Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder Modification??

Hydrogasm

I bought an '02 Response LX with an LS1 engine back in March and I have put about 12 hours on the boat so far. I am really loving it except for one thing. The boat twitches when going through the course after the skier stops pulling. A friend pointed it out when he was driving for me. He told me that he had another friend (also a Crew member)with a similar problem on another Response and was able to correct it by grinding away some of the material on one side of the rudder. I don't want to grind on my stainless rudder without some guidance. Has anyone down this before with success? Opinions once it was done? Is it possible to buy a rudder that has an adjustment to correct this problem? If you have the diagrams to do the grinding in PDF form that you could put a link in your reply, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, would a rudder from an '06 LXi bolt right into my boat? Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

You could buy one of the newer tunable rudders. It has a little shim in it that's adjustable, & will serve to act as the grinding that you would do to the current rudder. Not a cheap solution though, but it would be effective. Just a thought.

WakeGirl

I thought I remember seeing one that was tunable somewhere. If I could find a used one, I would consider it.

Thanks

Gary

PS: Did you ship my key floaties yet?

Do a search I have posted a few times about grinding my rudder. Very easy and works well for tuning the pull into/out of your steering............

It is an easy fix with a grinder, however with the stainless, that may be a differen't story. Nibral is fairly soft.

If I am not mistaken, if you want it to pull to the right more, take material off the right side, creating less pressure and pulling it right.

Don't they make ones that actually bolt on, I'll see if I can find the link.

The only thing you have to do is drill two small holes but you get the ability to make small adjustments.

68SLALOM

Do you mean that I can bolt it to my existing rudder? That sounds so much easier and cheaper. Please post a link if you find it. Thanks Gary.

68SLALOM

Do you mean that I can bolt it to my existing rudder? That sounds so much easier and cheaper. Please post a link if you find it. Thanks Gary.

I have to find the link but yes, when I was into racing VD's they made a kit with three different angle tabs that had threaded holes for a direct bolt up. You have to drill and put a countersink in your rudder, (note: the countersink is opposite of where you are bolting the tab) you could even grind on it if the pitch/angle was not enough or too much.

I too would be interested in the adjustable tab add-on (are they available in Stainless?). I could never muster up the courage to take a grinder to the nicely polished SS rudder on the Vette. This boat has incredible torque steer at warp speeds, but is fairly neutral at skiing speeds.

As an aside, my '87 skier has much better slow speed manners than the '97 which is attributable to the sizes of the rudders.

68SLALOM

That would be great if you can find it. Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

I may have to go through the Hotboat.com links to find this, CP Performance in Rohnert Park used to carry some aftermarket catalogs that were not available to the public so I may have to call Mike over there to see if he can help. I'm starting to remember that there were very few small machine shops/companies that made custom rudders and they provided this added component but this was over 15 years ago and I can't remember the names so I'll have to do some digging around.

I bought an '02 Response LX with an LS1 engine back in March and I have put about 12 hours on the boat so far. I am really loving it except for one thing. The boat twitches when going through the course after the skier stops pulling. A friend pointed it out when he was driving for me. He told me that he had another friend (also a Crew member)with a similar problem on another Response and was able to correct it by grinding away some of the material on one side of the rudder. I don't want to grind on my stainless rudder without some guidance. Has anyone down this before with success? Opinions once it was done? Is it possible to buy a rudder that has an adjustment to correct this problem? If you have the diagrams to do the grinding in PDF form that you could put a link in your reply, that would be greatly appreciated. Also, would a rudder from an '06 LXi bolt right into my boat? Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

How thick is the rudder? Approx. doesn't have to be exact.

I too would be interested in the adjustable tab add-on (are they available in Stainless?). I could never muster up the courage to take a grinder to the nicely polished SS rudder on the Vette. This boat has incredible torque steer at warp speeds, but is fairly neutral at skiing speeds.

As an aside, my '87 skier has much better slow speed manners than the '97 which is attributable to the sizes of the rudders.

Yes

68SLALOM

I would guess the trailing edge is about a 1/2" thick. Any luck finding the torque tabs you were looking for?? Let me know. Thanks Gary.