Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 WS VLX Power Wedge question

Hi...

I am new to these forums... actually new to the whole Malibu Wakesetter scene. So, a "hello" to everyone here!

I got a new 09 Wakesetter VLX delivered about a week ago. It has the MaliVue console, so it has the factory presets for wedge/ballast settings. When we put it in the water, i immediately set it to the factory setting "Wakeboarder Advanced" and took off. It was beautiful... everything worked as it should and the wake was awesome.

After figuring out that we are not anywhere near good enough to ride that setting, we backed off to the "intermediate setting" and all was good.

Yesterday i invited someone over who is pretty good so we put it back on "Advanced". This time the boat wouldn't go more than 10-15 MPH and the front of the boat sat high out of the water. We moved the wedge all the way down and it was fine, but the wake wasn't near as big as it was when we first went out.

I went in to the settings of the MaliVue and ran the Recalibration program for the Wedge after finding that the wedge was off (the gauge showed it as half down when it was all the way up) From what i could tell, it was fine, but it still did the same thing... engine going full thrust, and only going 10-15 MPH with the bow up in the air.

Has anyone had this issue with the wedge? What changed from when we first got it? Can the wedge cause that much drag to where it would hold a 350 Monsoon from going 20 MPH and planing off? If so, why didn't it do that when we first got it? Could it be engine issues, propeller issues, etc.

I am going to call the shop i bought it from and quiz them, but i hoped you guys could give me some pointers so i don't sound like an idiot :)

Thanks everyone...

-andy.

If you have the stock prop and lots of weight in the rear it could cause the boat to struggle to get on plane. Move some weight to the front or change the prop................or both. Also, do you have auto wedge? The way I understand it, with auto wedge the wedge does not activate until the boat is on plane.

If you have the stock prop and lots of weight in the rear it could cause the boat to struggle to get on plane. Move some weight to the front or change the prop................or both. Also, do you have auto wedge? The way I understand it, with auto wedge the wedge does not activate until the boat is on plane.

Hi there... thanks for the response!

I just got back from taking it out and noticed if i moved it a hair upwards from the preset that everything seemed OK. I think this I screwed it up a tad when i did the manual recalibration.

Also, after i read your post i checked the settings for the Auto wedge and it was turned OFF -- by default too. It's after dusk so i can't have a wake, but when i get up tomorrow i will try the auto-wedge feature.

Thanks ... it really helps to have feedback other than your own brain.

-andy.

I happen to drive a 09 VLX recently and had the exact same thing happen. When I first drove it for a few sets, everything was fine. We stopped to switch riders and I messed around with the Malivue, went to take off in one of the preset modes and exact same thing. I had the throttle nailed and the boat wouldn't go over 10 MPH. It was as if it was in a surf mode. The nose was sky high, I had to get out of the seat to see over the bow. We shut it down, messed with malivue a little and it sort of went back to normal.

Bottom line is, I think there's a bug in the software.

I happen to drive a 09 VLX recently and had the exact same thing happen. When I first drove it for a few sets, everything was fine. We stopped to switch riders and I messed around with the Malivue, went to take off in one of the preset modes and exact same thing. I had the throttle nailed and the boat wouldn't go over 10 MPH. It was as if it was in a surf mode. The nose was sky high, I had to get out of the seat to see over the bow. We shut it down, messed with malivue a little and it sort of went back to normal.

Is there a setting for Autowedge with the rider presets?

Is there a setting for Autowedge with the rider presets?

No... it's just a global setting in the MaliVue settings. So if it's on, it's on no matter what preset you use...

Just updating on the issue in case someone else has this same issue and searches this topic.

Turns out that the Power Wedge isn't calibrated 100% correct. If i set it to "Advanced" preset, i just have to move the wedge up/down a hair to get it perfect. So the calibration is off by a little bit. It's hard to calibrate that thing perfectly once it goes off kilter.

I can not get the "Auto Wedge" feature to work what-so-ever (yes, i turned it on in the wedge config)... may be a bug in the software, so i will just wait till a MaliVue firmware update.

Thanks for everyone's help... i really appreciate it!

-andy.

Edited to add:

I found this while looking at this post here.

1. Wedge. You need to make sure the Power Wedge is calibrated. We had a Malibu factory tech do it and it made a huge difference. A small difference in the calibration makes a big difference in the wake. Our Calibration was about 30 degrees off... That meant that the wedge was at 40 degrees from horizontal - it provided good down force but the drag was nasty - sometimes we couldn't get up to speed. The wedge Max Wake position is about 10 degrees up from the deployed (wedge horizontal/down) position. While I have never been able to prove this I believe the calibration drifts over time. Some days the wake changes for no apparent reason. We calibrate once every other week to make sure this variable is removed. Take some photos of the wedge in the max wake position for future reference... Underwater is good.

Edited by SonicMouse