Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at buying a 1999 Sunsetter

ryanmt

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and inboards in general, but have spent more hours than I can count on water, so not new to boats.

Was looking at this boat - http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/1253362998.html

I priced it on NADA and he's asking 1-2k more than NADA says for avg retail.

I don't know the difference between the sunsetter models besides an V, which this boat is not, its a DD. Can somebody clear up the model differences?

Can anybody tell me what they think of this deal, and boat in general?

I'm a beginner boarder that occasionally skates, don't ski or slalom. I've never boarded behind an inboard, only i/o's like a 202 crownline. How's the wake going to compare to the crownline, if i don't get ballast? I don't like the idea of tripping over bags on the floor and such, and it'd be a while before i got a ballast system i think. If i read correctly, the 1999 and 2000 sunsetter had the same hull as a newer wakesetter. But, what does that mean? Good, bad, awesome, what?

Thanks for any help...

Ryan

Sunsetter LX/Sunkicker/Wakekicker/Wakesetter direct drive ('03'-04)/I-Ride = all on the same hull. That's a Sunsetter LX, it will have the SV23 hull, which they're not producing anymore. Price is high IMO.

It will have a good intermediate wakeboarding wake, & will be just fine for you for a few years. The cost for a boat like that (provided that you buy it right to begin with) will be such that you won't lose that much when you go to upgrade to a vdrive. If you can stretch a little, you can get into a '96-'99 VLX for the same type of money that he's asking. But again, he's high on his asking price IMO.

So I won't need to add ballast and still have a decent wake to do w2w? I've just had a little harder time finding a vdrive for the same price range. I don't think I want his ballast. Wonder if he'll take about 1.5k off the price.... That's about what its worth.

I just recently bought mine locally from a dealer. It had almost 300hrs. Immaculate boat. I paid High blue book and would have paid even a little more if needed. Excellent boat for skiing, footing, and adding ballast is easy to make great wake board and surf wakes. I paid $15,500. I think NADA is around $11,000-$16,000. That Price is a bit high. Depends on what else is available and how badly you want it. No double axle trailer could be used to reduce a little. Condition of covers and biminis if any. Carpet, seats, gauges. To me for that price everything has to be utmost perfect.

good luck to ya

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Jojano specifically, because I can site somebody now that got the same boat from a dealer w/ less hours for 15,5...

The VLX, that guy has the exact same board I have, lol. I'm a little hesitant about that many hours, though.. Anybody know how much an engine rebuild costs (to have someone else do it)? The way I grew up on all our boats, anything over 500 hours was a lot, though I don't know if them being i/o's makes a difference...

The VLX, that guy has the exact same board I have, lol. I'm a little hesitant about that many hours, though.. Anybody know how much an engine rebuild costs (to have someone else do it)? The way I grew up on all our boats, anything over 500 hours was a lot, though I don't know if them being i/o's makes a difference...

500 hours is nothing on these boats.

I guess the way I looked at it is 300 hours on a boat does not equal 300 hrs on a car, since you're probably spending more time at a lower RPM in your car, you know? Between these two boats, they both have monsoon, looks like same tower and same bimini, the only real difference is v drive or DD, hours, and maybe the ballast.

I guess the way I looked at it is 300 hours on a boat does not equal 300 hrs on a car, since you're probably spending more time at a lower RPM in your car, you know? Between these two boats, they both have monsoon, looks like same tower and same bimini, the only real difference is v drive or DD, hours, and maybe the ballast.

If you have ANY interest in adding ballast, get a v-drive. Most likely you will want a bigger wake at some point and you will be dealing with sacks all over the floor. It's a PITA, looks bad, and takes up all the room. Have you thought about surfing much? You can't really do that without ballast...and lots of it!

I'm sure in Ryans case as was in mine and most others looking, location is very helpful. Oklahoma is no hop skip and jump from any of those boats. Which looks to be his location. I was very lucky to have a malibu dealer just miles from me with a constant flow of new and used boats. Including the high volume of private sales. You should be able to get that Sunsetter price lower.

Yeah, that's correct. Moved from Austin to OKC for work. Jojano, do you ever board behind your boat? Is there any place to hide some ballast? I clicked on the VLX's wakesiderides profile, and he has it for sale there for 14k, dunno if that's true or not though. For 14k, i'd definitely consider that vlx, including the drive to go get =\, as long as the interior looked alright and it ran good w/o excessive water in the bilge (concern of mine). I just wish I had an idea how much an engine rebuild would cost.

Don't forget in the long run you get what you pay for. If you plan to keep a boat for a year or two hrs don't really matter but if you plan on keeping it for more than five years or longer price is less of an issue (pay more)and hrs are very important.

Here are a couple closer

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Mal...se--LX-94930827

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-TIG...dition-95279512

And I'm sure all dealers prices are negotiable.

I'm not too keen on spending 20k for an older boat. Plus, I really like the open bow instead of the playpen. At least, that's what that response looks like, if I'm looking at it right. Tower is pretty important to me as well. I've never actually dealt w/ a dealer, how much do dealers actually come off of a price? I appreciate your searches though, thanks :)

I agree with you thats why they're still for sale, the prices are way to high. Any comp. boat thats around 10 yrs. should be worth only $12,000 anyways. I remember in the early 80's when comp boats where starting to grow brand new "fully loaded" malibus were $12,000. Inflation sucks.

