Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MASSIVE PROBLEMS, need help/opinions

I don't know where to start.

The boat ran O.K. when it was first put in the water in May. Shortly after it started dying after 25 minutes of running. The boat also had an excessive amount of water in it. The local dealer was convinced the perfect pass was the cause of all problems and not concerned with the water. So $1200 later for an array of lake tests, fuel charges and other garbage I get the boat back. 25 Minutes later the boat is running like garbage! Finally after I instructed the dealership to check the fuel pump/regulator the problem was fixed, the boat still had excessive water. The boat ran good for about 2 hours on the 4th of July, and then tonight the CATASTROPHE happened. While on a night cruise on Tims Ford Lake the boat filled up with water and the engine died (Praying it isn't hydro-locked!). The police had to tow the vessel to shore and I was able to get it on the trailer before the boat became a scuba diving attraction. When I got the boat out of the water one of the fins was hanging on by only a few threads and water was rushing out of the mounting holes, it also appears a freeze plug is missing on initial inspection. SO, where to go from here?!?!?!? The air filter never got submerged but I cannot confirm water didn't get sucked into the boat as I finally am home at 4 in the morning. Does anybody have any suggestions/help or GREAT dealership recommendations in the Nashville area? I live on Tims Ford Lake and there is absolutely no chance in hell the boat will ever be worked on by the dealership here again.

Man I hate that for you.

I can't believe the dealer was not concerned about the water in the boat!!! They thought it was perfect pass???

I would pull all the spark plugs and see if any water comes out. Then crank the motor to see if you here any bad noises. The motor should spin freely and easily with no noise whatsoever. The distributor or coil or some other electrical component probably (hopefully) got wet and the motor just died. Probably a good thing because it sounds as if the motor was pumping water into the boat.

With the freeze plug missing it sound as if there could have been something done wrong during the winterization. Check the oil and make sure it is still a good color. I have never had a freeze plug just come out before but there is always a first.

Not sure about a Malibu dealership in Navshville - I live in Huntsville but primarily boat on Tims Ford . I think the Tims Ford Dealer is struggling.

I live on Tims Ford as well - I think I would look at the Malibu dealer outside of Chattanooga if you don't want to use the local shop. I think they are in Charleston TN - I don't have any direct experience with them, but have seen some positive post. In Nashville there is only TNT Watersports - I don't any experience with them either. What part of the lake do you live on?

Some things you can do before you take it to a dealer, unless it is under warranty.

Change oil and trans fluids, filters, fuel filters as well.

Replace the soft plug. For ease of the install while testing you could use and expansion type plug.

Since you may have had some water in the engine, I would put a shot of oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over a few times. Maybe by hand for the first time or two, then use the starter to spin the engine.

Perform a compression test. Listen real close for air pressure leaking through the intake and exhaust. All spark plugs should be out during this test. Note the pressure and record it for all cylinders. Are there any other noises while turning it over. Make notes of what it sounds like and location. You should be able to get some general specs from a dealer of maybe a member will know. Sorry I don't.

If the hull wasn't damaged, rebolt the fin in place with new bolts and sealant.

Take apart or open up all electrical connections around the engine and make sure they are dry and clean. You may even want to put some non-conducting grease on them.

Check in the distributor cap for any moisture.

Is the raw water pump impellar good? Check it.

Drain some gas out to check for water in the fuel tank. If you took on enough to stall the engine, some water may have gotten in through the vent opening.

If the compression looks good, no unknown noises, the engine spins easily, and the fluids and filters are changed, I would say it is time to connect a fake-a-lake and try to fire it up. You said it was running fine until it flooded.

Just my $0.02 worth if that happened to me.

Some things you can do before you take it to a dealer, unless it is under warranty.

Change oil and trans fluids, filters, fuel filters as well.

Replace the soft plug. For ease of the install while testing you could use and expansion type plug.

Since you may have had some water in the engine, I would put a shot of oil in each cylinder and turn the engine over a few times. Maybe by hand for the first time or two, then use the starter to spin the engine.

Perform a compression test. Listen real close for air pressure leaking through the intake and exhaust. All spark plugs should be out during this test. Note the pressure and record it for all cylinders. Are there any other noises while turning it over. Make notes of what it sounds like and location. You should be able to get some general specs from a dealer of maybe a member will know. Sorry I don't.

If the hull wasn't damaged, rebolt the fin in place with new bolts and sealant.

Take apart or open up all electrical connections around the engine and make sure they are dry and clean. You may even want to put some non-conducting grease on them.

Check in the distributor cap for any moisture.

Is the raw water pump impellar good? Check it.

Drain some gas out to check for water in the fuel tank. If you took on enough to stall the engine, some water may have gotten in through the vent opening.

If the compression looks good, no unknown noises, the engine spins easily, and the fluids and filters are changed, I would say it is time to connect a fake-a-lake and try to fire it up. You said it was running fine until it flooded.

Just my $0.02 worth if that happened to me.

nice post!