Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ski ?s

5oclocksomewhere

when I got my bu 2 years ago I wasnt planning on doin much skiing, more boarding and surfing, well we just got back from powell [ didnt take my boat my buddy had his] and got the bug again , I know wakeboarding topics dominate this forum but I know that there are plenty here who ski , here is my situation , 6'0" 210lbs , when I was younger I could make a full pass on a course , not planning on much course time but you never know mainly just hard open water, I have a ho rival I got when I got the boat , great for the wife and teaching newbis , but not enough ski for me , I want to stick with a wide body ski for ease of starts ,also want a ski that will work well in less than perfect water, so heres my list any info on them good or bad would be great

obrien synchro

connelly f1x

radar senate or theory

ho triumph

thanks again

when I got my bu 2 years ago I wasnt planning on doin much skiing, more boarding and surfing, well we just got back from powell [ didnt take my boat my buddy had his] and got the bug again , I know wakeboarding topics dominate this forum but I know that there are plenty here who ski , here is my situation , 6'0" 210lbs , when I was younger I could make a full pass on a course , not planning on much course time but you never know mainly just hard open water, I have a ho rival I got when I got the boat , great for the wife and teaching newbis , but not enough ski for me , I want to stick with a wide body ski for ease of starts ,also want a ski that will work well in less than perfect water, so heres my list any info on them good or bad would be great

obrien synchro

connelly f1x

radar senate or theory

ho triumph

thanks again

I'm 5'10" about 200 - 205 (depending on the day Whistling.gif ). I ski on a 69" HO Triumph with double animal bindings. I like the setup, but to be honest it's the only slalom ski I've ever really skiied on. The Triumph is pretty easy to get up on. The shape of the ski really gets you out of the water quickly on deep water startes. I tried to get a test run on a Connelly F1X and was always asked what I didn't like about my Triumph. I won't go into the longer version of the story, but never got to try it.

I don't think you'd sorry you went with a Triumph if you get it.

check out www.fifteenoff.com They have a review of both of these skis

The FIX is a good ski for what you have described, so is a Conelly Concept. I don't have any personal knowledge of the other skis you mentioned. I will say that I am 5'10 and 207 lbs right now and ski on a 68" F1 and I think the size is perfect, although I was much heavier when I first got the ski and I can say I wouldn't recommend being any heavier than 210lbs. on a 68" ski. :)

Of the 5 skis you mentioned, 2 - The Senate & F1X are mild wide ride skis - typically about 1/4" wider than their top of the line skis. The Synchro, Triumph & Theory are about another 1/4" wider than the other two.

I ski a 69" Senate, but am 6-2 & 240. The triumph, theory & Synchro would all be easier to start, but not quite as responsive as the F1X & Senate. I do think you'd be pretty happy on any of them compared to your Rival. Take a l ook as the ski reviews on fifteenoff.com for a 30MPH course skier's (M3Fan) opinion of some of your mentioned skis.

thanks for the info , the ski I was on at powell was an icon , it seemed to have alot of shape and I got along whith it pretty well , the connelly outlaw reminds me of it alot but maybe a little wider, but I thought it would be to much like the rival , any thoughts ?

The Outlaw probably won't be quite responsive enough - I'm coming from the ski that's the predecessor to the Outlaw, and if you skiied the course before you'll probably want to go with something different. You and I are in the exact same situation and the same height/weight. I've decided to go with the 69' Triumph with a single Venom front binding with an adjustable RTP. Going to order it this week. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in if you can wait a bit...

I have used an HO Turbo for almost 20 years and it is an awesome ski, but i need to get something a litte easier to ride.

I am looking at a Triumph, based a lot on the long term success of the Turbo.

And height is irrelevant with ski size - weight and boat speed determine the right length until you get to the super wide versions.

radar theory or ho triumph ?

I'm very familiar with all the skis you mensioned except the F1X. Heard lots of very positive things about it but never had the opportunity to ride one. Between the Triumph and the Theory the Theory is more of a performance ski although the Triumph is a very good ski as well. At your size the 67" will be the correct size, a 69" at your size is too much ski if you want a performance ski. I'm 6'3" and 205 riding a 67" Theory for my 30 mph wide ride ki and I love it, been into 38 off @ 30 mph on mine. You'll be very happy on a Theory.

BTW the Iconn you rode was probably a PowerCarv. My first wide ride was a PowerCarv, odd looking design but a very good performance wide ride ski. I think Obrien owns the design now but I forget what they call it. Excellent performance wide ride.

Ed

I learned how to slalom on an HO Rival. From that I went to a 71" HO Triumph and then I jumped over to a 69" Radar Senate. I did drop from about 260 to 240 while on the Triumph and have further moved down to about 220 since I have been on my Senate. I noticed a jump in performance with each move and I will say that I really like my Senate a lot. The Triumph was a nice ski that turned really well but it was hard to keep on edge through the wakes. I find that the Senate is a very responsive ski and its easier to keep on edge. I really like mine a lot.

Ive had great luck with Ho products. Ive had 2 slalom skis so far. the CDX1 back in 2000 i think it was. It had the flames on the ski. I ski ski a A1 and love it. im 6'0 at 210 and i run the 68.75 and run 36 mph. The triamph sounds like a really good ski for you. Id recomend the animal bo0t for sure. either the double with pivat or get the standrard toe plate. check the speed chart at www.ho.com that way u can get the speed to weight ratio for your ski. it sounds pretty right on to me. my ski is dead on I never had to change a thing. im just going to now turn my back blinding a bit so its not so hard on my knee and it should help with my offside cut.

Edited by 1994echelon

I'm very familiar with all the skis you mensioned except the F1X. Heard lots of very positive things about it but never had the opportunity to ride one. Between the Triumph and the Theory the Theory is more of a performance ski although the Triumph is a very good ski as well. At your size the 67" will be the correct size, a 69" at your size is too much ski if you want a performance ski. I'm 6'3" and 205 riding a 67" Theory for my 30 mph wide ride ki and I love it, been into 38 off @ 30 mph on mine. You'll be very happy on a Theory.

BTW the Iconn you rode was probably a PowerCarv. My first wide ride was a PowerCarv, odd looking design but a very good performance wide ride ski. I think Obrien owns the design now but I forget what they call it. Excellent performance wide ride.

Ed

I went to buy a theory at performance ski in orlando and they only had a 67 and the salesmen said I should get a 69 , now you got me thinking Whistling.gif

it was a power carve , what a great fatboy ski Rockon.gif

Edited by 5oclocksomewhere

Ed

I went to buy a theory at performance ski in orlando and they only had a 67 and the salesmen said I should get a 69 , now you got me thinking Whistling.gif

it was a power carve , what a great fatboy ski Rockon.gif

The 3 - 4 times I've been in Perf Ski all the salespeople were young wakeboarders who didn't seem too with it on their knowledge of slalom skis. If you want to just ride, a 69" will probably be fine. If you want to rip a 67" should be the right size for your height and weight IMO, the 69" is way too much surface area. The 67" Theory has the surface area of a 68 - 68.5" standard width slalom ski. At 30 mph and under that's more than plenty.

You should contact John Horton through his web site www.ballofspray.com, he has access to a lot of Radar stuff and generally has some really good pricing on it. Very good, active, and informative slalom skiers message board on that site too if you're not familiar with it.

Ed