That's a good boat. I've got the 1999 Sunsetter LXi which is close but has the storage trunk in the back. I have the MLS center ballast and a wedge. Compared to today's wakeboarding boats, it won't make the huge peaky wakes, but we've had TONS of fun behind it. I've got 550 hours on my engine - which is the same. I've got an offer on mine for trade in at $15,000 with a dealer. I would expect to get $17k on direct sale. It does not have the tower - I use a fly-high.

I couldn't be happier with the Malibu - but you do need to think about that single axle trailer. The boat weighs over 3000 lbs, and depending on the load rating on the tire - you can have blowouts. The tires are right at max load. use load range E tires, and put new ones on every other year no matter what the tread looks like. I've had 6 blowouts in 10 years. It's right at the edge of needing a tandem axle trailer. Depending on how far you have to tow - you should consider this.

Emailed the guy w/ the VLX, still waiting for reply.

Lemme ask you guys this: what would be the best way to approach his price to him(guy w/ sunsetter for 18k)? Email or phone? I have the NADA value page copied and ready to email him if I want, plus the dealer price for the same boat loaded (thanks Jojano). Any opinions?

*edited to clear up any confusion

Edited by ryanmt
Emailed the guy w/ the VLX, still waiting for reply.

Lemme ask you guys this: what would be the best way to approach his price to him(guy w/ sunsetter for 18k)? Email or phone? I have the NADA value page copied and ready to email him if I want, plus the dealer price for the same boat loaded (thanks Jojano). Any opinions?

*edited to clear up any confusion

Just tell him you like the boat but it's a bit high from what you have researched and ask how flexible he is. If he is flexible go from there. If not, his boat will most likely still be around at the end of the summer and maybe you can get a great deal then.

Yikes. That's kind of scary regarding the trailer. Its a good hour and a half from me. Anybody know a good place to get a trailer? And what kind of price am I looking at for a dual axle trailer?

If you want to pay as little as possible for as much as possible - there's never been a better time than right now. I'm tremendously frugal, and enjoy the hunt for ridiculously awesome deals.

You asked the best way to approach the seller? I'm pretty good at this stuff, and I never discuss price except in person. Decide what you want, find it, take exactly the max you want to pay in $100 bills. Go through all of the inspections, tests, test ride, put it through its paces, spend time making sure everything is good, then take out all the cash except $500. Lay it on the table and tell the seller that's your offer. Don't say a number - have the seller count it. Have him handle the money, touch it, count it, make it real. If he negotiates up skillfully, pull out more money until everything is on the table. If seller negotiates up from there...explain that all of the money that you have is already on the table. "One of us is taking it home - you or me". "Can I leave this money here and take your boat home?" Then close your mouth...don't say anything at all. You've posed a complete 'yes' or 'no' question. No other answer, no stuttering, no negotiating is left. Be ready to pick up the money and go home.

There are so many boats and so few buyers. Just find one that wants cash more than their boat. This board is full of people who value their boats more than the money this market would bear if they sold. So when you read things like...I'd never consider selling my boat for $xx,xxx - that's great - and a really good thing you're not in front of them trying to buy. Just because the enthusiasts here won't sell their boats for a steal of a price - doesn't mean anything regarding the market.

Boats aren't worth NADA right now. On rare occasion, someone with a really nice boat will find someone who will pay a high price, but it's not the current market norm. Supply and demand is wwwaaayyy over to the buyer's market side.

From what I can see on selling sites - I'd set my sites on a 1999 Sunsetter in great shape with tower for around $15k. That one may be a really nice one - but I still would challenge myself to see if I could get it for less than 165 one hundred dollar bills. That's just me though - and some call me cheap. I get what I want though. Just my $.05

I bought my 99 Sunsetter 3+ years ago and it currently has 550+ hours on it. I don't have ballest but the wake is pretty good with the wedge. To date I have replaced the starter and battery. We have been VERY happy with this boat. I've had it up to 47mph with a little throttle left and it runs great.

If you make this guy an offer go low. Like 14k and then haggle from there. You never know what he'll accept until you ask. Of course, if he's a member on this forum you're sunk. Whistling.gif Maybe he has gear you want he'll throw in the deal.

I couldn't be happier with the Malibu - but you do need to think about that single axle trailer. The boat weighs over 3000 lbs, and depending on the load rating on the tire - you can have blowouts. The tires are right at max load. use load range E tires, and put new ones on every other year no matter what the tread looks like. I've had 6 blowouts in 10 years. It's right at the edge of needing a tandem axle trailer. Depending on how far you have to tow - you should consider this.

I wouldn't have an issue with the single axle trailer. My sunsetter weighs 2800 lbs plus 800 lbs for the s/a trailer plus 400 lbs for gas, gear, etc. This brings the total to 4000 lbs. I run load range D tires which are rated at 2540 each. This gives an extra 1000 lbs of tire capacity. It is very important to keep the air pressure that the maximum load pressure which for my tires are 65 psi. I also tow a fair amount, about 1500 miles in the first half of this summer.

As far as the sunsetter, i have been very happy with mine and would highly recommend it. I bought mine with 280 hrs. This is my third summer, and she just turned 500 hrs. I have the carbed motor and wouldn't have any concerns over that either. Other than oil changes and winterization, the only thing I needed to do was replace the steering cable, which was about an hour job. I would also highly recommend the wedge if you go with the direct drive. IMO it really helps firm and steepen the wake, and you can get away with less ballast when you decide its time to add ballast.

We had a 99 wakesetter VLX with 900 hours on it. It was turn key for 9 years. I put on a ballast system in it. It was a great boat. We sold it last year and bought a brand new 08 VLX. Wish we had kept the 99. I can't see the $40 grand difference.