Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake surfing - lessons from Summer (so far!)

PowPowPatrol

Hello fellow Malibu Wakesurfers...

We have been fooling around all summer in the Lake Tahoe area trying to get the wake "perfect" and while its definitely not a science - here are some of our findings...

1. Wedge. You need to make sure the Power Wedge is calibrated. We had a Malibu factory tech do it and it made a huge difference. A small difference in the calibration makes a big difference in the wake. Our Calibration was about 30 degrees off... That meant that the wedge was at 40 degrees from horizontal - it provided good down force but the drag was nasty - sometimes we couldn't get up to speed. The wedge Max Wake position is about 10 degrees up from the deployed (wedge horizontal/down) position. While I have never been able to prove this I believe the calibration drifts over time. Some days the wake changes for no apparent reason. We calibrate once every other week to make sure this variable is removed. Take some photos of the wedge in the max wake position for future reference... Underwater is good.

2. Heel. Getting the boat to lay on its side seems to be critical to the shape of the wave. Try this - get a couple of 200 lbs guys to swing on the tower once you are at speed. Notice how the wake changes? If you don't get the boat leaning on its side, the wave face is too flat and the lip doesn't have much punch. When you get it to about 15 degrees (leaning to surf side) the wake kicks up like a real surf wave.

3. Trim. We have found that you can have too much weight in the back of the boat (bow in the air). When you do this the boat is hard to get up to speed and the wave is way too short. We always have some weight / people in the bow. The way I know the trim is right is when I am driving the bow of the boat is a hands width below the horizon. It will be different for every driver - but having a reference point is really helpful...

4. Speed. We have tried every speed from 9.5 to 12+ mph. We have found the sweet spot to be between 10.5 and 11.5 mph. If you want a longer wake - increase the speed. Usually the surfer has to be able to pump the board at 11+ mph - if not they will probably get spat out the back of the wave... We have had surfers 20 feet back from the swim platform and still riding - they can pump their way forward. Here is a video of Kathy surfing in the Lake Tahoe area.

5. Crew position. We have found that the wake is _very_ sensitive to crew position. If you have a crew who are prepared to play - we assign positions and try and make things repeatable. We almost always have one of the crew swing off the tower on the surf side. We also use crew to get the trim right - move people forward if the boat is too bow up... We fooled around with this a lot - it really helps.

6. Wave size. The biggest wave we have created is between knee and thigh high - as measured from the flat water to the top of the wave. Note - the wave gets smaller as you move away from the swim platform... If its 3 foot at the highest point - its probably more like 1.5 feet 20 foot back... To achieve this we had Rear MLS and Center MLS full. 750 in rear locker. 700 under surfside seats (2 x 350lbs). 3 people surf side (one up front).

Here are a few pictures of that wave - Alex from Porters Sports Tahoe is the rider.

Wake Photos

7. Board selection. While its not really part of the wake optimization story - its another story in its own right... I have been surfing for more than 30 years in the ocean and so we decided to try a lot of different boards - including some surf boards (not wakesurf boards). What we found is that the ratio of the weight of the rider to the volume of the board is the

most critical factor in how far back you can surf (assuming the same wake of course!). Kathy - see video above - is a buck twenty and she can ride the shredstixx mako waaaaaaaay back. I am 210 lbs and I can ride it back but not that far. We decided to try a 6'8" 7S fish (ocean surfboard). Unbelievable - I could ride so far back it was crazy... The bummer is that most boards DONT come with a volume measure... It would be so simple if they did. So I created a calculator which is rough but will probably help. I have attached a spreadsheet - this calculated the ideal volume of an ocean surfboard. I would reduce this by 30-40% for wake surfboards.

BVC.xls

Ok. Well that's about it. I hoe this is helpful to all you wakesurfers out there.

Look forward to hearing about your findings and experiments... Keep trying different stuff!

WOW you take your surfing serious!

Great info we usually bust out the surfers when the water is rough or the wally's are out in full force (12pm-5pm), its a great alternative to break up the day, and lots of fun with a group

We run 300lb in the bow,400in the locker and 700 in the rear surf locker and 400 on the surf side seat. ONe thing we added this year that really formed the wake was the manual wedge it does make a differnce. Plus anyone in the boat

Our spped is 9.8mph and we ride a yellow island surfer my wife is 145 and I am 200lbs it is good for both of us.

You can kind of see our average wake in my avatar

Edited by greenworks
WOW you take your surfing serious!

Great info we usually bust out the surfers when the water is rough or the wally's are out in full force (12pm-5pm), its a great alternative to break up the day, and lots of fun with a group

We run 300lb in the bow,400in the locker and 700 in the rear surf locker and 400 on the surf side seat. ONe thing we added this year that really formed the wake was the manual wedge it does make a differnce. Plus anyone in the boat

Our spped is 9.8mph and we ride a yellow island surfer my wife is 145 and I am 200lbs it is good for both of us.

