Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loses power

After about 3 miles of pulling tubers the engine starts to lose power and if you give it more gas it will backfire. I have changed the fuel filter but problem is still occuring. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It seems like people are having problems with dirt getting through the fuel filter and landing in the intake screen on the fuel pump. I just changed my fuel filter because of a hesitation problem and the screen was also dirty. Don't forget the basic tune-up parts cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

I just started having the same problem... Mine takes off fine with or without a boarder and has smooth acceleration, but after about 20-30 mins of running time, it starts to lose power and begins to run rough and hesitate. No backfiring going on, but it has me worried!!

Boat is a 04 VLX with the Monsoon 340 with 135 hours. I replaced the fuel filter when I dewinterized this year, but the boat had a full tank of gas with stabil in it. Do you guys think the filter could've gotten dirty again and is in need of another replacement because of the old gas??? The oil/filter, impeller, and fuel filter were changed at 78 hours and at the beginning of this season which was around 115 hours. Think it's time for a cap, rotor, and plugs??? Dontknow.gif

Taking it on a trip this weekend and will be boarding everyday, I need to get it running properly!!

These all sound like the same issue I had. There are 3 fuel filters, one by the tank, the screen before the fuel pump and also screens in the top of every injector. If any of these are clogged to the point to slowing fuel flow it will cause the engine to lose power.

These all sound like the same issue I had. There are 3 fuel filters, one by the tank, the screen before the fuel pump and also screens in the top of every injector. If any of these are clogged to the point to slowing fuel flow it will cause the engine to lose power.

So how do I clean the screens on the top of the injectors?? Screen before the fuel pump? This is my first v-drive so I don't really know where to be looking for these things... Dontknow.gif

The fuel pump is going to be on the drivers side of the motor. It is a silver canister there is a hose clamp on the bottom that needs to be loosen then take a wrench and unscrew the hard line. The filter is on the bottom where the fuel line went into the pump. Take a small flat head screw driver and pull that screen out. Thumbup.gif