was never removed. But we keep our boats in a boathouse on the water all year which may make a difference. We have a built in vacuum over each boat so clean up is pretty quick. So I guess I would not go out of my way to order the option, but nice to know there is an option.

The only drawback to snap out carpet was about storing it in the garage/house during the winter. When they went to put it back in the boat the following spring they found the carpet had shrunk. Though the shrinkage was very little, it was just enough to keep the snaps from fitting in place.

Ahh! Wall 2 Wall carpet. Kinda like wall 2 wall deep shag in a 1972 Econoline! Groovy!

But seriously. I love my boat and I take very good care of it. I make sure the carpet is clean and dry as much as possible (the boat is stored inside). But kids get food crumbs and water in the boat all the time and I'm probably a little too anal about that. We bought a wakeboard boat to use for watersports, not for wine and cheese parties so I'm looking more for functionality than luxury. And I don't want to have to spend a lot of time cleaning the boat either. I wan't more time on the water and less time cleaning. If I were that concerned about luxury, I probably wouldn't care if my boat had ballast or a power wedge. I would be more interested in the wine rack and masters quarters.

We use our boat alot and when you pay $50-90K for a boat I expect the kind of quality that will hold up for a long time. I think that most people who buy a Malibu use their boats alot because most people can't justify that kind of money for a once a month toy. I just don't think you can expect to get that kind of longevity out of carpet. After 10 years my carpet isn't going to be too luxurious no mater how well I take care of it.

How many people put carpet in their kitchens? Not many, because its a high traffic area that gets worn and dirty quickly just like the inside of a boat. I can't justify trading up every 2 years for new boat so I want something that is going to still look good after 10 years.

My point is, these are watersports boats not luxury liners so I'll take the snap out carpet anyday.

The only drawback to snap out carpet was about storing it in the garage/house during the winter. When they went to put it back in the boat the following spring they found the carpet had shrunk. Though the shrinkage was very little, it was just enough to keep the snaps from fitting in place.

This is true, my carpet saver has shrunk. Thats why I would just leave the snap in carpet out until I was ready to sell. Then you have brand new carpet to please the eye of the buyer. It may be enough to seal the deal especially if the buyer is comparing your boat with another.

I wish our rear lockers had snap out carpet. When we wakesurf, the surf side locker gets pretty wet and then it is a lot of effort to get it dry so we don't get a musty smell in there. I think snap out carpet is a great idea that is long over due.

Snap-Out Carpet is Great, pull it out, hit it with some soap and high pressre sprayer and it looks like new again. No more, I wonder if that is going to come out and always looking dingy. When we get ready to sell I will simply buy a new carpet for a fresh look. Cleaning up is a snap without vertical carpet, wipe down the inside of the boat just like the outside.

I wish our rear lockers had snap out carpet. When we wakesurf, the surf side locker gets pretty wet and then it is a lot of effort to get it dry so we don't get a musty smell in there. I think snap out carpet is a great idea that is long over due.

Now that is something i would go for. I think snap in carpet for the crew area is a baaad idea, not sure what everyone is doing on the lake but mine doesnt get that dirty, only time mine gets dirty is if we go to the lake with the sand bar on it. but the snap in for the lockers would be great, for surfing and for all the wallys that keep putting their soaked jackets and towels back there instead of in the tub on top of the engine (drives me crazy!!)

Option shmoption. Silly stuff. Snap-in carpet is easier to do for the mfr than wall to wall. It's better looking and more useful in my opinion, easier to replace, etc., etc.,. Go to a boat show and board a million dollar express cruiser like a Sea Ray 48' Sundancer...and they have snap in carpet. Very luxurious rich-looking snap in carpet. The part that is possibly more expensive to manufacture is making the fiberglass floor look nice with a diamond non-skid or something. Totally think snap-in at this point is about as advanced as getting your first cell phone. Jump both feet in to the '90's and go with the snap-in.

Ordering a 2010 23 LSV next week. I am so pumped. The more I look at the new tower the more I like it.

QUESTION:

What you think of the snap out carpet option? Most other manufacturers (Mastercraft, Tige, Natique) this is pretty much standard. I am not sure which way to go.

On one hand it seems cool to be able to take the carpet out and wash it down. And if it ever gets stained to be able to order a new kit (no idea how much). I also kind of like the way it looks.

The other brands do not have carpeting on the uprights of the seats, it appears Malibu still will.

The the other hand, does crap just get trapped underneath? Does the carpet shrink in the heat?

Which way would you order?

Nope, not a chance. I think the exposed gel between the seats and the carpeting looks cheap and reminds me a Glastron/Larson class I/O.

Add a couple of rod holders in the gunwhales and you're all set. Tease2.gif

If the malibu had fiberglass on the vertical surfaces of the seat bases, this would be a no brainer. But without that not sure if this is a big advantage like in other brands.

I am thinking about ordering it with the snap out carpet, and if I dont like it, I could always have it switched to the "wall to wall". But if I order the "wall to wall" it could not switch to the snap out.

I am in Lake Havasu this weekend looking at all the Elimantors, Magic, Conquest, Etc at the docks. ALL have the snap out carpets. Some people don't have the carpets in at all. Some that did have the carpets in, had major dirt & funk around the edges of the carpet.

Why does malibu have to carpet the sea bases, when all the other brands don't?