Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Bunk Help

Guys, I don't know who made my trailer but I can see why they are out of business. I am going to replace the bunks in a couple weeks. They are totally rotted away. Heres the delima if you look at where the intake scupper is, it hits the end of the inside bunk. If I were to remove about 42" of the inside bunks (cut end support and bunk) I could move the boat farther on the trailer and not worry about the scupper hitting the bunk. Doing this I would shim the front bunks so that they hold the boat. Will the boat still be supported enough. The outer bunks are about 8ft long. The inner bunks are about the same.

Here are some pictures. In the pictures the boat is sitting off center on the trailer.

http://s555.photobucket.com/albums/jj456/L...ailer%20Issues/

Doesn't look like the right trailer for the boat

What are you trying to solve here - the intake striking the bunk? Just trim the corner off (45deg) that bunk when you re-carpet it. Seems like a super minor problem. Why would you want to move the boat forward? That seems like it would cause lots of problems, and put too much weight on the hitch? Plus, I don't understand why moving it forward would solve your issue with the intake hitting that inner bunk.

Maybe I'm missing the issue :unsure:

On the name plate it says Sunsetter VLX. It was make in 95. I have a 96 Sunsetter VlX. It defanilty looks like the wrong trailer!!

I was thinking about moving it forward to fit in the garage better and less over hang off the tralier. The boat would have to move about 3-4 inches back farther then I could 45 degree the bunk and the intake would never hit the bunk. Doing that makes the boat hang over 12" inches. Is that too much?

Not sure what to do. I was looking for options.

Doesn't look like the right trailer for the boat

What are you trying to solve here - the intake striking the bunk? Just trim the corner off (45deg) that bunk when you re-carpet it. Seems like a super minor problem. Why would you want to move the boat forward? That seems like it would cause lots of problems, and put too much weight on the hitch? Plus, I don't understand why moving it forward would solve your issue with the intake hitting that inner bunk.

Maybe I'm missing the issue :unsure:

hmm...something does look off in pix #5.

I see what you mean about the intake being close to the bunk; extending it back and rounding or 45-ing the corner should work.

If your bunks are rotted replace with pressure treated and you'll never have to worry about it. With galvy hardware and new carpet (if needed) it's a relatively inexpensive repair.

I'd take a closer look at the fitment, or have a fabricator look at it... I've seen some funky trailers out there, like my POS '87 Shoreline (long out of business) with the v-block placed so it broke the nose rub-rail during launch, and the under-rated springs (snapped twice) until I replaced the pair with 4000# springs from a local trailer supply place.

I did get 19 years out of my bunks (stored outside uncovered for 5 mo/year) before replacing with pt. The ends did rot off..

Yeah I will modify the front bunks so that they hold the boat. I am going to put new lumber carpet and SS carriage bolts for hardware. My biggest concern is the intake scupper hitting the new carpeted bunks.

I am a welding engineer so fabrication is my forte.

Edited by Lzy0k0

I replaced my bunks a few years back. I did some trailer mods that have worked out well.

1. I actaully moved my single axle toward the rear of the trailer. I wanted to increase the tongue weight to make the trailer handle better. I tow with a 9200# GVW Duramax to tow with. Now I can swerve the truck any which way and the trailer follows no matter what.

2. I made sure that my bunks extended fully to the rear of the boat transom. That way the bunks are supporting the boat at the transom which is a super strong spot as opposed to being short of the transom with the possibility of putting a "hook" in the boat bottom.

3. I moved the installed width of my bunks slightly closer together. This made it so that the boat centered better when driving her on. I have some bottom strakes and by moving my bunks inboard a little the boat has more tolerance for driver error. Your hull may be different.

4. I replaced my tires with some "D" load rating tires in the next larger size to give me overkill on capacity. Never had a flat, ever.

5. I repack my wheel bearings every 3rd year or so. I have never had a bearing failure in 37 years of owning trailer boats.