You can kind of see our average wake in my avatar

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you...... I hope that was enough!

I will start working on it this weekend...... Thumbup.gif

We have been fooling around all summer in the Lake Tahoe area trying to get the wake "perfect" and while its definitely not a science - here are some of our findings...

1. Wedge. You need to make sure the Power Wedge is calibrated. We had a Malibu factory tech do it and it made a huge difference. A small difference in the calibration makes a big difference in the wake. Our Calibration was about 30 degrees off... That meant that the wedge was at 40 degrees from horizontal - it provided good down force but the drag was nasty - sometimes we couldn't get up to speed. The wedge Max Wake position is about 10 degrees up from the deployed (wedge horizontal/down) position. While I have never been able to prove this I believe the calibration drifts over time. Some days the wake changes for no apparent reason. We calibrate once every other week to make sure this variable is removed. Take some photos of the wedge in the max wake position for future reference... Underwater is good.

2. Heel. Getting the boat to lay on its side seems to be critical to the shape of the wave. Try this - get a couple of 200 lbs guys to swing on the tower once you are at speed. Notice how the wake changes? If you don't get the boat leaning on its side, the wave face is too flat and the lip doesn't have much punch. When you get it to about 15 degrees (leaning to surf side) the wake kicks up like a real surf wave.

3. Trim. We have found that you can have too much weight in the back of the boat (bow in the air). When you do this the boat is hard to get up to speed and the wave is way too short. We always have some weight / people in the bow. The way I know the trim is right is when I am driving the bow of the boat is a hands width below the horizon. It will be different for every driver - but having a reference point is really helpful...

4. Speed. We have tried every speed from 9.5 to 12+ mph. We have found the sweet spot to be between 10.5 and 11.5 mph. If you want a longer wake - increase the speed. Usually the surfer has to be able to pump the board at 11+ mph - if not they will probably get spat out the back of the wave... We have had surfers 20 feet back from the swim platform and still riding - they can pump their way forward. Here is a video of Kathy surfing in the Lake Tahoe area.

5. Crew position. We have found that the wake is _very_ sensitive to crew position. If you have a crew who are prepared to play - we assign positions and try and make things repeatable. We almost always have one of the crew swing off the tower on the surf side. We also use crew to get the trim right - move people forward if the boat is too bow up... We fooled around with this a lot - it really helps.

6. Wave size. The biggest wave we have created is between knee and thigh high - as measured from the flat water to the top of the wave. Note - the wave gets smaller as you move away from the swim platform... If its 3 foot at the highest point - its probably more like 1.5 feet 20 foot back... To achieve this we had Rear MLS and Center MLS full. 750 in rear locker. 700 under surfside seats (2 x 350lbs). 3 people surf side (one up front).

Here are a few pictures of that wave - Alex from Porters Sports Tahoe is the rider.

Wake Photos

7. Board selection. While its not really part of the wake optimization story - its another story in its own right... I have been surfing for more than 30 years in the ocean and so we decided to try a lot of different boards - including some surf boards (not wakesurf boards). What we found is that the ratio of the weight of the rider to the volume of the board is the

most critical factor in how far back you can surf (assuming the same wake of course!). Kathy - see video above - is a buck twenty and she can ride the shredstixx mako waaaaaaaay back. I am 210 lbs and I can ride it back but not that far. We decided to try a 6'8" 7S fish (ocean surfboard). Unbelievable - I could ride so far back it was crazy... The bummer is that most boards DONT come with a volume measure... It would be so simple if they did. So I created a calculator which is rough but will probably help. I have attached a spreadsheet - this calculated the ideal volume of an ocean surfboard. I would reduce this by 30-40% for wake surfboards.

BVC.xls

Ok. Well that's about it. I hoe this is helpful to all you wakesurfers out there.

Look forward to hearing about your findings and experiments... Keep trying different stuff!

LOTS of good info. I was thinking trying mls full but non surfside 750 rear locker, 2 750's side seat and try a 750 up front to see how long I could get it. Think thats too much weight in front ?

LOTS of good info. I was thinking trying mls full but non surfside 750 rear locker, 2 750's side seat and try a 750 up front to see how long I could get it. Think thats too much weight in front ?

I don't think weight on the non surfside is helpful. I am not sure that you need a full 750 up front. Maybe 300 lbs. If you want a longer wake just increase the speed. We have ridden at 12 mph++

• 3 weeks later...

A+ post...very helpful. The weekend can't get here soon enough.

So it's ok to use the 750lb ballast in the rear despite the weight warning huh (2009 wakesetter lsv)?

