Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buying help/suggestions for new 08 21 XTI

LURK19

First post hopefully a permanent member! Here is the the boat I going to look at tomorrow:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-MAL...21-XTi-91928308

Want to make sure this boat is right for us. I wakeboard only (forced my last boat an '89 nautique to do it w/tower & 2 fat sacks), wife is a newbie wakeboarder, daughters barely tube/attempted to ski so far. We do want to wakesurf at some point. I know this '08 xti will satisfy learning needs for the kids and wife. I want to make sure I'm not disappointed for wakeboarding (FYI never landed an inverted trick but would like to) and definately want to wakesurf.

Searched this forum had trouble finding info above I was looking for. What I do know from the forum: Since it is a new '08 I should be able to get upgrade to Malivue w/auto wedge. Which brings me to my 1st question: from the listing above it says "manual wedge" is that right for an '08? If so probably out of luck for the upgrade?

Any questions (for the dealer) or suggestions you have would be helpful?

ie: Ballast options, power wedge (if indeed it is manual wedge as listed), etc.

Thanks!!!!

You won't be able to put a power wedge on that boat if it's got a manual wedge on it. Once it's built that way, you don't get the option to change.

Is there a reason that you're wanting an XTi? Usually that's a crossover model for people that want to slalom. If you don't & if you want to surf, you really need to be looking at a VLX, JMO.

martinarcher
First post hopefully a permanent member! Here is the the boat I going to look at tomorrow:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-MAL...21-XTi-91928308

Want to make sure this boat is right for us. I wakeboard only (forced my last boat an '89 nautique to do it w/tower & 2 fat sacks), wife is a newbie wakeboarder, daughters barely tube/attempted to ski so far. We do want to wakesurf at some point. I know this '08 xti will satisfy learning needs for the kids and wife. I want to make sure I'm not disappointed for wakeboarding (FYI never landed an inverted trick but would like to) and definately want to wakesurf.

Searched this forum had trouble finding info above I was looking for. What I do know from the forum: Since it is a new '08 I should be able to get upgrade to Malivue w/auto wedge. Which brings me to my 1st question: from the listing above it says "manual wedge" is that right for an '08? If so probably out of luck for the upgrade?

Any questions (for the dealer) or suggestions you have would be helpful?

ie: Ballast options, power wedge (if indeed it is manual wedge as listed), etc.

Thanks!!!!

Dang - that boat is real close to me! I'll have my Skier up their for gelcoat repair soon since the patrol boat hit us in the no wake zone. Mad.gif

That same dealer has a new VLX and an IRide you might want to look at....

http://www.navcompany.com/newboats/747/

http://www.navcompany.com/newboats/758/

The VLX has a power wedge, the IRide has a manual one. Both look awesome.

I have an XTI, but I like to slalom. If you are into wakesports only, I'd go with a v-drive.

Plus1.gif unless you just have to have an XTi then I could give you a smoking deal on mine :)

Looking at crossover so daughters would not have learn with a big wake behind them and tube unfortunately! Boat seemed like a good deal (work on price a little bit). I know there are sacrifies but could you wake surf behind this?

It's not ideal. In terms of price, you're in the ballpark for a nice used or leftover VLX/Vride. Tubing isn't an issue IMO in terms of wake size, & as far as learning there are ways around it. If surfing is important to you & you have no desire to slalom much, then you'll be looking to get into a vdrive in a couple of years if you buy an XTi. I can almost guarantee it.

If wakesurfing is a primary goal the XTI isn’t the best model, but yes it’s doable.

FYI the Maliview will not be added to any ’08 that is used.

No boat can be upgraded to the power wedge, but the floating wedge can be added or replace the standard wedge, cost is ~1k.

The wakeboard wake will be intermediate, and the slalom wake isn’t all that fantastic either.

Looking at crossover so daughters would not have learn with a big wake behind them and tube unfortunately! Boat seemed like a good deal (work on price a little bit). I know there are sacrifies but could you wake surf behind this?

I wouldn't worry about the wake on a v-drive being too big. My daughter first skied when she was 6 behind our VTX. With little kids, or even middle-schoolers you are going to go slow and they will be between the wakes anyhow until they are ready to go outside the wake. At speeds of 10-20 MPH it is not really going to make that much difference to someone crossing the wake for the first time whether it is a v-drive or DD. They will both seem huge to them. Ditto with tubing. You can tow them and keep them centered behind the boat until they are ready to cross the wake.

Also, my son didn't really start boarding when he was about 13 or 14 , and straight away he went from no ballast to full ballast. Your kids will move very quickly past the wake if you are on the water alot.

Personally, I would skip the xti and go for a V-Drive based on the criteria you have provided. You will also have better resale options with a v-drive.

