Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Are these MSRP Prices?

Alibuma

Interesting. Looking at the Sunscape they have advertised there is a water cooled shaft seal. I am wondering if my 2005 has this because I have had absolutely no water in the bilge all year. I have 47 hours so far.

In the past Tinus was posting their price, not the MSRP, but these prices are so high compared to last year that I'm guessing they have to be the MSRP.

Also, from what I've seen Tinus has had very competitive prices in the past, so if this is what they are asking for the boat, you can expect all the other dealers to be the same.

I'm going to be in there tomorrow. I'll take a look at what they have for a posted price on the RLXi and see if it matches up.

Mike

Interesting.  Looking at the Sunscape they have advertised there is a water cooled shaft seal.  I am wondering if my 2005 has this because I have had absolutely no water in the bilge all year.  I have 47 hours so far.

All the shafts on all the boats are water cooled. Packing nut, etc. It should have a very slight drip, which yours probably does. Some of us, have much more than a drip, which is something that jsut needs to be adjusted.

My bilge was a little wetter than I liked.......then I found the problem while changing my oil, the hose for the warm water coming off the engine block was not attached securely. I remounted it, and now, dry bilge. :)

the prices are higher now due to he cost of everything it takes to make a boat; ie raw metal price up fiberglass price up plastic up my dealer said 10 to 15 thousand more this year over 05's

Just got back from Tinus. The prices they are posting on their website are MSRP.

Don't know if it's appropriate to post their asking price or not, so I won't chance upsetting Tinus. I will say, though, that what they were asking was even less than the 10% off of the MSRP I would expect most people to pay for a new boat and I thought was probably darn close to what the 2005's were going for. Very fair price IMHO.

I wonder if the manufacturers are trying to keep the 2006 prices as close to the 2005 prices as possible given the direction of prices at the pump.

Mike

Edited by mlange
Interesting.  Looking at the Sunscape they have advertised there is a water cooled shaft seal.  I am wondering if my 2005 has this because I have had absolutely no water in the bilge all year.  I have 47 hours so far.

All the shafts on all the boats are water cooled. Packing nut, etc. It should have a very slight drip, which yours probably does. Some of us, have much more than a drip, which is something that jsut needs to be adjusted.

My bilge was a little wetter than I liked.......then I found the problem while changing my oil, the hose for the warm water coming off the engine block was not attached securely. I remounted it, and now, dry bilge. :)

Actually Stewart, I should have said dripless shaft...like the PSS. Literally I have had absolutely no water at all. According to a conversation I had with Paul Singer (VP Sales with Malibu) at the boat show he suggested that they were dripless in '05. Not sure whether it is true or not.

I have 11 hours on my VLX and there is no water in the bilge either, it makes me wonder if the shaft is getting lubricated, I know there is an option for dripless packing, but I don't have that. anybody else wondering?

If this $3.00+ gas stays around what does everyone think will happen to boat sales? At some point I would think sales would start slowing a lot. Especially with the trend of 50k+ boats that are thirsty.

50K for a RLXi? Holy smokes!!! What were responses selling for 5 years ago? Half that?

I was at Ultimate Watersports and was looking at the new 06 VLX. I like my 05 better, I do not like the anchor light on the Illusion tower, I really don't like the new wedge. But, maybe I am just trying to satisfy myself by saying be glad you didn't wait.

Anyway, to my point. The sales manager stated that the 06 VLX is a lot more expensive than the 05 for example the wedge is now an option at $1800.

I am really glad I bought an 05

joe

I was at Ultimate Watersports and was looking at the new 06 VLX.  I like my 05 better, I do not like the anchor light on the Illusion tower, I really don't like the new wedge.  But, maybe I am just trying to satisfy myself by saying be glad you didn't wait. 

Anyway, to my point.  The sales manager stated that the 06 VLX is a lot more expensive than the 05 for example the wedge is now an option at $1800.

I am really glad I bought an 05

joe

I don't know where he got that figure, but it's not accurate. The Wedge plate is standard, the foil is an option at just under $700. If you do your homework & get a good deal at 10% off of retail, there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to pick up a nicely appointed VLX for the low $50s. Having just been through this, I know what the options cost & what the base cost is, & the price listed on that site....well it seems quite high for a boat with a Monsoon in it, even at MSRP. But, in the end they'll get what the market will bear.

I just cant believe that Malibu's prices are up that high now. They were always just a little bit less than MC and CC. I wonder what that will do the the used market. Intresting, Intresting!

I heard a rumor the other day that Brunswick may be purchasing Malibu. Seeing that Malibu is employee owned I doubted the rumor but I was told that percent owned by employees is very small. I wonder if that rumor and the higher prices are correlated.

I heard a rumor the other day that Brunswick may be purchasing Malibu.  Seeing that Malibu is employee owned I doubted the rumor but I was told that percent owned by employees is very small.  I wonder if that rumor and the higher prices are correlated.

That's going to be a tough sell, but it may stir the pot a bit. If that is the case, then say good bye to Indmar and welcome back Mercruiser. Just does'nt seem like a possible move. Maybe a dozen bowling balls for ballast?

Interesting rumor. Whether or not it has any legs, it's an interesting thing to think about...

I would think it would make good business sense for Brunswick. Malibu is one of the big three, but none of the big three are using Mercury. Ok, Malibu is, but it's probably like 1 in every 50 boats or something like that.

If Malibu itself turns a profit year-in-year-out and Mercury is then able to sell that many more engines, it would seem like a win-win situation.

Of course, I guess that theory would all depend on what kind of a price Bob would be willing to let Malibu go for.

Mike

I heard a rumor the other day that Brunswick may be purchasing Malibu.  Seeing that Malibu is employee owned I doubted the rumor but I was told that percent owned by employees is very small.  I wonder if that rumor and the higher prices are correlated.

I've seen rumors like that for several years now. I think that's all it is.

Brunswick did buy Lund and Crestliner from Genmar earlier this spring. It is very hard to buy either of those boats w/o a merc engine now. You can do it, but because they arent prepackaged its expensive. I havent heard of any other recent acquisitions though. Talked to a friend who works at Merc and she could not verify the Malibu rumor either.