A+ post...very helpful. The weekend can't get here soon enough.

So it's ok to use the 750lb ballast in the rear despite the weight warning huh (2009 wakesetter lsv)?

yes, just DO NOT fill the 750 before the hard tank it will be sitting on is full.

Thanks for the info. We went out yesterday. The 750 worked awesome. I had my wife, sister and our baby girl and we had a better wake than the prior weekend when we had 10 onboard.

Funny story. Friday night i was examining the fat sac and tsunami pump after i bought them (too dark to go out). I was impressed by the quality of materials and the fact that they provided an extra plug for the fat sac. The next day when i was filling up the sac (after I had filled the hard tank!) i noticed that the sac wasn't filling past a certain amount. I look in the back and realize there is a third opening I didn't notice the night before! Extra plug my ____!

You can imagine the scene. Me trying to locate the third plug. Water gushing into the locker at a gazillion gallons per minute. My wife screaming that we're going to sink (and ignoring my request to unplug the tsunami pump). The baby crying. And this is all happening at 6:50am (the only time I can find flat water on the lake).

Still, it was awesome and I had my first legit surf ride (threw rope into boat) Rockon.gif

a couple of questions before our new 09 VTX boat arrives Thumbup.gif

1. is it necessary to have the boat going through the water sideways? or can i just run full ballast and trim the wedge to give me a wave big enough to ride?

2. can i just use a surfboard or do i need a wakesurfer? what are the main differences?

thanks

Couple pics of my boat weighted down this past weekend.

Full MLS accept surf side

750# in rear locker surf side

400# under seats on surf side

2 400# bags as far forward as possible up ontop of the surf side seats.

Wedge fully deployed.

Unfortunately no good pics of the wave, just one teaching to surf for the first time.

P7310214.jpg

P7310217.jpg

P7310220.jpg

P7310243.jpg

Thanks for the info. We went out yesterday. The 750 worked awesome. I had my wife, sister and our baby girl and we had a better wake than the prior weekend when we had 10 onboard.

Funny story. Friday night i was examining the fat sac and tsunami pump after i bought them (too dark to go out). I was impressed by the quality of materials and the fact that they provided an extra plug for the fat sac. The next day when i was filling up the sac (after I had filled the hard tank!) i noticed that the sac wasn't filling past a certain amount. I look in the back and realize there is a third opening I didn't notice the night before! Extra plug my ____!

You can imagine the scene. Me trying to locate the third plug. Water gushing into the locker at a gazillion gallons per minute. My wife screaming that we're going to sink (and ignoring my request to unplug the tsunami pump). The baby crying. And this is all happening at 6:50am (the only time I can find flat water on the lake).

Still, it was awesome and I had my first legit surf ride (threw rope into boat) Rockon.gif

ROFL. ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif

Wedge fully deployed.

Unfortunately no good pics of the wave, just one teaching to surf for the first time.

P7310214.jpg

P7310217.jpg

P7310220.jpg

P7310243.jpg

what speed do you run? Wave looks nice! trying to figure out if its huge or she is short. haha.

Wedge fully deployed.

P7310214.jpg

P7310217.jpg

P7310220.jpg

P7310243.jpg

what speed do you run? Wave looks nice! trying to figure out if its huge or she is short. haha.

Both. Running about 11.4 mph.

a couple of questions before our new 09 VTX boat arrives Thumbup.gif

1. is it necessary to have the boat going through the water sideways? or can i just run full ballast and trim the wedge to give me a wave big enough to ride?

2. can i just use a surfboard or do i need a wakesurfer? what are the main differences?

thanks

You can use a surfboard for sure. only issue is at takeoff - you need to push down on the heel rail which can be hard if the board has a lot of volume. But once you are up you are in easy street! Wakesurfboards are much lower volume (length and thickness). For example a normal guy surfboard is 6'2" x 19" x 2 1/2. An equivalnt wakesurfboard is 4'11" x 21" x 2".

On the ballast question - if you mean do you need external ballast (fat sacs) over and above the MLS ballast and the wedge - the answer is yes. You need a 750 is the rear locker at a minimum - probably a few more fat sacs along the surf side - under the seats and in the bow to get the rim correct.

Wedge fully deployed.

Looks good. Boat is heeled over to the surf side. Wave looks great. Check the speed with a GPS and calibrate the speedo... 10 mph (true) for beginner. 12 mph (true) for expert. Should be able to surf without rope 20' back from boat.

Awesome looking boat!

We did the very same thing, i was anchored though and able to bildge out most of the water before i found the 3rd plug!!!

Edited by ESCAPE 2000

So it sounds like all of you have a newer boat then we do. I have a 2000 23 Ft. escape. manual wake plate ( it's either up or all the way down no in-between) no built in ballast but i do have a 750 fat sack in the surfer side.