Edited by TheBlackPearl
If wakesurfing is a primary goal the XTI isn’t the best model, but yes it’s doable.

No boat can be upgraded to the power wedge, but the floating wedge can be added or replace the standard wedge, cost is ~1k.

The wakeboard wake will be intermediate, and the slalom wake isn’t all that fantastic either.

It all depends on how you set it up :)

The one thing that is a must for wakeboarding and surfing are pop bags along with fat sacs :)

Edited by 68Slalom

85' out and only two people in the boat, pop bags and one fat sac in the lounge area :)

post-2083-1247082352_thumb.jpg

Edited by 68Slalom

The one thing that is a must for wakeboarding and surfing are pop bags along with fat sacs :)

Here's the problem though - you need weight in an XTi just to get to the stock-no-ballast wake of a Vride or VLX, especially for surfing. Add to it the lack of storage on an XTi vs. a vdrive to stow that weight......seriously, if you're not a skier you shouldn't be looking at an XTi unless you're really hung up on having a direct drive.

It's not that an XTi isn't capable as a wakeboard/wakesurf boat, it's just that you have to work harder at it. In that context, the convenience factor just isn't there like it is with a vdrive.

Here's the problem though - you need weight in an XTi just to get to the stock-no-ballast wake of a Vride or VLX, especially for surfing. Add to it the lack of storage on an XTi vs. a vdrive to stow that weight......seriously, if you're not a skier you shouldn't be looking at an XTi unless you're really hung up on having a direct drive.

It's not that an XTi isn't capable as a wakeboard/wakesurf boat, it's just that you have to work harder at it. In that context, the convenience factor just isn't there like it is with a vdrive.

Oh I know, That picture is also at 26 mph, at 22 it was to steep and wide for my son to get over at 85' out. I was just trying to make a point of Malibududes comment on the "intermediate" wake. I've got it so we can set up approx. 800lbs in the rear that doesn't take up any room without anyone sitting in the back, plus the use of the power wedge at the right angle. With people back there we have averaged another 500-600lbs, much more wake than we need. Once you get people in the back the front starts asking for more weight. No where what you get with a VD, but I still can enjoy a nice ski wake when we are completely empty :)

Edited by 68Slalom
Jeez, a faceplant (or better yet, head plant) at that speed is going to really be painful.

Yeah, this was at the end of last year and he was really getting better, there are actually some other pictures with a little more air than that but I don't have them here at work. I've already accepted that I'm not keeping up with or even trying, I'll stick to skiing :)

I bought an iRide, which must be a close cousin of the XTI. I don't regret it from the price I paid and the fact that I like to slalom ski. But as Black Pearl said, I'd find it difficult to believe that my tubing wake and ski wake at 20-24 mph is that much smaller than a vRide with the same hull. If the price is anywhere near the same in your case, go for the v-drive now. I agree with Wakegirl that if you don't do it now, you'll be looking at them soon. I know that I am. I still have dreams of a VTX with a cut-diamond hull.

Tony,

Don't confuse the intermediate wake w/ there isn't a wake back there. First most aren't willing to place bags all over the floor to produce the larger wakes. The XTI has plenty of wake to preform various tricks, heck, even behind my old SLXI tantrums and backrolls we're routinely pulled technique is the key. Just if you want to wakeboard/surf the XTI isn't the ticket imho.

Tony,

Don't confuse the intermediate wake w/ there isn't a wake back there. First most aren't willing to place bags all over the floor to produce the larger wakes. The XTI has plenty of wake to preform various tricks, heck, even behind my old SLXI tantrums and backrolls we're routinely pulled technique is the key. Just if you want to wakeboard/surf the XTI isn't the ticket imho.

I agree, and typically we don't use fat sacs on the floor unless we surf because we always have more than 4-5 people with us, but that particular day it was only three of us so I had no choice but to use the addition of a bag for more weight.

Thanks everyone that is exactly what I needed. I guess the fact I asked the question I already had my doubts. Although it did seem like a nice price for a brand new boat, no XTI for me.

Thanks everyone that is exactly what I needed. I guess the fact I asked the question I already had my doubts. Although it did seem like a nice price for a brand new boat, no XTI for me.

It is hard to emotionally back down, once you're all excited about a boat. Good work taking the feedback and making the right choice. I'll tell you that 99.9% of the people that pop on here to ask a question usually ignore the feedback. Refreshing to see someone listen to those of us that have seen people buy & regret

I don't know if you have considered a vtx at all, but a vtx with the cut diamond hull is very skiable. It also throws a sick wake for surfing and boarding. Best of both worlds if you are a skier and a boarder/surfer.