We tried to surf this week and i was not able to get a big enough wave (we did not have the fat sack full the 12volt system was not working) we had 4 adults about 180 plus per person on the surfer side. I have the 4'6" board and the rider was at the most 125 pounds.

I need some help we are very new at wake surfing and would really really like to do it like you have shown here.

P S i am 280 pounds and would like to also do it what do i need to do??

Thanks for your time and expert responses.

Edited by ESCAPE 2000

Wedge fully deployed.

Looks good. Boat is heeled over to the surf side. Wave looks great. Check the speed with a GPS and calibrate the speedo... 10 mph (true) for beginner. 12 mph (true) for expert. Should be able to surf without rope 20' back from boat.

Awesome looking boat!

Thanks. Speed is GPS verified and I didn't bother going slower as it was her first time on a surfboard and I knew it would be short lived and she wouldn't be letting go of the rope. I need to run more weight in the bow but don't unless I have a very experienced driver at the wheel as the nose loves to dip if the driver isn't paying attention.

tried wakesurfing on our first day out on our new 09 VLX!! :)

unfortunatly we werent able to let go of the rope and stay on the wave :(

one side of the ballast was full- 90L

center tank full- 220L

power wedge 70% up (approx.)

9.8 mph

5"11' surfboard

followed the maliview preset for the surf wake but wasnt at all big enough to give us slack rope :(

what are we doing wrong??!! is it the riding or the wake or both? lol

video link -

center tank full- 220L

9.8 mph

5"11' surfboard

followed the maliview preset for the surf wake but wasnt at all big enough to give us slack rope :(

video link -

How deep is the water? makes a big difference, also you need to throw a couple sacs in there. Like a 750 at least.

center tank full- 220L

9.8 mph

5"11' surfboard

video link -

Hey great vid - very helpful.

You need a lot more weight... My recommendation is a 750 lbs fat sac in the surf side rear locker, 2 x 400 lbs sacs under the surf side seats and a 400 lbs sac up front (surf side). Also - all crew need to be on the surf side.

Good luck!

center tank full- 220L

9.8 mph

5"11' surfboard

video link -

Hey great vid - very helpful.

You need a lot more weight... My recommendation is a 750 lbs fat sac in the surf side rear locker, 2 x 400 lbs sacs under the surf side seats and a 400 lbs sac up front (surf side). Also - all crew need to be on the surf side.

Good luck!

That boat only needs a 750# sac in the rear locker to get an amazing wave. It's strange I know but it's the truth, it gets big, clean, and lots of push. We did that in the 09 demo last year and we were amazed by the results. Boat didn't even lean over until you gave it some throttle and then it just dumped over to the surf side.

Edited by 06vlx

Wake Photos

BVC.xls

OK. Quick update...

1. Ballast. We are pretty much done on the experimentation. Here is our standard setups:

Left side (Regular foot). 750lbs Rear L, 2 x 400 lbs under the seats L and 400 lbs in the bow on the left side. Crew swinging.

Right side (Goofy). 750 lbs Rear R, 400 lbs under seat R and 400 lbs in the bow on the right side.

When surfing on the Left, we had to rotate the fuel intake on the left side. We also put a strip of masking tape across the Air Intake on the back corner. We are not sure if this is an issue - but we are playing safe. Any ideas?

2. Prop. We had our prop modified to reduce the pitch. The rationale was to increase the RPM at surf speed (12 mph). It made a big difference. We had our pitch reduced to 12.5 inches from 14. We are at 3500 RPM at 12 mph (gps). Highly recommended. See also the thread on ACME prop for wake surfing.

3. Speed. First up, the spped reads different when surfing on the Left side compared to the right... Presumably because of different flow pattern over the impeller. We calibrated the speed on the L side with a GPS. Took a couple of shots but we eventually got it right. We are surfing at 11.5 - 12.5 mph. The Right side reads almost 1 mph different - so we surf on the Right at 12. 5 - 13.5 mph.

4 Wake. The wake on the Left is different to the wake on the Right. If you equalize for the different speed readings (that is use the GPS speed at 12 mph), the wake on the Left has more push (probably because there is more weight - 400 lbs) but the wake on the Right has more curl and looks more like a surfing wave. I don't have photos but will take some and post on the final summer update...

5. Boards. We have tried at least a dozen boards. Shredstixx JaMako is the favorite with the good riders. The Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" is the favorite with beginners. The LOST Stealth EST 6'4" is the favorite surfboard.

OK, that's about it. Hope it helps and let me know if you see anything different... We are learning every day...

Surf's Up!

You weight your boat exactly like I do mine accept I don't put the last 400 in the bow I put it on the seats furthest foreward. I will have to try putting it in the bow. What has been the magic wedge position for you.